Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Don't Wanna Walkabout Shodoshima! - Shodoshima Island travel question
why_28
post Jun 21 2010, 01:05 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1091951
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I am traveling to Shodoshima Island and I was wonder what method of ground travel? I can't find any info on car rentals, etc. Appreciate anyone helping soon! I've been surfing without an ocean! This is driving (ha) me nuts! chris
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mitsukishiroi
post Jun 26 2010, 06:20 AM
Post #2

Drifter

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 1082091

QUOTE(why_28 @ Jun 21 2010, 01:05 AM) *

I am traveling to Shodoshima Island and I was wonder what method of ground travel? I can't find any info on car rentals, etc. Appreciate anyone helping soon! I've been surfing without an ocean! This is driving (ha) me nuts! chris

After googling around a bit, it seems you can rent cars, bikes and even motor vehicles on Shodoshima!

More information at the bottom of this page
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
xerius
post Jun 29 2010, 07:01 PM
Post #3

Drifter

Member No.: 9417

There is a basic bus system around Shodo-shima, so you can hit the primary sights by public transport. I did this with my girlfriend last summer. The only catch is that you have to get there early and your time at each spot will be somewhat limited. We had to skip Olive Park because of that, otherwise we would have missed the bus we needed for the Kanka-kei cable car. Renting a car is a better option, as you could see more and do it at your own pace. Unless you've got some pretty strong legs, I wouldn't opt for a bike - the mountain at the center of Shodo-shima is pretty formidable!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
why_28
post Jun 29 2010, 07:12 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(xerius @ Jun 29 2010, 07:01 PM) *

There is a basic bus system around Shodo-shima, so you can hit the primary sights by public transport. I did this with my girlfriend last summer. The only catch is that you have to get there early and your time at each spot will be somewhat limited. We had to skip Olive Park because of that, otherwise we would have missed the bus we needed for the Kanka-kei cable car. Renting a car is a better option, as you could see more and do it at your own pace. Unless you've got some pretty strong legs, I wouldn't opt for a bike - the mountain at the center of Shodo-shima is pretty formidable!

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
why_28
post Jun 29 2010, 07:26 PM
Post #5

Thanks 'xerius'! You are my 2nd hit! Your info is very helpful. I think I'll rent car. I want to "dozo goyukuri" (take it easy) on my trip. My last trip years ago, Shodoshima was great to slow my pace and rest, so I don't want to be on any schedule. I saw some 'Lance Armstrongs' biking, like they were Tour de France training, but I am in no hurry to get anywhere! OK truth is I'm in no shape to pedal even a mile! Do you think they have scooter rentals? Seems that many locals scooted around, looked like much fun! Hope you or anyone out there has insight.

Again, thanks for your response. This exchange of info is nice way of connecting with others.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
xerius
post Jun 30 2010, 06:22 AM
Post #6

Drifter

Member No.: 9417

If they've got bikes and cars available, I imagine they'll also have motorcycles and/or scooters. Compared to other places in Asia though, scooters aren't all that popular in Japan. Never tried to rent one, myself, but I can't foresee you having too much trouble finding them.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sevi
post Oct 1 2010, 07:45 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1362811

Its probably too late by now, but i am living on shodoshima now. So perhaps my advice is more for future reference for anyone coming to the Island or if your to return someday.

The best option is to hire a car, but they all get booked out pretty fast, so its a great idea to book early for them.

Another very accessible and available mode of transport is the bike, but its rather restricting to the area you hire it from and its possible that you can only hire bikes from the Tonosho area.

Rental scooters might be a bit adventurous for heading up the Skyline road to Kankakei and choshikei but are probably an economical and convinient option, though ive never looked into it as i have a car.

As previously mentioned the bus network is pretty fundamental and can only take you so far. Once again i think you need to get on tour buses to head up to kankakei and the like. The local buses are quite pricey after a while too, especially if your heading across the island to eigamura or kankakei from tonosho/fukuda.

therefore, in conclusion, rent a car! Its the most comfortable, most likely relatively cheap, I imagine most the foriegn visitors here will be on a pretty leisurely schedule with a bit of time to soak it in (sunniest place in Japan i am told by the locals) so its worthy of a weekend.
If you enjoy driving the roads are very good to drive as well, with almost no traffic out of the towns on the likes of the kankakei roads or skyline. (watch out for monkeys). Finally with a car your free to explore. There are some very nice secluded, almost unknown beaches around the island if you look for them and certainly some stunning lookouts. You can see the seto Ohashi bridge from a few lookouts atop the island on a clear day/night.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 03:13 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Japan

Atami Hotels
Beppu Hotels
Chino Hotels
Chiyoda Hotels
Chuo Hotels
Fukuoka Hotels
Hakodate Hotels
Hakone Hotels
Hakuba-mura Hotels
Hiroshima Hotels
Hokuto Hotels
Ito Hotels
Izu Hotels
Kanazawa Hotels
Kobe Hotels
Kumamoto Hotels
Kyoto Hotels
Matsumoto Hotels
Minamiuonuma Hotels
Minato Hotels
Myoko Hotels
Nagano Hotels
Nagasaki Hotels
Nagoya Hotels
Naha Hotels
Narita Hotels
Nasu-machi Hotels
Niigata Hotels
Nikko Hotels
Osaka Hotels
Sapporo Hotels
Sendai Hotels
Shimoda Hotels
Shinjuku Hotels
Taito Hotels
Takayama Hotels
Toba Hotels
Tokyo Hotels
Ueda Hotels
Yokohama Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.