Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is it safe to travel during declared "state of emergency"?
aacodohue
post Apr 12 2010, 10:25 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 879731

IPB Image

I've been reading a lot about the current protests and incidents of explosive attacks in Bangkok and other parts of the country. I'm a female traveling alone in late may to Bangkok and Phuket, I was wondering if it's safe to make the trip alone? Anyone traveling in Thailand right now that can offer some insights?
Thanks!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
luke_1989
post Apr 12 2010, 12:27 PM
Post #2

Pathfinder

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 266185

Hi

Im going to Bangkok on friday to start my gap year. I am booked on a tour called Thaintro and they said it shouldnt affect us just may cause a lot of traffic. I am also quite worried now but as long as you stay away from the protests everything should be OK.

I will let you know what the situation is like one i am out there.

Luke
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
darrenstravels
post Apr 12 2010, 10:18 PM
Post #3

Tourist

Member No.: 167016

Hi, im in Thailand now, and have been in Bangkok since the red shirts arrived.

First off, dont worry. No one is interested in hurting tourists. Any who have been injured at been at the protest sites on purpose, and ignored the police to not go and watch. The places this happens are well documented. Also currently it looks like the army is refusing to use force again, so things are currently fine.

So, its small parts of bangkok (and the police do warn you when youre nearby), dont go and get involved and youll be fine.

It wont affect your trip in anyway! So stop worrying and concentrate on the awesomeness coming your way.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Apr 13 2010, 03:47 AM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 124

Darren's right on the money. You have absolutely nothing to worry about. Just go and have the time of your life..

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
curt1591
post Apr 13 2010, 07:13 PM
Post #5

Explorer

Member No.: 65820

People familiar with Bangkok have very little to "worry" about. Unfortunately, those unfamiliar, can easily wander into trouble. This stuff isn't happening in isolation this time.

Keep up to date by asking the hotel / hostel staff what's going on, how to get where you are going, and if there might be better alternative plans.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
skylab
post Apr 14 2010, 03:29 PM
Post #6

World Traveler

Member No.: 228012

QUOTE(luke_1989 @ Apr 12 2010, 01:27 PM) *
just may cause a lot of traffic.

Nothing new there...

--------------------
DJSkylab.com: My blog :)
ArtOfBackpacking.com: Backpacking Independent International Traveler
Facebook
"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." -Andy Warhol
"My body has certainly wandered a good deal, but I have an uneasy suspicion that my mind has not wandered enough." -Noel Coward
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
skylab
post Apr 15 2010, 10:09 AM
Post #7

World Traveler

Well that road sucks anyway. heh

--------------------
Facebook
"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." -Andy Warhol
"My body has certainly wandered a good deal, but I have an uneasy suspicion that my mind has not wandered enough." -Noel Coward
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
darrenstravels
post Apr 18 2010, 07:33 AM
Post #8

Tourist

Member No.: 167016

Spent the afternoon in KoSan / Democracy monument area. Business as normal here. Still the same old camden market style street with crap tee shirts but some great food.

Apparently the reds have moved to the business area, Siam Square, I think. The place with all the malls.

It has affected the package tourists market though. A few locals on Samui said many cancellations had been made by the richer, upmarket tour groups. The indie guys are there as normal though.

I saw an Army humvee parked up at a roadblock earlier. It had a large Coca Cola garden umbrella sticking out the top :-)

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
curt1591
post Apr 18 2010, 06:58 PM
Post #9

Explorer

The protesters are occupying the Ratchaprasong area, the area branching out from the intersection of Rama I, Ploenchit and Ratchadamri. This is where CentralWorld, Gaysorn Plaza and the Erawan Shrine are located.

Siam Paragon, Siam Center and Siam Discovery have been closed. Siam Square is very empty. MBK Center has been open, pretty much throughout.

The government has set up a blockade, to keep the protesters from heading into Silom.

"Informal" army checkpoints are set up on most expressways, tollways and some major roads. Incidental stops are made.

The Coca Cola umbrella may give the situation a "festive" appearance, but the mood is anything but. This is a very unstable time. The affected area should be avoided, especially by those unfamiliar with the people, the situation and the area.

IPB Image

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
skylab
post Apr 21 2010, 10:29 PM
Post #10

World Traveler

From twitter..
In BKK today: Paragon, SiamCenter, Discovery & CentralWorld closed; BTS Chidlom open (incl part of skybridge) as of 10am /via @richardbarrow

--------------------
Facebook
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lunthom
post Apr 28 2010, 08:05 PM
Post #11

Nomad

Member No.: 103052

QUOTE(aacodohue @ Apr 12 2010, 10:25 AM) *

IPB Image

I've been reading a lot about the current protests and incidents of explosive attacks in Bangkok and other parts of the country. I'm a female traveling alone in late may to Bangkok and Phuket, I was wondering if it's safe to make the trip alone? Anyone traveling in Thailand right now that can offer some insights?
Thanks!

I'm Thai and live in BKK and pass Silom every days , Nothing dangerous don't worry to come to Thailand , Anyway for the safety don't pass the risk area that all.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
gemmacakebread
post Apr 30 2010, 12:06 PM
Post #12

Drifter

Member No.: 294091

im sue to go to thailand on the 14th starting in bkk. im not concerned with the whole protests thing as the uk has a habit of blowing these things out of proportion.
however i am worried about my travel insurance!!!! does anyone know what the consequences would be for me to go even though its invalidated by the fco advice? or know of an insurance company that will still cover me for thailand despite the advice?

thanks xx
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
curt1591
post Apr 30 2010, 06:27 PM
Post #13

Explorer

The warnings will void most insurance.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Apr 30 2010, 07:12 PM
Post #14

Tripper

Member No.: 893

I tend to agree with curt1591 but the best thing to do is read carefully the fine print in your policy especially where it talks about Exclusions or when the coverage no longer applies. And if you are still uncertain, contact the insurance company for clarification.

I am pretty sure most policies state exclusion related to acts of war, natural disasters and terrorism unless you buy specific coverage for this. Civil unrest might also fall into this category as well. Just be aware that if an insurance company can find a reason not to pay out a claim, they likely will use that to justify not giving you any money.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
gemmacakebread
post May 1 2010, 03:05 AM
Post #15

Drifter

Member No.: 294091

are there many people that go away without it? cause i still want to go. but i dont want my family to pay out loads of money if i broke my arm!! thanks
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
curt1591
post May 2 2010, 08:17 PM
Post #16

Explorer

QUOTE(gemmacakebread @ May 1 2010, 01:05 AM) *

are there many people that go away without it? cause i still want to go. but i dont want my family to pay out loads of money if i broke my arm!! thanks

My medical insurance isn't travel insurance, and it will reimburse a percentage of my costs, anywhere in the world. As such, there is no "No Travel" stipulation.

Most travel insurers will void policies if one travels to "No Travel" areas. The exact designation depends on the company.

Many people from countries with wonderful socialized medicine will still opt for private care. If you are familiar with private care costs, medical care in Thailand costs a small fraction of the costs in the West.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post May 15 2010, 09:48 AM
Post #17

Navigator

Member No.: 98

Here is a map of where the dangerous parts are:

http://richardbarrow.com/

If you are in Bangkok now or arriving, DO NOT GO TO THESE AREAS.

1. It is very dangerous for you.

2. The Army and police and hospitals don't need the extra work of trying to look after you - they have enough to do.

Go to the beaches or elsewhere - everything will be fine.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
skylab
post May 15 2010, 12:07 PM
Post #18

World Traveler

Wow.. That's a really detailed map. Good article as well.

--------------------
Facebook
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
curt1591
post May 15 2010, 06:05 PM
Post #19

Explorer

QUOTE(Paul @ May 15 2010, 07:48 AM) *

Here is a map of where the dangerous parts are:

http://richardbarrow.com/

If you are in Bangkok now or arriving, DO NOT GO TO THESE AREAS.

Most taxis won't head anywhere near these areas. In fact, from the airport, drivers are being very selective about the destinations of their fares.

For the most part, the police and military won't allow people into the affected areas, without an ID showing residency. That doesn't mean it won't spill over when confrontations begin.

Do stay away.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post May 23 2010, 08:33 AM
Post #20

Navigator

Member No.: 98

QUOTE(creativeonline2 @ May 23 2010, 04:21 AM) *

Warning for all traveler, Bangkok's street is now red by public bloods. Recently I saw (19 may, 2010)an Italian Journalist has died, he was shouted by GOV. force, I don't know is it willingly or accidentally. Gov. declared curfew for 23 province. However all traveler should wait until Thailand situation get normal.

No - the streets are very clean - I was with thousands and thousands of other Thai people today cleaning them.

I am not sure who shot the Italian journalist or the other around 100 people - but at least for now the shooting has stopped, the violent mob has left the city and their (medium level) leaders arrested. Bangkok is feeling quite safe and getting back to normal.

In a few provinces there are still protests that could turn violent, but overall the country is fine for tourists.

The future for Thailand - really hard to predict. Watching the thousands come out today to clean and reconstruct their city, it looks good. But Mr Thaksin and his friends still have huge amounts of money and other forms of violence may follow in the future. We shall have to wait and see.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 10:57 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.