Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

> Krakow City Guide: The Basic
greekcypriot
post Mar 31 2010, 12:56 AM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 273790

I believe that the information below will help those who are planning a trip to Krakow, Poland's former capital.

KRAKOW BASIC GUIDE

Poland’s glorious former capital still has the air – and appearance – of a city born to greater things. Indeed, few European cities can muster such an impressive and authentic Old Town, a captivating mix of Gothic, Renaissance and baroque buildings that is all the more precious for having survived the Second World War, and Communism, almost unscathed. Overlooking it all is Wawel, the riverside hill where the kings of Poland were crowned, lived and buried for more than 500 years, and which still occupies a special place in the country’s turbulent history.

Krakow’s cultural highlights aren’t solely architectural, however. Its many museums showcase everything from aristocratic interiors to folk costumes, oils by Renaissance masters such as Leonardo da Vinci to touching mementoes of Krakow’s Jewish community.

Music, too, has always played a large part in the city’s daily life, and summer in particular brings a flurry of festivals: from Early Music and opera to jazz.
Life’s more earthly pleasures haven’t been overlooked. The city is regarded as the gourmet capital of Poland, where a younger generation of chefs experiments with traditional dishes and ingredients, and serve up the polished results in suitably chic surroundings.

There’s a thriving café scene, too, for those who prefer home-made cakes and scrubbed pine tables. Nor does the fun have to end after dark, thanks to Krakow’s selection of sleek cocktail joints, bohemian bars and lively beer halls catering to all tastes.

Prices in Krakow are still very reasonable, meaning your money will stretch just that bit further than at home.

Insider's tips
• Poland is in the EU, but still has its own currency, the Polish Zlotych. The exchange rate is currently around 4.25 zlotych to £1.

• Smoking is still allowed in bars and cafés, and there are no plans at present to introduce a ban.

• The Krakow Card (www.krakowcard.com) provides free entrance to 30 museums, as well as free travel on the city’s trams and buses, though the city centre is small enough for walking. Two-day card £11.75, three-day card £15.50.

• The train from the airport to the central station just north of the Old Town costs less than £1. Hop on the shuttle bus outside the terminal for the world’s shortest transfer.

• If you say thank you, nod your head or smile when the waiter collects your money, they will probably take this to mean that you don’t want any change.

--------------------
My LATEST BLOGS: Marmari, Vasa, and CYPRUS, the Unique Destination for Business and Holidays!!!

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 7)
nigh_panda
post May 20 2010, 04:12 AM
Post #2

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 926111
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Everything in this guide is correct, but the one important place is misssing - Baccarat club.
That's destination which almost every traveller should visit. Great fun guaranteed, i'm telling you.
Only if you like parties with disco music and so on smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
soar
post May 31 2010, 05:52 AM
Post #3

Wanderer

Member No.: 631281

Nightlife has a special place in the heart of Krakow. This city offers one of the most diverse arrays of bars and clubs. I think Krakow is one of the busiest cities where one slaves away as a soldier all day working the 9-5 shift and then whisks away the nights and weekends in its vast nightlife scene. Baccarat is one of the best clubs in Krakow and it is worth seeing
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
cruellademon
post May 31 2010, 07:39 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1038991

QUOTE(soar @ May 31 2010, 05:52 AM) *

Nightlife has a special place in the heart of Krakow. This city offers one of the most diverse arrays of bars and clubs. I think Krakow is one of the busiest cities where one slaves away as a soldier all day working the 9-5 shift and then whisks away the nights and weekends in its vast nightlife scene. Baccarat is one of the best clubs in Krakow and it is worth seeing

What can I add more....if someone is planning to stay here (I mean Cracow) the plan from above is really good - Crakow has got a lot to offer so it's really easy to find something to do here. About place to stay it's also really easy to find smth interesting - If anyone is looking for a good place I can recommended to you Aston Hostel - it 's very cosy place in the city center so you would not have a problems how to return to hostel when it will be late!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nigh_panda
post May 31 2010, 08:16 AM
Post #5

Drifter

Member No.: 926111

Oh, so not only me knows Baccarat club.
soar, what do like the most about this place?
Haven't you mentioned somewhere else about great inner design and cyclical parties?
What kind of party you experienced?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
soar
post Jun 2 2010, 05:12 AM
Post #6

Wanderer

Member No.: 631281

cruellademon It happens that I well know Aston Hostel. It's just few minutes for a wlak from city centre :-) You're right that Aston is good place to accomodation smile.gif Did you sleep there?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
judyjetson
post Jul 6 2010, 02:23 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1115841

What's the price for one night? I'm looking for a place for one week in a strict centre. Is there is a wifi connection in a hotel or better in a room? I will be grateful for any information. smile.gif And one more question - do I have to book a room in advance? How much earlier do I have to do it?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
newtommy
post Oct 18 2010, 06:34 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1403951

QUOTE(judyjetson @ Jul 6 2010, 02:23 AM) *

What's the price for one night? I'm looking for a place for one week in a strict centre. Is there is a wifi connection in a hotel or better in a room? I will be grateful for any information. smile.gif And one more question - do I have to book a room in advance? How much earlier do I have to do it?

I've stayed in Old Town Hostel for 50zl per night (it was around 13euro), of course there is a wifi connection and its right in the center (plac szczepanski). You should book it in advanced just to be sure there's gonna be a room for you, Cracow is full with turist most of the year.

Cheers!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 05:12 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.