Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trujillo or Lima on All Saints/souls weekend?
shesoffagain
post Jul 9 2008, 02:01 AM
Post #1

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 170482
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Still making decisions about my itinerary for the grand adventure...

I am trying to decide whether to be in Trujillo or Lima on All Saints/All Soul's weekend 1st and 2nd November. I will be arriving in Trujillo (from the North) around 29th October, so will have spent a few days in town and seen the sites by the weekend.
I originally planned to hang around thinking there might be a parade or something on the weekend, and then head to Lima on Monday (bus), just for a brief stopover before flying to iquitos. But, APEC will be in Trujillo from the 2nd Nov, and then later in Lima when I planned on seeing the sights there around the 20th! I am trying to shuffle my plans a bit to avoid APEC as much as possible, so I'm now thinking I would be better off leaving Trujillo a couple of days earlier, and heading to Lima on the weekend.
There are quite a few things I'd like to see in the capital so an extra couple of days would be nice.

I've done a web search for All Saints Day, but can't get much more info other than that there are "festivities" around Peru.

Does anyone know exactly how All Saints/All Souls weekend is celebrated in Peru? Will museums etc in Lima even be open that weekend?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jul 9 2008, 08:50 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

American Airlines says it's on Nov. 1-2 this year.
http://americanairlines.wcities.com/en/rec...128/record.html

I'll ask my friend about the opening hours...can't seem to find any information online about it.

Edit: this is what he says (He used to be a tourguide in Peru):

Not sure, looks like there'll be processions all day Nov 1st - and it IS a national holiday so more things might be closed. Generally speaking, everything shuts down in Latin-Am during religious holidays. Like good luck finding transport or booking anything during Good Friday on Easter

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Jul 9 2008, 03:51 PM
Post #3

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

These two days, generally merged as holiday days in most Catholic countries, falls on Saturday and Sunday this year. Each country will be taking it's own decisions if to includes a Friday or a Monday as an additional holiday day. From what I can ascertain, there will be no additional holiday in Peru. All regular archaeological sites and museums should be open for business.

No matter where you are, you will find celebrations on both days, probably more so as they fall on Saturday and Sunday this year. You probably won't find such elaborate and extensive celebrations as those in Mexico and Guatemala. Nevertheless they will still be impressive.

The main cemetery in Lima is El Angel. It is huge and probably somewhat overwhelming. If you want to see true indigenous celebrations you should look to smaller cemeteries in the "Pueblos Jovenes". Try to find someone to go with you and get to Comas or Villa pueblos. Here is a remarkable video of the Villa celebration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOOqEo7OZ_w...feature=related

You will probably find out much more information as you travel.

Good luck and Feliz Dia de los Muertos.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jul 9 2008, 03:53 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Good thinking...actually checking the calendar...nice touch, hahaha.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shesoffagain
post Jul 10 2008, 09:22 PM
Post #5

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 170482
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Thanks for the info Martin. That video footage was really interesting!
Thanks too for showing me the other name for the holiday - I got much further with my google search using the Spanish translation! (derr...)
Cheers
Dyani.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Jul 11 2008, 08:33 AM
Post #6

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

Glad you are finding things as you investigate further. Don't forget to tell us about your whole trip and your experiences of Dia de la Muerte on Travelpod

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 06:48 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Peru

Abancay Hotels
Aguas Calientes Hotels
Arequipa Hotels
Ayacucho Hotels
Cabanaconde Hotels
Cajamarca Hotels
Chachapoyas Hotels
Chiclayo Hotels
Chivay Hotels
Colca Canyon Hotels
Cusco Hotels
Huacachina Hotels
Huancayo Hotels
Huanchaco Hotels
Huaraz Hotels
Ica Hotels
Ilo Hotels
Iquitos Hotels
Juliaca Hotels
Lima Hotels
Machu Picchu Hotels
Mancora Hotels
Nasca Hotels
Ollantaytambo Hotels
Paracas Hotels
Pisac Hotels
Pisco Hotels
Piura Hotels
Pucallpa Hotels
Puerto Maldonado Hotels
Puno Hotels
Punta Hermosa Hotels
Tarapoto Hotels
Tarma Hotels
Trujillo Hotels
Tumbes Hotels
Urubamba Hotels
Vallecito Hotels
Yanama Hotels
Yucay Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.