Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trains from Moscow to Ekaterinburg and then onto Irkutsk? - Yekaterinburg and Irkutsk/Lake Baikal travel question
jmabro
post Apr 5 2010, 01:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 84062
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Can anyone please advise on the difference in the trains from Moscow to Ekaterinburg and then onto Irkutsk? We will be travelling in June and I have seen that train 16 is the most direct. Is it best to take this rather than train 2 or 10? What's the difference?
We will then be travelling onto Irkustk. I have read that train 10 is the best but train 2 also sounds ok. Has anyone who has been on these trains got any advice? Is there an electical power socket in the compartment? Finally, any views on 1st class vs 2nd class for the two of us?
Any advice on Lake Baikal Listvianka and Olkhon Island?
Thanks.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sibways
post Apr 6 2010, 09:11 AM
Post #2

Wayfarer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 596101

hi, time difference is 1 hour between 16 and 10 to get to Ekaterinburg and no difference between 16 and 2. Generally they go Moscow-Ekaterinburg for 26 hours. The difference is in the final destination of the train and their classes.
As for Ekaterinburg-Irkutsk. The same thing: no difference between 10 and 2 in terms of shipment time (50 hours). The difference is in the final destination of the train and their classes.
About 16th see the link http://eng.rzd.ru/isvp/public/rzdeng?STRUCTURE_ID=4109
It has special fare too.
In Olkhon Nikita Bencharov has pretty good facilities for accommodation and meeting in airport to book via Internet. There is the possibility to get the different and more cheap accommodation too.
From Listvyanka the trail runs ashore.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jmabro
post Jun 5 2010, 09:51 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 84062

Hi, Thanks for the information especially the link for train 16. We have now booked train 16 and 2 and are going Olkhon Island as well! Really excited for our trip and looking forward to relaxing on the trains...and at the lake.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
runbikefly
post Jun 5 2010, 12:10 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1006291

QUOTE(jmabro @ Jun 5 2010, 09:51 AM) *

Hi, Thanks for the information especially the link for train 16. We have now booked train 16 and 2 and are going Olkhon Island as well! Really excited for our trip and looking forward to relaxing on the trains...and at the lake.

I have been on a few train trips in Russia and I was traveling by myself. I have been in the 1st class (good for 2) and the 2nd class (good for 4). I really enjoyed my train rides. The views outside ur window are just incredible, coz it really is like going to another world, like a storybook fairytale. The tiny houses (I am talking about out of Moscow or any city) the people working their vegetable gardens. THe smoke coming out of all the chimneys. How i want to go back there someday. Each train car has it's own attendant, very much like a flight attendant, and she will bring u tea or whatever. They can pack so much food and snacks into this little plastic container. These things really impressed me coz I am a flight attendant, ha ha. There is a great diner car too where you can go and order food . I found the Russians so friendly. I love it there. Have fun.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th September 2014 - 08:05 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.