Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what to do
kiwi_surfer
post May 2 2010, 12:22 AM
Post #1

Nomad

Group: Members
Member No.: 274279
Nominate me as a Local Expert

i want to spend a week in paraguay, what shall i do???

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post May 7 2010, 05:42 PM
Post #2

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 2195

A week in Paraguay? Yikes!

If you are going through Asuncion on the way to somewhere else, all well and good.

That being said, Paraguay probably has more feeling of the "old" South America than any other country, though what you can do for a week other than soak up the steamy atmosphere of sleepy Asuncion, I hesitate to say. They don't even have a sliver of Iguassu Falls. Ciudad del Este is a bit of an eye-opener, a sleazy town where Brazilians and Argentines go to do things they are not allowed to do in their own countries.

It's really not as bad as I paint it, but it certainly isn't one of the ten wonders of South America. Lonely Planet tells that "backpackers are rarer than pumas in Paraguay". Even the food isn't particularly good.

Anyway, enjoy your stay, and if you find anything earth shaking, by all means let us know.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kiwi_surfer
post May 7 2010, 08:05 PM
Post #3

Nomad

hahahaha,

funniest response ever mb

maybe i can volenteer for a week or somthing....

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
proinnsias
post Jul 2 2010, 05:39 PM
Post #4

Wanderer

Member No.: 589461

I've just spent the last week in Paraguay and it has been one of my favourite places in our 9month trip. Mainly because you will find no gringos there! People speak guarani mainly but most speak spanish too.
World cup celebrations might have blurred usual events in Paraguay but certainly Asuncion was far from sleepy when we were there. Epic, the bars and clubs are great an everyone is very friendly albeit wondering why your there. It is far from dangerous contrary to reports in a certain well travelled book and if you do go, go with an open mind, we loved it.
We spent a few days in Concepcion too, fantastic for bird spotting, anything from ostriches to toucans fly these parts and very easy to see, hawks eagles too more so than anywhere else i've been in south america. You can stay at a farm in Concepcion too a germans owns it and offers great tours of the jungle if you like.
Cuidad del este is a bit messy for a city but just outside it is Itaipu, the largest power producing dam on earth, its fantastic and free to visit, as part of the construction of the dam a zoo and ecological and museum were built and these are free too, definitely worth a visit.
Only thing is that paraguay is not used to the backpacker so you'll have to stay in hotels, but they are very reasonable and food is great, July is a meat festival of sorts, best sausages you might taste in your life could well be here.
Main reason i like Paraguay is because its completely different to those around it, you go there and people are friendly because they are, not because they are trying to rob you or sell you something. More info check out my blog
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kiwi_surfer
post Jul 2 2010, 05:43 PM
Post #5

Nomad

hu, cool bro. i have been here in paraguay for 2 weeks now, haha. yeah and i love it. im heading north to the chaco next.

thanks for your advice even if it was a bit to late.

chur

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
proinnsias
post Jul 3 2010, 06:23 AM
Post #6

Wanderer

Member No.: 589461

ha ha nice, lots of mennonites there in choco interesting folk.
If you leaving via the south to Iguazu falls handy order advice there too in the blog. Glad you decided to go, back on the 'trail' now and it really reinforces how great Paraguay is, around Iguazu is mobbed!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 01:47 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Paraguay

Altos Hotels
Areguá Hotels
Asuncion Hotels
Bella Vista Hotels
Ciudad Del Este Hotels
Concepcion Hotels
Encarnacion Hotels
Filadelfia Hotels
Hohenau Hotels
Itapúa Hotels
Lambare Hotels
Mariano Roque Alonso Hotels
Misiones Hotels
Nueva Colombia Hotels
Paraguari Hotels
Piribebuy Hotels
San Bernardino Hotels
Santa María de Fe Hotels
Santa Rita Hotels
Santa Rosa Hotels
Santa Teresa Hotels
Trinidad Hotels
Villa Elisa Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.