Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How did Aubel Belgium get it's name. - Aubel travel question
superdad10
post May 4 2010, 03:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 970381
Nominate me as a Local Expert

How did Aubel Belgium get it's name? I was doing some family history and my last name is Aubel. I know Aubel is not a very common name and was wondering if it was named after someone named Aubel.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lieven
post May 5 2010, 02:56 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 610851
Nominate me as a Local Expert

QUOTE(superdad10 @ May 4 2010, 03:20 PM) *

How did Aubel Belgium get it's name? I was doing some family history and my last name is Aubel. I know Aubel is not a very common name and was wondering if it was named after someone named Aubel.

Aubel is a small town in the french speaking part of Belgium. There are only 4000 inhabitants. Aubel as a last name is very unusual in Belgium.

On the website of the village I found some information of the history of the name Aubel. (Now I have to translate it twice because I live in the dutch speaking part of Belgium).

The name Aubel appears for the first time in 1248 on a map written as Able. This name comes from the Latin word Albula which means ' The little white river'. Not so surprising if you know that there is a lot of white lime stone in that region.

In Aubel, there is also an Abbey - the Abbey of Val-Dieux est. 1216- . And of course, we are in Belgium, the monks brew their own real abbey beer of high fermentation, not pasteurized, simple, without seasoning and brewed according to the old infusion method....

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 09:42 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.