Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Campervan or hire car Brisbane-Port Douglas/Mossman?
stellios2
post Apr 2 2010, 06:21 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 890671
Nominate me as a Local Expert

We are a family of 2 adults and 4 children weighing up the pros and cons of hiring a campervan vs a car- the latter coming in at around 600 cheaper. We are travelling for 5 1/2 weeks this July/Aug with a view to possible emmigration so are keen to check out as many locations as possible. We have a rental for the first week In Tamborine Mountain and a house swap in Mossman that we will use for a week or so later on. I feel that the camper would offer ultimate flexibility or would we find cheap accomodation easily for a family group this size? Any advice much appreciated.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rossport
post Apr 25 2010, 03:55 PM
Post #2

Pathfinder

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 202074

QUOTE(stellios2 @ Apr 2 2010, 06:21 AM) *

We are a family of 2 adults and 4 children weighing up the pros and cons of hiring a campervan vs a car- the latter coming in at around 600 cheaper. We are travelling for 5 1/2 weeks this July/Aug with a view to possible emmigration so are keen to check out as many locations as possible. We have a rental for the first week In Tamborine Mountain and a house swap in Mossman that we will use for a week or so later on. I feel that the camper would offer ultimate flexibility or would we find cheap accomodation easily for a family group this size? Any advice much appreciated.

G'day Stellos
I have had a quick look at costings for camper van V 4wd hire car reason for this is that in Australia a car has maximum 5 person per vehicle hence the need for a 7 seater 4 wheel drive the costings for roughly 5 weeks were the 4wd was about $6,000 an the car was about $4,000 both require fuel on top of rental the down side to the camper is it has only double beds so depending on the ages of the kids they would have to share a bed un less u hired extra camp beds an they could sleep out side july /August can be quite cold at night with night temps down as low as 0c in some place even in Queensland.

Accommodation can be found cheaply if u are prepared to look around if u have an idea of places you will be then may i suggest u use one of the search engines for discounted rooms from sites such as last minute or one i use a fair bit and have no problems with is wotif.com both sites have a range of accommodation you put in the dates u are looking for the location and it will come up with a motel hotel with its deal i then ring the hotel direct and say is this deal available and if not whats their best price usually they will offer you a good deal.

The average price per night is usually between about $100-$150 in some of the smaller towns. in the larger touristy places cost are slightly higher.

Another factor too is when u get here buy a cheap GPS they can be bought for as little as $120 and will be a major argument stopper when u are in the middle of the city or in the bush trying to read a map and have no idea where u are. Hiring one from the rental people is quite expensive as they usually charge $10 a day.
Hope this bit of advise help in your decision making and you enjoy your time and stay in Australia.
Cheers Stewart
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
stellios2
post May 7 2010, 02:55 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 890671

Thanks for replies. We have now booked the campervan as it really does seem to offer us the ultimate flexibility we need. Luckily it actually comes with a free GPS and was incredibly reasonable. Just can't wait to get there now!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rossport
post May 7 2010, 02:40 PM
Post #4

Pathfinder

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 202074

QUOTE(stellios2 @ May 7 2010, 02:55 AM) *

Thanks for replies. We have now booked the campervan as it really does seem to offer us the ultimate flexibility we need. Luckily it actually comes with a free GPS and was incredibly reasonable. Just can't wait to get there now!

Well Done and enjoy your time here in Oz as that time of year the weather will be great especially up north. and am looking forward to reading your travel blog once you have it up and established.

Cheers Stewart
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
darrenstravels
post May 16 2010, 10:48 AM
Post #5

Tourist

Member No.: 167016

We had a fantastic time in our Campervan trip across Australia. No need for GPS, tons of decent maps available (and the further North you go, the less roads there are!)

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 03:36 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Australia

Adelaide Hotels
Airlie Beach Hotels
Albany Hotels
Albury Hotels
Alice Springs Hotels
Apollo Bay Hotels
Ballarat Hotels
Bendigo Hotels
Brisbane Hotels
Broadbeach Hotels
Broome Hotels
Byron Bay Hotels
Cairns Hotels
Caloundra Hotels
Canberra Hotels
Coffs Harbour Hotels
Coolangatta Hotels
Darwin Hotels
Hervey Bay Hotels
Hobart Hotels
Launceston Hotels
Mackay Hotels
Main Beach Hotels
Margaret River Hotels
Maroochydore Hotels
Melbourne Hotels
Mooloolaba Hotels
Newcastle Hotels
Noosa Hotels
Palm Cove Hotels
Perth Hotels
Pokolbin Hotels
Port Douglas Hotels
Port Macquarie Hotels
Rockhampton Hotels
St Kilda Hotels
Surfers Paradise Hotels
Sydney Hotels
Toowoomba Hotels
Townsville Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.