Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> need advice re baggage on galapagos cruise
shesoffagain
post Jun 5 2008, 12:17 AM
Post #1

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 170482

I'm doing an 8 day Galapagos cruise in October as part of a 4 month trip around South America and Antarctica. I prefer to travel light, but because I'm going to Antarctica I need to take some extra stuff, and have to carry it with me at times when I travel between storage places.

My dilemma is this - I will be staying a few weeks in Quito and surrounding areas, then doing the Galapagos cruise, then plan to see Guayaquil, Cuenca, and then head south to Peru.
The cheapest option (less backtracking) is to fly from Quito - Galapagos - Guayaquil, and then travel onwards. But that would mean taking all my gear on board the cruise boat with me. I could leave my gear in Quito and fly back there, but that would mean another flight (or long bus ride) back to Guayaquil, which seems silly.

I have a smallish pack (50L), which is bit longer than carry-on size and a carry-on sized pack as well. Is this too much to take on board the boat? I'm going on the Angelique, which is one of the better budget-class boats, and I guess the cabins will be pretty small.

Would appreciate some advice from folks who have been there.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 5 2008, 08:55 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

I have not been there, but a 50L backpack isn't that big. If you are attached to the contents, I think you should probably take it with you. How much extra stuff do you need for Antarctica really? A sleeping bag, warm clothes and parka?

Couldn't you buy that stuff as soon as it starts getting cold?

Personally, I would probably just buy warm clothes when I got there.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Jun 5 2008, 10:28 AM
Post #3

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

Starlagurl's advice is always spot on!

You might also check if there is a left luggage office at Baltra Airport (doubtful), or have the cruise line look after it in their office while you are on the vessel. Keep in mind that for this section of the trip everything will be relatively easy. It's not like lugging 50lbs across town to the bus station. There will be baggage carts and porters aplenty.

Skim through these travel blogs from fellow Travelpod bloggers. You may find just what you need there. http://www.travelpod.com/cgi-bin/keyword2....yword=galapagos

Enjoy, and be sure you open a Travelpod travel blog yourself to keep the world advised of your travels. Looks like its going to be pretty exiting trip.

Cheers and keep in touch
Martin

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 5 2008, 10:29 AM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Aw, thanks Martin, I try...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shesoffagain
post Jun 5 2008, 09:50 PM
Post #5

Drifter

Thanks guys. I'm not so worried about carrying it, since it's not that heavy, it was more about would I have room in the cabin, and would I look like a git for having huge amounts of luggage on a week-long trip!
I'm not really taking much extra stuff for Antarctica - just an extra set of thermals and gloves - I was planning to rent some gear in ushuaia. But I am a mad photographer, and I have a dry bag for my good camera gear (for zodiac crossings), and that is the size of a large daypack, and unfortunately cannot be compressed - hence the 2 pieces of luggage.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Jun 5 2008, 11:35 PM
Post #6

Tripper

I don't think you will have to worry about looking like a git. You will probably have less luggage than anyone else! Ask the cruise line people to store the stuff you don't need so you don't clutter up your cabin, especially if you are sharing with anyone. They will either leave it in their office ashore, or put it in the baggage compartment on board. If I were you I would e-mail them to ask how they would deal with this.

On the other hand, have you thought for forwarding your cold weather gear to the Antarctic cruise line office in Ushuaia or to a forwarding company office in, say Santiago or Puerto Montt. Then they can have it for you when you arrive, and you don't have to lug it all around South America? Fortunately there is plenty of time to do this.

Are you all fixed up for the onward trip from Ecuador down to Chile and Argentina?

If you need advice, we can do our best to help you.

Start your blog as soon as possible, as the organization of the trip is vital information you can already be writing about.

Cheers
Martin

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shesoffagain
post Jun 6 2008, 12:46 AM
Post #7

Drifter

Thanks Martin - I do have my route planned - I will be travelling round Peru for a while and then flying to Ushuaia via BA. I have been reading stuff on this and other forums for a while before posting myself, so have picked up lots of hints.
I had thought of sending my other pack forward, but am yet to decide on this - have to admit that the extra little bit of space is handy for storing stuff I don't need on side trips! And although I desperately want to travel carry-on only, I just can't bring myself to part with my 3kgs of camera and lenses, and my little portable hard drive, so am really struggling to get under 8kg!
Most of the time, it won't be an issue, since I can leave a bag at South American Explorers clubhouse in Quito while I do northern Ecuador, and then in Peru, I am returning to Lima between jungle and highlands, so can store it there too. It's really only the 4 weeks that I'm travelling one-way between Quito and Lima.
I might make enquiries though.
As for the blog, I do have one started for this trip, but haven't written anything yet. Wasn't planning to until I actually go. Didn't think anyone would want to hear about planning. My family are sick to death of hearing about it, and I haven't even left yet!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 6 2008, 10:36 AM
Post #8

Rolling Stone

Good luck, and let us know if you have any other questions!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Jun 6 2008, 11:18 AM
Post #9

Tripper

Oftentimes planning is the most important part of the trip. If you plan badly, the trip could be ruined.

So go ahead, start writing. I'm sure many other travellers like you will find it useful.

Cheers
Martin

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
troispistoles
post Jul 8 2008, 11:22 AM
Post #10

Nomad

Member No.: 5385

I was on a Galapagos cruise for 8 days in June 2008.

I had with me my big bag (60L I think), as nobody told me I didn't need that much on the boat!

Our sailing boat, the Merak, was the smallest one I think.

The girl staying in the same room as me had her bag too, but we managed to survive! We couldn't open our bags at the same time, but that was fine.

You don't need that much on the boat, only 2-3 bathing suit, 2-3 t-shirt, sun screen, insect repellent, a hat, and a good book!

Other people on my trip left their bags at their hostels in Quito, or at the travel agency.

Best part of a trip is to make decisions... all the time!!! Isn't it? smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
troispistoles
post Oct 1 2008, 03:55 PM
Post #11

Nomad

Member No.: 5385

You need faith for that!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Oct 16 2008, 01:44 PM
Post #12

Rolling Stone

Yeah, wow. That would take a lot of faith...but still if you weren't worried about losing stuff, it could work well.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 01:04 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Ecuador

Alamor Hotels
Ambato Hotels
Archidona Hotels
Bahia de Caraquez Hotels
Banos Hotels
Cayambe Hotels
Chugchilan Hotels
Coca Hotels
Cotundo Hotels
Cuenca Hotels
Cuyabeno Hotels
Esmeraldas Hotels
Galera Hotels
Gualaquiza Hotels
Guayaquil Hotels
Huaquillas Hotels
Ibarra Hotels
Ingapirca Hotels
Las Tunas Hotels
Loja Hotels
Machachi Hotels
Machala Hotels
Manta Hotels
Mindo Hotels
Montanita Hotels
Muisne Hotels
Otavalo Hotels
Papallacta Hotels
Pedro Vicente Maldonado Hotels
Puerto Ayora Hotels
Puerto Baquerizo Moreno Hotels
Puerto Lopez Hotels
Puyo Hotels
Quito Hotels
Riobamba Hotels
Salinas Hotels
Sangolqui Hotels
Sumaco Hotels
Tena Hotels
Vilcabamba Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.