Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mae Hong Son Border Run? - Mae Hong Son, Northern border with Myanmar travel question
jkdasa
post May 8 2010, 11:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 981681

Can I do a border run at Mae Hong Son and re-enter Thailand with my 2-month Visa?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Paul
post May 9 2010, 08:55 AM
Post #2

Navigator

Member No.: 98

No.

As far as I know there is no official border crossing at MHS. The closest is at Mae Sot.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jkdasa
post May 9 2010, 11:25 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Paul @ May 9 2010, 08:55 AM) *

No.

As far as I know there is no official border crossing at MHS. The closest is at Mae Sot.

Thanks, Paul,

I heard the road to Mae Sot is treacherous, so was reluctant. I plan to visit Pai. I will be going north from Chonburi, and would prefer the train.

Can I transfer to a bus to Mae Sot near a train station like Phitsanulok, Ban Dara or Sawankhalok?

How long would such a journey from such a train station take?

And what is the final entry/return time at Mae Sot border?

Thanks for your help,
Jay
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post May 9 2010, 11:50 PM
Post #4

Navigator

QUOTE(jkdasa @ May 9 2010, 11:25 PM) *

No.

Thanks, Paul,

I heard the road to Mae Sot is treacherous, so was reluctant. I plan to visit Pai. I will be going north from Chonburi, and would prefer the train.

Can I transfer to a bus to Mae Sot near a train station like Phitsanulok, Ban Dara or Sawankhalok?

Thanks for your help,
Jay

Hi - the road from MHS to Mae Sot is really nice and very picturesque especially near the river.

Ummm, otherwise - yeah, I'm sure you'll be able to get a bus or van or hitch a lift from Phitsanulok.

How long??? Guessing - 2 hours. Maybe less.

The border crossing and re-entry only takes 15 minutes.

Hope that helps.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jkdasa
post May 10 2010, 07:43 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(Paul @ May 9 2010, 11:50 PM) *

No.

Thanks, Paul,

Thanks for your help,
Jay

Hi - the road from MHS to Mae Sot is really nice and very picturesque especially near the river.

Ummm, otherwise - yeah, I'm sure you'll be able to get a bus or van or hitch a lift from Phitsanulok.

Hope that helps.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jkdasa
post May 10 2010, 07:48 AM
Post #6

No.

Thanks, Paul,

Thanks for your help,
Jay

Hope that helps.

Great, I'll try to get a bus or something along the border for that scenic trip north. A key detail which would help is "when" does the border close? Then I can plan the trip better.

Cio, Jay
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post May 10 2010, 08:17 AM
Post #7

Navigator

I don't know.

A guess 8am - 5 or 6 pm.
But???

You may have to do a bit more internet surfing to find the answer
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jkdasa
post May 11 2010, 12:06 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(jkdasa @ May 10 2010, 07:48 AM) *

No.

Thanks, Paul,

It said 6pm somewhere. But the bus from Phitsnulok supposedly takes 5 hours so I think I will fly to Chang Rai. Take care.

Thanks for your help,
Jay

Hope that helps.

Great, I'll try to get a bus or something along the border for that scenic trip north. A key detail which would help is "when" does the border close? Then I can plan the trip better.

Cio, Jay

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wandering_man
post May 30 2010, 03:16 PM
Post #9

Wanderer

Member No.: 266022

QUOTE(jkdasa @ May 11 2010, 01:06 PM) *

QUOTE(jkdasa @ May 10 2010, 07:48 AM) *

No.

Thanks, Paul,

It said 6pm somewhere. But the bus from Phitsnulok supposedly takes 5 hours so I think I will fly to Chang Rai. Take care.

Thanks for your help,
Jay

Hope that helps.

Cio, Jay
Mae Sot os a town that is not for everyone. I live here. YOu have to want to come here, nobody's passing through.

It is the most inexpensive place in all of THailand. THe farangs who are here are of serious purpose, given all the work that must be done with the Burmese refugee community.

THe food isoutstanding and most dinner meals are $1 or less. FIrst Hotel has a terrific fan room for 275 baht, including all the free cold bottled water you care to drink. Bai Fern GH is 150 baht with fan and shared bath and is a clean cheapie for a solo traveler.

Best way to travel from MS-MHS is to rent a motorcycle. It will be the most memorable trip of your life. Overnight in Mae Sariand at the RIverside. and stare out at the river and the mountians from your balcony. 250 baht.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wandering_man
post May 30 2010, 03:20 PM
Post #10

Wanderer

Member No.: 266022

[quote name='wandering_man' date='May 30 2010, 04:16 PM' post='391671']
[quote name='jkdasa' post='383191' date='May 11 2010, 01:06 PM']
[quote name='jkdasa' post='382261' date='May 10 2010, 07:48 AM']
[quote name='Paul' post='381851' date='May 9 2010, 11:50 PM']
[quote name='jkdasa' post='381821' date='May 9 2010, 11:25 PM']
[quote name='Paul' post='381621' date='May 9 2010, 08:55 AM']
No.

[/quote]

Thanks, Paul,

Thanks for your help,
Jay
[/quote]

Hope that helps.
[/quote]

Cio, Jay
[/quote]Mae Sot os a town that is not for everyone. I live here. YOu have to want to come here, nobody's passing through.

It is the most inexpensive place in all of THailand. THe farangs who are here are of serious purpose, given all the work that must be done with the Burmese refugee community.

THe food isoutstanding and most dinner meals are $1 or less. FIrst Hotel has a terrific fan room for 275 baht, including all the free cold bottled water you care to drink. Bai Fern GH is 150 baht with fan and shared bath and is a clean cheapie for a solo traveler.

Best way to travel from MS-MHS is to rent a motorcycle. It will be the most memorable trip of your life. Overnight in Mae Sariand at the RIverside. and stare out at the river and the mountians from your balcony. 250 baht.
[/quote]

Also=

Pai sucks. Bunch of Eurotrash henna tattoo potheads who must have been deported from Amsterdam sitting in a circle mumbling about needing to find a chill place. You won't meet Thai or Burmese people there. Kinda like they threw a net over Ko San Road and moved it NW. MHS is much nicer
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post May 31 2010, 03:04 AM
Post #11

Navigator

Also=

Pai sucks. Bunch of Eurotrash henna tattoo potheads who must have been deported from Amsterdam sitting in a circle mumbling about needing to find a chill place. You won't meet Thai or Burmese people there. Kinda like they threw a net over Ko San Road and moved it NW. MHS is much nicer
[/quote]

Ha ha - couldn't agree more. But I was keeping that quiet, so as MHS doesn't get overrun with them
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 01:44 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.