Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Studying Abroad in India, June-December what to do?
heatherandrew
post May 13 2008, 11:25 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 181666
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi Everybody!
I will be studying in India for this coming Fall Semester, and I need some help! We leave June 19, land in Delhi, then go up to Mussoorie for a month to the Landoor Language School for one month of intensive Hindi. While staying there we have a pre-planned group trip to Rishikesh. We also plan to go up to Kempty Falls. And for the other two weekends, one will be studying for finals and one will be relaxing.
Then we go back to Delhi where I will be studying at the University of Delhi from August to December. We have a pre-planned group trip to Jaipur and Agra, but other than that all weekends and breaks our free! So the question is... where should I go? I have a Lonely Planet that I have been flipping though, but frankly I don't know anybody who has traveled to India extensively (although I know many people born there, they left when they were 5). My "goal" for India is to not come away only doing the touristy things. I would like to visit some places that are off the beaten track, but I realize that everything is going to be new and challenging, so I would like to take baby steps in my adventures (ie. start trying to get to Agra, then next try somewhere a little bit further). No place is off limits for me, but most of my trips will have to be able to be done in about 4 days so that I can get back to school. We do have a couple of week breaks for longer trips and I know we have a two week break for one longer trip. Obviously, I'm sure I'm not going to have perfect attendance either =). I am going with my boyfriend too so don't worry, I won't be traveling alone. There are also 40 other kids from the University of California system going, so I'm sure some of them will want to come along sometimes as well.

So where do I "have" to go? (PS if you can include things like approx. bus fares and any traveling tips that would be great too).
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post May 13 2008, 12:35 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

I know bloomer will have something to say about this one. But as usual, I'll send you to some good travel blogs from India. Check them out and see if they interest you.

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entri...79060/tpod.html
http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entri...82060/tpod.html
http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entri...77340/tpod.html

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rishstan
post Jun 14 2008, 02:37 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 197940

hi there,
u r plan seems preety gud. hav u ever thought abt xploring south india(kerala).if u hav, i got sme gud locations for u like historic,beaches,wild life,back waters,house boats,cultureetc.it wil take 24hrs by train & 4hrs by flight tat wil cost u 1000rs by train & 3000by flight.plz dont hesitate 2 contact mail me at rishstan@gmail.com. caioz

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sharon1306
post Jun 21 2008, 02:49 AM
Post #4

Wayfarer

Member No.: 986

Hey there,

I’m not sure if this is coming a little too late. But anyways, for the first part of your trip, Mussoorie is a lovely place, the surrounding areas are very beautiful and the people are friendly. Landour has some very nice views of the mountains, and there’s a viewing platform there too. For the two free weekends you have while based there, you might want to consider trips to Haridwar, a Hindu pilgrimage site. There is a chairlift to the Mansa Devi Temple, which is worth doing. There’s also a similar chairlift up to Chandi Devi, and you can buy a combination package for both at Mansa Devi. Another interesting pilgrimage site is Badrinath, in that area.

While based in Delhi, you’ll definitely want to explore Rajasthan. You could visit Jaipur, Udaipur, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer (harder to get to, but definitely worth the effort). While doing Agra, don’t forget to plan a trip to Fatehpur Sikri, Akbar’s abandoned city. Another place I would say you ‘have to go’ would be Varanasi.

There are all places in the north. If you have two weeks to also see some of south India, let me know. Goa, Kerala and maybe some parts of Tamil Nadu.

You say your goal is to not only do the touristy things. Well, for that you have to understand that India is not just a list of must see sites, but more a huge vibrant country where everyday life can be lots of drama. Its very hard to get bored in India, just observing the people going on with their daily lives on the streets, and the madness of it all, can take your breath away. Its important to observe, and not judge, make time to take in the surroundings, and maybe have a cup of chai. Talk to the locals, treat them with respect, and they will respond to you. Everything is interesting, and I would say instead of letting the culture shock you, let is wash over you.

Sharon
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 23 2008, 09:40 AM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Oh well, even if it is a little late, someone else browsing the forums will find it useful, I'm sure.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
heatherandrew
post Jun 24 2008, 04:15 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 181666

No it's not to late for the comment. Thank you for the recommendations for while we are in Mussoorie, we leave for there on Saturday. I appreciate the comment and will definentally let you know if we decide to head south.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mitch2052
post Jun 29 2008, 11:03 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 205129

Your thread got me thinking. Been to Bangalore and Mumbai. Haven't much experience with educational institutions in India. Check out the Wikipedia-Page in Education in India.

--------------------
“Our task must be to free ourselves...by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty.” - Albert Einstein
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 03:41 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in India

Agra Hotels
Ahmedabad Hotels
Alappuzha Hotels
Amritsar Hotels
Bangalore Hotels
Bardez Hotels
Bhubaneswar Hotels
Calangute Hotels
Candolim Hotels
Chennai (Madras) Hotels
Darjeeling Hotels
Gangtok Hotels
Goa Hotels
Gurgaon Hotels
Haridwar Hotels
Hyderabad Hotels
Indore Hotels
Jaipur Hotels
Jaisalmer Hotels
Jodhpur Hotels
Kochi Hotels
Kodaikanal Hotels
Kolkata (Calcutta) Hotels
Kovalam Hotels
Manali Hotels
Mumbai (Bombay) Hotels
Munnar Hotels
Mussoorie Hotels
Mysore Hotels
Nainital Hotels
New Delhi Hotels
Ootacamund Hotels
Pondicherry Hotels
Pune Hotels
Salcette Hotels
Shimla Hotels
Srinagar Hotels
Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum) Hotels
Udaipur Hotels
Varanasi Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.