Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Input, Travel Help
mjowen
post Jun 12 2008, 12:41 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 196908
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hey everyone! I'm currently Travelling and am in Australia at the moment. I'll be leaving here around Mid July and heading for NZ (Which I can't wait for).

I've been reading alot of the topics to get a feel for whats what, and I've looked at the Starter Guide which I'll be looking into more when I'm not at work. I'm planning on doing the whole of New Zealand over about a month - a month and a half (depending on $$$) which kinda sucks as I was hoping for more time. Anyway...So I'm just starting to plan everything and I'm still deciding where to go. I'm just wondering how much people roughly spend within a month if they go round all of NZ in such a short time?

Also, for any Lord of the Rings fans...I'm aware theres LOADS of places they filled, but does anyone know where it is I need to go to see 'The Shire' ? Like the houses with Grass hills over them? (You know what I mean) lol.

Any ideas as well on where the best place is to go for Sky Diving?

Thanks smile.gif
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jun 12 2008, 02:13 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 124

Mate, you've picked the right place to visit and not a bad time to go either. Try and give yourself the full month-and-a-half - you'll need it.

As for spend... classic tricky question. You can make it as expensive or as cheap as you like, depending on your activity of 'expenditure'. New Zealand is arguably the outdoor and adventure 'capital' so if you want to do loads of activities it's going to drain your wallet (every bit worth it mind) though there are plenty of treks and nature based stuff that you can do at a fairly low cost (especially as the season's coming to an end - hut fees will hit rock bottom). Then there's transport, food and digs. Are you renting a car? using the bus networks? Hitching?

Accommodation: are you planning on camping? Hostels? Hotels? Couchsurfing? Do you like a beer and a good feed? All these things will affect your budget, and all these things are choosable by you.

Though many people wouldn't, if you you were to hitch your way around (or join other randoms in petrol shares) and couchsurf along the way, you could actually get around for next to nothing. That's the stupid.thing.

If you can give us an idea of the sort of traveller you are, the sort of likes and dislikes and your 'standards' we might be able to be more specific with a budget and/or plan of some sort.

Oh and the skydive: go to Taupo (central North Island) - you get much more for your dollar, and the scenery (Mt Doom) is superb. Not far from The Shire (Waikato region) also, so you could kill two birds with one stone there.

You'll have the time of your life mate, let us know a bit more and we'll get you sorted.. thumbsup.png

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mjowen
post Jun 12 2008, 03:21 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 196908
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hey Scott, thanks for the Reply so soon smile.gif

What kind of Backpacker am I ...hmmm...The Poor one! Hehe. I'm going on roughly $3500 - $4000 AUD. So I'm gonna need to budget alot I think considering I really want to go Skydiving. I wouldn't mind doing some Skiing or Snowboarding too, as it's meant to be Snow Season now right? (Judging from Snow Post I just read)

Accommodation: Probably looking at Hostels. Couchsurfing would be obviously a cheap option, although I've not done that since I've started travelling so I don't really know how to go about that one.

As for How I'm getting around, I'll probably be doing that by Bus I'm guessing. I'll have to look into the Bus Sites from the Starter Pack you did smile.gif.

I won't have to worry about blowing my money on Drink cause I don't drink (I drink water etc ... just not Booze) So that'll save me quite alot smile.gif. Um...what else...I'm a Nice Backpacker who's friendly and wanting to see the best sights!!! Argh this is hard! lol. I'm a normal Backpacker smile.gif

Thanks for the Skydive/Shire Info. Will DEFO keep in mind smile.gif

It's been a LONG awaited Trip. Always wanted to go to New Zealand from a Young age....Now Im FINALLY going!!! WOOO!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 12 2008, 09:17 AM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Here's a site I found for the filming locations of LOTR

http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/l/lotr1.html

http://www.tourism.net.nz/lord-of-the-rings.html

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nztravelguide
post Jun 25 2008, 08:40 PM
Post #5

Pathfinder

Member No.: 72601

QUOTE(mjowen @ Jun 12 2008, 12:41 AM) *

Hey everyone! I'm currently Travelling and am in Australia at the moment. I'll be leaving here around Mid July and heading for NZ (Which I can't wait for).

I've been reading alot of the topics to get a feel for whats what, and I've looked at the Starter Guide which I'll be looking into more when I'm not at work. I'm planning on doing the whole of New Zealand over about a month - a month and a half (depending on $$$) which kinda sucks as I was hoping for more time. Anyway...So I'm just starting to plan everything and I'm still deciding where to go. I'm just wondering how much people roughly spend within a month if they go round all of NZ in such a short time?

Also, for any Lord of the Rings fans...I'm aware theres LOADS of places they filled, but does anyone know where it is I need to go to see 'The Shire' ? Like the houses with Grass hills over them? (You know what I mean) lol.

Any ideas as well on where the best place is to go for Sky Diving?

Thanks smile.gif

The "Shire" is located near a town called Matamata south of Auckland
Check here for the info - hobbitontours.com/ .
Just south at Lake Taupo is a great sky diving spot.
Staying at holiday parks in cabins is a good way to have a decent stay at a decent price.
Buses get you everywhere.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 10:27 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in New Zealand

Akaroa Hotels
Arrowtown Hotels
Auckland Hotels
Blenheim Hotels
Christchurch Hotels
Coromandel Hotels
Dunedin Hotels
Fox Glacier Hotels
Franz Josef Hotels
Gisborne Hotels
Greymouth Hotels
Hamilton Hotels
Hanmer Springs Hotels
Hastings Hotels
Hokitika Hotels
Invercargill Hotels
Kaikoura Hotels
Kerikeri Hotels
Lake Tekapo Hotels
Mangere Hotels
Napier Hotels
Nelson Hotels
New Plymouth Hotels
Oamaru Hotels
Paihia Hotels
Palmerston North Hotels
Picton Hotels
Queenstown Hotels
Rotorua Hotels
Russell Hotels
Taupo Hotels
Tauranga Hotels
Te Anau Hotels
Timaru Hotels
Waiheke Island Hotels
Wanaka Hotels
Wanganui Hotels
Wellington Hotels
Whangarei Hotels
Whitianga Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.