Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what type of visa do i need?, only passing through
westberry
post Jun 8 2010, 07:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1061321

I am entering bangkok on 28th june late and getting the overnight bus/train to laos the next evening. My outbound flight out of bkk isnt until 5th september. I was planning on booking the train/bus when i get there at the airport travel centre the next morning.
If i dont have a ticket before entering customs to leave the country within 30 days will they let me in???
Do i get a visa beforehand or on arrival at the airport?
Should i send off to the consulate to get a 30 day visa if i am only passing through?
helllppp its only 3 weeks till we fly.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Jun 8 2010, 08:40 PM
Post #2

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 893

If you are from the UK, you should be able to easily obtain a 30-day visa on arrival to Bangkok. As long as you look respectable and raise no obvious suspicions, they will not question you so the issue of your return ticket should not be a problem. Many people come to Bangkok and travel overland to Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos etc.

Since you are arriving late, have you thought about your accommodation for the first night?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
westberry
post Jun 8 2010, 09:26 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1061321

Thanks for your reply,
I will have a friend already there so should have a good idea on accomodation? any suggestions of somewhere SAFE to stay?

Ok will send off for a 30 day visa, although i dont thin u need to pay for these at the moment.

Someone mentioned a transit visa? Would that be better?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Jun 8 2010, 09:39 PM
Post #4

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 893

You may want to consider accommodation closer to the bus/train station you need to go from to get to Laos. There are a number of different bus stations so if you can find out which one beforehand, that would be useful. I am not sure about the train at all.

You definitely could get a transit visa which I would consider if there was a lot of visa cost money involved. However, if as you say, the tourist visa is free, then I would get that so that any sudden change in plans (on purpose or not) can be better accommodated.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
koonel
post Jun 29 2010, 08:05 AM
Post #5

Wayfarer

Member No.: 1111301

You will probably get this information too late to help you but perhaps someone else can benefit from it.

For a visa or if you are visa exempt depends on the passport you travel under. If you are traveling under a US, UK, Canadian, Oz, NZ passport and many places in Europe you will be able to get a free 30 day entry stamp in your passport at the airport on arrival. If you arrive overland you will only get 15 days. For a short while Thailand is offering a free 60 day visa that you have to apply for ahead of time.
http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2490
http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2491
http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/newversion.../visa_main.html

If you have a hotel near the Skytrain route you can use that to get around the city. The Skytrain will also connect you with the subway at Asok. The subway goes directly to the national train station.
http://bangkok.sawadee.com/skytrain.htm

From the airport you have a choice of buses and even meter taxis. When you use a meter taxi in Bangkok the price you pay is for everyone in the taxi not per person. After midnight no Airport Express Bus until morning.
http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/55
http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/52

When taking a meter taxi in the city you do not have to pay any surcharge going back to the airport. Tell the driver to use the meter. If the driver wants to bargain the fare you will pay more. Most will gladly use the meter because there are hundreds of other meter taxis that will use the meter! If you wave a moving taxi over they are less likely to want to bargain the fare. Too often taxis parked outside hotels and bus stations want new visitors to bargain the fare and you pay more! Have small bills for paying for taxi, they may claim to not have any change hoping you will be stupid enough to say keep the change. (Meter starts at 35 baht and a meter taxi for tourists is cheaper than tuk-tuks too!)

Wait until you get to Thailand to change any money over Thai baht. Bank money changers are open 24 hours a day at the airport both coming and going. Also there are ATMs at the airport. Travelers Checks are easily cashed, you have to produce your passport. Travelers checks get a hair more than ordinary cash - there is a 33 baht fee to cash a TC so don't waste lots of fees on small amounts. There is a 150 baht fee to use an ATM. For the same amount of money a travelers check can be cheaper.

Good luck.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 03:45 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.