Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> San Diego to Phoenix?
veliaze
post May 23 2010, 09:10 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 947031
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Im interested in hearing what people think is the best/most scenic road fraom San Diego to Phoenix.

Currently Im thinking of five possible routes which are (from the most southern one)
Highways 8, 78, 10, 40(route 66).

The thing is that we will be on a road trip and would like too see as much as possibly while travelling across the lands. Since we would like to visit SD Wild animal park route 78 seemed like a natural choice, but know Im not so sure anymore since most guides says imperial valley/Salton Sea is immersed in intense heat during the time we will be there (September) so I could use some advice on what route to pick.

thanx in advance.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
corinneconley
post May 23 2010, 12:16 PM
Post #2

Expeditionist

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 638491

I actually did this last August. We went up to Grand Canyon National Park (via the trains from Williams). The scenery on 40 was nice but nothing overly amazing. Route 66 is always a fun one to go down, though quickly it gets a bit sickeningly touristy. I would mostly recommend hitting up the Sonoran Desert, and driving/parked at sunset.

--------------------
Recent Trips:
New Trails: Buffalo National River

Upcoming Trips:
Oceanside, California (August)
Las Vegas, Nevada (October)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kitkatgo
post May 30 2010, 01:51 AM
Post #3

Navigator

Member No.: 13816

Any of those routes will be immersed in intense heat in September. It's going to be HOT.

--------------------
~Kit
California Local Expert

Visit my travel blogs:
http://www.travelpod.com/members/kitkatgo
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
veliaze
post May 31 2010, 03:02 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 947031
Nominate me as a Local Expert

QUOTE(kitkatgo @ May 30 2010, 01:51 AM) *

Any of those routes will be immersed in intense heat in September. It's going to be HOT.

So, travelling to the desert areas in September wasnt that good of an idea as we thought from the beginning as it seems like well be needing lots of barrels of water with us just to survive the trip smile.gif That really makes us feel comfortable with going deep into the deserts...lol

Basically it doesnt matter heatwise what route we will take since all routes will be extremely hot in September. Then we might take up on our original plan on route 78 since we plan on going to Wild Animal park.

What about Joshua tree? Anything you guys would recommend?
Without any sense of distances/travel time in these parts it seems like it would be very much possible to see Anza-Borrego, Joshua tree and Sonoran desert in 2-3 days?!
I realise it would be a tight schedule, however in previous comments it sounds very unlikely that we will be spending much time outside of our air-conditioned rental smile.gif

Except mentioning the obvious (bring water, cover skin, wear hat etc etc) is there anything we should think of travelling through some of the hottest places on earth?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kitkatgo
post May 31 2010, 06:33 PM
Post #5

Navigator

Member No.: 13816

78 will probably be fine.

We used to go from San Diego to Phoenix in, hmmm, about 6-7 hrs I think when we lived in San Diego. I honestly don't remember the route we took. I think we went through Anza-Borrego if that helps. But I probably didn't like any of the routes since I don't like the desert, lol. I'm sure 3 days would be fine. Make sure you map out your overnight stops.

If I were you, I'd get a case of water to take, just in case you get stuck in the middle of nowhere...people have died (I remember a report last summer) from not having enough water with them when their car broke down.

Don't forget sunglasses and sunscreen! beach.gif And never wait 'til the last minute to fill the gas tank!

--------------------
~Kit
California Local Expert

Visit my travel blogs:
http://www.travelpod.com/members/kitkatgo
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 08:48 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in USA

Albuquerque Hotels
Anaheim Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Boston Hotels
Branson Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Columbus Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Fort Lauderdale Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Jacksonville Hotels
Kansas City Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Memphis Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Philadelphia Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Portland Hotels
Saint Louis Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Scottsdale Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Tucson Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.