Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Taiwan - who knew?, never really thought of it as somewhere 'cool' to visit
jeklah
post Aug 30 2010, 07:29 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 1274641

When will you be in Taiwan? I'm always happy to meet newcomers and show them around! smile.gif
[/quote]

Wow, that would be great ! I'm travelling there with my two teenage children, we arrive Mon Sep 27th and there till following Sat ... have been studying various tours, bus and train routes, and at this stage I'm leaning towards hiring a car for a couple of days to see a few areas, then doing the local tourist things in Taipei via the subway ... really looking forward to going somewhere new !

Cheers
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
athena
post Aug 30 2010, 08:06 AM
Post #22

Drifter

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 4873

[quote name='jeklah' date='Aug 30 2010, 07:29 AM' post='446831']
When will you be in Taiwan? I'm always happy to meet newcomers and show them around! smile.gif
[/quote]

Wow, that would be great ! I'm travelling there with my two teenage children, we arrive Mon Sep 27th and there till following Sat ... have been studying various tours, bus and train routes, and at this stage I'm leaning towards hiring a car for a couple of days to see a few areas, then doing the local tourist things in Taipei via the subway ... really looking forward to going somewhere new !

Cheers
[/quote]

Poop. I leave for South Africa on September 29th! I'll be gone until November 1st. Sorry! Best of luck discovering Taiwan, though!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jeklah
post Aug 30 2010, 09:19 AM
Post #23

[quote name='athena' date='Aug 30 2010, 08:06 AM' post='446861']
[/quote]

Cheers
[/quote]

Poop. I leave for South Africa on September 29th! I'll be gone until November 1st. Sorry! Best of luck discovering Taiwan, though!
[/quote]

Bummer - would've been great ! Have a good trip to SA though ! What's your advice on driving in Taiwan (not necessarily in TPE though), all I've read so far seems to make it sound OK provided I have an English GPS - I've driven in quite a lot of places around the world, although not in Asia ?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
athena
post Aug 30 2010, 09:46 AM
Post #24

Drifter

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 4873

[quote name='jeklah' date='Aug 30 2010, 09:19 AM' post='446891']
[quote name='athena' date='Aug 30 2010, 08:06 AM' post='446861']
[/quote]

Cheers
[/quote]

[/quote]

Bummer - would've been great ! Have a good trip to SA though ! What's your advice on driving in Taiwan (not necessarily in TPE though), all I've read so far seems to make it sound OK provided I have an English GPS - I've driven in quite a lot of places around the world, although not in Asia ?
[/quote]

I don't recommend driving in Taiwan. The traffic here is something else. It's chaotic and mostly an exercise in every traffic violation possible. Do a search for Taiwan Traffic on Youtube and you will see what I am talking about.
GPS won't help you in terms of the boneheaded things people do here....trust me. Aside from that...finding a parking spot for a car is nearly impossible and an exercise in patience and determination. Most people in Taiwan drive a scooter and so there are WAY more parking spots for those. If you're absolutely determined...make sure you have a valid international driver's license that is accepted in Taiwan AND very good insurance. I know many foreigners who have been in scooter and/or car accidents driving here. I cannot stress enough the insanity you will encounter. With your family on board...I would play it safe and stick to trains and buses. Maybe rent a scooter for a day just to get a taste.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jeklah
post Aug 30 2010, 09:48 AM
Post #25

OK thanks for the advice - I'll go back to the drawing board with trains & buses - cheers !
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 11:48 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.