Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Round the world, NZ will be a part of it
allover
post Apr 7 2010, 10:45 AM
Post #1

Voyager

Group: Members
Member No.: 259043
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hey guys,

so I'm starting my round the world trip this fall.

Don't know yet how long I'll be on the road, since I have a lot of time it doesn't really matter anyways.

Startingpoint will be the Caribbean, heading down south through the middle of Southamerica to Argentina, crossing over to Brazil. Staying there for a little and flying out to New Zealand.

I've only checked some sights on the internet so far, so here is a little list, tell me what to add to it! (so far I've only planned the Northland..) wink.gif
(They are not in alphabetical order or anything)

Cape Reigna
Nintey Mile Beach
Haururu Falls
Cape Brett Lighthouse
Lang's Beach
Whangarei Falls
Coromandel
Stingray Bay
Wai-O-Tapu
Bay of plenty
Gisborne
Tongariro National Park
Mount Ngauruhoe
Lake Waikaremoane
Waitomo Glowworm Caves

I'm not really that big of a city guy so I'd prefer landscape, but if there is a must see inside a city I'll sure check it out as well.

I'm also going to check out the Southland, I've heard about somekind of a DOC ticket that allows you to sleep in some kind of houses?
What's that?

How much time should it take me to do the (so far) 1800Km/1100Mile trip on the Northland?
I would prefer hitchhiking..

Thanks in advance.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
allover
post Apr 8 2010, 06:22 AM
Post #2

Voyager

It depends...I was planning on starting in the Caribbean, but only if I get the chance to sail across the Atlantic Ocean..Otherwise I will fly somewhere north in South America.

My blogs so far haven't been good at all, they were basically just for me to remember where I went to. But I'll definatly blog about this in a better way wink.gif

Of course I like photography!
http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/mypics/1527813

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nztravelguide
post Apr 8 2010, 05:08 PM
Post #3

Pathfinder

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 72601

QUOTE(allover @ Apr 7 2010, 10:45 AM) *

Hey guys,

so I'm starting my round the world trip this fall.

Don't know yet how long I'll be on the road, since I have a lot of time it doesn't really matter anyways.

Startingpoint will be the Caribbean, heading down south through the middle of Southamerica to Argentina, crossing over to Brazil. Staying there for a little and flying out to New Zealand.

I've only checked some sights on the internet so far, so here is a little list, tell me what to add to it! (so far I've only planned the Northland..) wink.gif
(They are not in alphabetical order or anything)

Cape Reigna
Nintey Mile Beach
Haururu Falls
Cape Brett Lighthouse
Lang's Beach
Whangarei Falls
Coromandel
Stingray Bay
Wai-O-Tapu
Bay of plenty
Gisborne
Tongariro National Park
Mount Ngauruhoe
Lake Waikaremoane
Waitomo Glowworm Caves

I'm not really that big of a city guy so I'd prefer landscape, but if there is a must see inside a city I'll sure check it out as well.

I'm also going to check out the Southland, I've heard about somekind of a DOC ticket that allows you to sleep in some kind of houses?
What's that?

How much time should it take me to do the (so far) 1800Km/1100Mile trip on the Northland?
I would prefer hitchhiking..

Thanks in advance.

I lived in the Caribbean for years sailing to all the islands, then lived in Mexico and Belize.
On my last trip back to New Zealand I made sure to go to Peru, Argentina and left from the very southern tip of South America. A real experience.

Now living in New Zealand many years having settled here (ex-American) as the final leg of my life's journey. The most beautiful of the best......(my slanted opinion)....
The DoC huts are for trampers on specified hikes and would not fit your needs.
I would suggest using the backpackers throughout the country and the cabins at holiday parks for the best way to see it all at less cost.

Hitchhiking is easy here ......so far.......just try to get away from the cities.....
The South Island has the majority of the outdoor splendour.........

Have a look at my videos made from 5 1/2 years traveling here full time in a bus.....
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=newzealandtraveler#g/u

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travellernicky
post Apr 16 2010, 08:22 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 596201

You have some great places there. You must do Franz Josef Glacier and the Southland is def worth the visit. Try and get to Stewart Island if you can. It's not as expensive as everyone suggests. You can do 4 day hikes with the Department of Conservation (DOC) or just make your own way around. The hostel there is really cheap and the ferry is cheap if you book it at the same time as a Milford Sound ferry (another awesome place to see scenery). If you're after any more information this is the site that I use: http://nomadshostels.com/New-Zealand/new-z...a-travel-advice but if you have any other questions, ask away.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
allover
post Apr 17 2010, 01:26 PM
Post #5

Voyager

QUOTE(nztravelguide @ Apr 8 2010, 05:08 PM) *

I lived in the Caribbean for years sailing to all the islands, then lived in Mexico and Belize.
On my last trip back to New Zealand I made sure to go to Peru, Argentina and left from the very southern tip of South America. A real experience.

I would suggest using the backpackers throughout the country and the cabins at holiday parks for the best way to see it all at less cost.

Hitchhiking is easy here ......so far.......just try to get away from the cities.....
The South Island has the majority of the outdoor splendour.........

Have a look at my videos made from 5 1/2 years traveling here full time in a bus.....
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=newzealandtraveler#g/u

That sounds like in interesting life story!!
I didn't plan on going that far south in South America.

I'm not going to the cities anyways so that's good. Trying to camp somewhere wild as much as possible.

I'll check out those videos in the next days.
Thanks!

QUOTE(travellernicky @ Apr 16 2010, 08:22 PM) *

You have some great places there. You must do Franz Josef Glacier and the Southland is def worth the visit. Try and get to Stewart Island if you can. It's not as expensive as everyone suggests. You can do 4 day hikes with the Department of Conservation (DOC) or just make your own way around. The hostel there is really cheap and the ferry is cheap if you book it at the same time as a Milford Sound ferry (another awesome place to see scenery). If you're after any more information this is the site that I use: http://nomadshostels.com/New-Zealand/new-z...a-travel-advice but if you have any other questions, ask away.

I've seen lots of nice pictures on here of the Southland but still can't decide if I should go there or maybe check out a little bit of Queenstwon/Australia instead..

Thanks for the link..
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 05:17 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in New Zealand

Akaroa Hotels
Arrowtown Hotels
Auckland Hotels
Blenheim Hotels
Christchurch Hotels
Coromandel Hotels
Dunedin Hotels
Fox Glacier Hotels
Franz Josef Hotels
Gisborne Hotels
Greymouth Hotels
Hamilton Hotels
Hanmer Springs Hotels
Hastings Hotels
Hokitika Hotels
Invercargill Hotels
Kaikoura Hotels
Kerikeri Hotels
Lake Tekapo Hotels
Mangere Hotels
Napier Hotels
Nelson Hotels
New Plymouth Hotels
Oamaru Hotels
Paihia Hotels
Palmerston North Hotels
Picton Hotels
Queenstown Hotels
Rotorua Hotels
Russell Hotels
Taupo Hotels
Tauranga Hotels
Te Anau Hotels
Timaru Hotels
Waiheke Island Hotels
Wanaka Hotels
Wanganui Hotels
Wellington Hotels
Whangarei Hotels
Whitianga Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.