Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

> United States of Quirky
introducinlyric
post Jul 6 2008, 10:51 PM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 56605

If you like your attractions a little left of centre then consider the below options that i read about in The Daily Telegraph's pull out travel section "Escape".

In Cottonwood, Idaho The Dog Bark Park Inn Dog Bark Park Inn offers rooms for the night for 4 people comfortably located in the belly of a 4 metre tall beagle nicknamed "Sweet Willy."

Perhaps more mainstream yet still quite "different" is the 80 year old Delta King Riverboat Delta King now permanently moored on the river at old town Sacramento, California.

In San Luis Obispo - The Madonna Inn Madonna Inn displays its multiple personalities with not a handful but 109 rooms each one meticulously decorated to suit a theme. Here you can play at being a caveman or Napoleon, take on the persona of a hillbilly or a conquistador or simply go ape in the jungle room.

Hawaii's Volcano Hotel Volcano Hotel should provide the necessary adrenalin rush. What if Mt Kilauea one of the World's most active volcanoes, grumbling away nearby blows its top tonight?

Train buffs should check out the beautifully recreated Aurora Express in Alaska Aurora Express where they sleep in restored railway carriages called Immaculate Conception, Can Can or Gold Mine, then wake up to the same stunning view.

An unusal option The Pigeon Point Lighthouse keepers quarters Pigeon Point Lighthouse on the central coast of California

In West Virginia there's the annual Road Kill Cook Off Road Kill Cook Off

Does a Garlic Festival tickle your fancy Love Garlic and Gilroy Garlic Festival at such events you can find such scrumptious dishes as garlic ice cream? garlic jelly?

More weird is Minnesota's Spam Museum Spam Museum which is filled with Spam - obilia erm....ok

Try Opaque Dark Dining Diners at the 3 west coast (L.A, San Francisco and San Diego) dont get to see their food at all because they are served in total darkness (this one actually sounds interesting to me).

A mammoth Tug-o-War appeal to you TugFest each August across the largest river in the USA the Mississippi, ten 20 member teams compete in hefting a 730 metre, 308kg rope which is stretched between Illinois and Iowa.

Fancy getting lost in a cornfield instead Severscornmaze CornField Maze Corn Mazes America

Beaver Oklahoma is designated Cow Chip throwing Capital of the world - the title quite frankly says enough Cow Chip

fancy a rodeo on skis with about a hundred ProRodeo cowboys from the US, Canada and Australia swapping chaps and spurs for skis and snowboards Cowboy Downhill

Kinetic Grand Championships Kinetic Universe here inventors get the chance to test their whimsically designed and manually powered sculpture contraptions on the art world's only triathlon - a three day- 64 km race. Cheating is apparently encouraged.

--------------------
Do You Want The Truth or Something Beautiful?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 8)
starlagurl
post Jul 7 2008, 10:21 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

QUOTE(introducinlyric @ Jul 6 2008, 11:51 PM) *

Train buffs should check out the beautifully recreated Aurora Express in Alaska Aurora Express where they sleep in restored railway carriages called Immaculate Conception, Can Can or Gold Mine, then wake up to the same stunning view.

Haha, I stayed in a caboose once in like, Pennsylvania or something...

In West Virginia there's the annual Road Kill Cook Off Road Kill Cook Off

Does a Garlic Festival tickle your fancy Love Garlic and Gilroy Garlic Festival at such events you can find such scrumptious dishes as garlic ice cream? garlic jelly?

Growse to both!

Try Opaque Dark Dining Diners at the 3 west coast (L.A, San Francisco and San Diego) dont get to see their food at all because they are served in total darkness (this one actually sounds interesting to me).

I've heard of this before, I think there's one in Toronto, and blind people actually are the waiters/waitresses. Pretty interesting!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Jul 7 2008, 04:42 PM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Jul 7 2008, 10:21 AM) *

I've heard of this before, I think there's one in Toronto, and blind people actually are the waiters/waitresses. Pretty interesting!

i think it would be pretty interesting but my question is if your served in total darkness how do the waiters/waitresses know where theyre going to be able to serve anyone's meals? i have to take a proper look at the website

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Jul 7 2008, 08:57 PM
Post #4

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

After reading this, how can anyone say that the USA is an underrated destination. We have some of the best street food, including Spam and Road Kill, and having your meal served in total darkness (Spam soufflé with road kill topping). If you are lucky, and in the right place at the right time, you might even get some cow chips landing in your plate. Now can any other country beat that?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Jul 7 2008, 09:55 PM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(mmbcross @ Jul 7 2008, 08:57 PM) *

We have some of the best street food, including Spam and Road Kill, and having your meal served in total darkness (Spam soufflé with road kill topping). If you are lucky, and in the right place at the right time, you might even get some cow chips landing in your plate. Now can any other country beat that?

laugh.gif this is hilarious!! i dont think any other country can beat that hehe

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jul 8 2008, 08:43 AM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(introducinlyric @ Jul 7 2008, 05:42 PM) *

i think it would be pretty interesting but my question is if your served in total darkness how do the waiters/waitresses know where theyre going to be able to serve anyone's meals? i have to take a proper look at the website

Well they're blind! So they're used to it!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Jul 9 2008, 01:05 AM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Jul 8 2008, 08:43 AM) *

QUOTE(introducinlyric @ Jul 7 2008, 05:42 PM) *

Well they're blind! So they're used to it!

are they blind in the american restaurants? i just thought you meant one in Toronto...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jul 9 2008, 09:25 AM
Post #8

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(introducinlyric @ Jul 9 2008, 02:05 AM) *

are they blind in the american restaurants? i just thought you meant one in Toronto...

Oh, I have no idea, I thought it was a chain...

QUOTE(reo1963 @ Jul 9 2008, 06:45 AM) *

Haha, I stayed in a caboose once in like, Pennsylvania or something...

Is this the caboose you stayed at in PA?

Read about this one in a book about the old Lincoln Highway (U.S. 30).

New owners apparently have upgraded the cabooses -- at least one has a jacuzzi ...

That could definitely be it. I really can't remember the name of it. I think I was 14 at the time.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 11:38 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in USA

Albuquerque Hotels
Anaheim Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Boston Hotels
Branson Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Columbus Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Fort Lauderdale Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Jacksonville Hotels
Kansas City Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Memphis Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Philadelphia Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Portland Hotels
Saint Louis Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Scottsdale Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Tucson Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.