Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

> Advice appreciated on my China itinerary
robinsoncrusoe
post Jun 13 2010, 07:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1074121
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I've worked all throughout HS and college to save up a bit of money in the hopes of taking a trip out to China one day. But now that I have the funds and the time, I'm completely lost where to start or how to budget or even which places to go visit.

The definites so far are as follows:
  • Depart early July
  • Spend 3 weeks
  • Eat/live/travel as cheaply as humanly possible

I can budget about 2K for the trip. Which is way more than enough, I think. I mean, I backpacked through Europe after HS and spent A LOT on alcohol, and still stayed under $60/day, which came out to $1,800 for an entire month. And I'm sure China's cheaper than that. If I'm smart, I think I can manage under 1K for the entire trip!

Now, I'm going to do some research to find out more about local customs, cultural traditions, essential phrases, etc. But I'm confused about how I should plan this trip out to see the MOST out of China within 3 weeks. I mean, it's so big that I think I might have to target just one specific region, like the South or the North, in order to fully appreciate it.

Ideally, I'd like to see Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan. However, I looked up the distance on Google Maps...and it's like 750 miles from Beijing to Shanghai and 950 from Shanghai to Guangzhou. So I think this is probably unreasonable within the time constraint.

So hey, I would really appreciate your tips and suggestions on how to plan this itinerary out. Anything, and I mean ANYTHING, would help!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 4)
bob8888
post Jun 14 2010, 06:04 PM
Post #2

Wayfarer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 50553

QUOTE(robinsoncrusoe @ Jun 13 2010, 07:35 PM) *

I've worked all throughout HS and college to save up a bit of money in the hopes of taking a trip out to China one day. But now that I have the funds and the time, I'm completely lost where to start or how to budget or even which places to go visit.

The definites so far are as follows:
  • Depart early July
  • Spend 3 weeks
  • Eat/live/travel as cheaply as humanly possible
I can budget about 2K for the trip. Which is way more than enough, I think. I mean, I backpacked through Europe after HS and spent A LOT on alcohol, and still stayed under $60/day, which came out to $1,800 for an entire month. And I'm sure China's cheaper than that. If I'm smart, I think I can manage under 1K for the entire trip!

Now, I'm going to do some research to find out more about local customs, cultural traditions, essential phrases, etc. But I'm confused about how I should plan this trip out to see the MOST out of China within 3 weeks. I mean, it's so big that I think I might have to target just one specific region, like the South or the North, in order to fully appreciate it.

Ideally, I'd like to see Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan. However, I looked up the distance on Google Maps...and it's like 750 miles from Beijing to Shanghai and 950 from Shanghai to Guangzhou. So I think this is probably unreasonable within the time constraint.

So hey, I would really appreciate your tips and suggestions on how to plan this itinerary out. Anything, and I mean ANYTHING, would help!

You have to remember that China is like the size of the USA and the cities you mentioned are like the size of New York and San Francisco and all have as much to see. Good to do some research and know what you like. Beijing, Xian, Yangshuo, Hong Kong is a good Three week tourn. you can go to www.itsaboutchina.com for some inside info.
But again Bejing and Hong Kong are like New York and San Francisco a lot more expensive the the more rural "Chinese" areas like Yangshuo. But you should have enough getting from place to place is the hardest. The Cheapest way takes the longest so you need to figure out which is more import TIME OR MONEY.
GOOD LUCK
BOB
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
fdakuae
post Jul 5 2010, 06:19 PM
Post #3

Drifter

Member No.: 517951

I think what you should plan for budget tour is to include sichuan and Yunnan province, to be honest I visited some of sichuan cities like Chengdu the capital provincial city, Leshan, Emieshan, Jiuzhagiou and Huanglong. all these cities have many cultural and scenery places to visit.
I heard from my guide that you can have a real scnery and cultural places among Tibet but not really at Tibet Provicne which is at Yunnan and Sichuan region .
Basically I went to Shanghai once, and Guangzhou twice their you will not have places to do much maybe for shopping allot and you like to do budget trip. Guangzhou is a place for all shopping and Hong Kong is country itself so you need to be aware of visa entry it's called paradise of shopping but it has places many to visit some cultural places, and even places to have fun.
what I am saying is that planning for a trip to china required understanding what really you are looking for so you can start at city..knows the places at city and understand language i beleive you can but try to understand some broad language that you can talk with Tibetan,Han, and all nationalities at China...
Good luck and hope I add sth useful....
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
hkhero
post Jul 5 2010, 09:43 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1127901

You have to restrain places that you want to go, i would recommend you to go to Beijing, Shanghai, Xi'an and Hong Kong. I have been to all this places I would say these are the places that i like the most

Beijing is a great place where there is a lot to see such as great wall, summer palace, forbidden city, Tiananmen Square, the Qianmen Gate, National Stadium (Bird's Nest),Temple of Heaven etc, you have to go to Beijing if youre going to China.

Shanghai- EXPO, Shanghai Happy Valley, Jinjiang Amusement Park, Shanghai City Beach, Jinshan Donglin temple etc

Xi'an- ancient city wall, Shaanxi Provincial Museum, Forest of Steles, Wolong Temple, Big (Wild) Goose Pagoda, Eight Immortals Temple, Grand Mosque, Bell Towers and drum towers, China South City (Best shopping place) i would recommend to spend a day in China South City, it is logistics trading hub which impressed me a lot

Hong Kong- Peak (prettiest view), Disneyland, Ocean Park, Tst victoria Harbor(light show), nathan street Mk night market ladies street (cheap bargain stuff), causeway bay, laiGuifung (clubbing street)...Hong Kong is a very international place and things there are really cheap too if youre looking for fashionable clothes, shoes, electronics, purses etc, im pretty sure you can find a really cheap hostel to stay in Hong Kong.

hope this helps! smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 10:15 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in China

Beijing Hotels
Changchun Hotels
Changsha Hotels
Chengdu Hotels
Chongqing Hotels
Dalian Hotels
Dongguan Hotels
Foshan Hotels
Fuzhou Hotels
Guangzhou Hotels
Guilin Hotels
Haikou Hotels
Hangzhou Hotels
Harbin Hotels
Hefei Hotels
Hong Kong Hotels
Jinan Hotels
Kunming Hotels
Lanzhou Hotels
Lijiang Hotels
Nanchang Hotels
Nanjing Hotels
Nanning Hotels
Ningbo Hotels
Qingdao Hotels
Sanya Hotels
Shanghai Hotels
Shenyang Hotels
Shenzhen Hotels
Suzhou Hotels
Taiyuan Hotels
Tianjin Hotels
Urumqi Hotels
Wenzhou Hotels
Wuhan Hotels
Wuxi Hotels
Xi'an Hotels
Xiamen Hotels
Zhengzhou Hotels
Zhuhai Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.