Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Western China travel
miltonc
post Apr 24 2008, 04:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 172643
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I am headed for China in June and have a two-week tour already booked for eastern China. My plans had been to head on up to Mongolia with a study group for three weeks, but there is a chance the price of my Mongolia leg will triple on me, rendering it too costly for me. I teach Cultural Geography and would love to head toward Western China (Silk Road) for a very different experience. All of the packaged tours seem to include some places I will have already visited and/or are surprisingly pricey. I'm thinking of winging it by taking the train west and allowing for some overnights in certain cities. I left my "Spring Chicken" years behind me quite a few decades ago, but still have some adventure left in me. I have not received replies from any internet inquiries I've launched to travel companies, so feel a bit in the dark. Might anyone have any advice/ideas for this journey I'd like to undertake. I would hope to spend about two weeks catching the trains, enjoying some cities, spending time in places such as Kashgar, and getting a feel for the ethnic mix of Western China (or Central Asia). Do you think this is doable for around USD 1,000? Would appreciate any help, since I've been thrown a bit of a curve ball with the potential Mongolia changes. Thanks much. Cristine (this is my first blog post ever !)
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Apr 25 2008, 08:19 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Hi Cristine, welcome to the forums! I hope you find some information here.

I've never been to China but:

If I was planning this trip, the first thing I would do is read some travel blogs from the area.

So here are some from Kashgar: http://www.travelpod.com/blogs/0/China/Kashgar.html

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
miltonc
post Apr 26 2008, 05:56 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Apr 25 2008, 09:19 AM) *

Hi Cristine, welcome to the forums! I hope you find some information here.

I've never been to China but:

If I was planning this trip, the first thing I would do is read some travel blogs from the area.

So here are some from Kashgar: http://www.travelpod.com/blogs/0/China/Kashgar.html

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
miltonc
post Apr 26 2008, 05:59 PM
Post #4

Thanks ! I'm having trouble using this site. How do I get my question out of the subfolder I seem to have created it in and into the larger Orient forum? And then I hit reply several times, but only your message came up again. Didn't see any reply box. Several tries later I finally found a fast reply box and am using it. Any advice?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Apr 28 2008, 12:16 PM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

I moved the topic to the China forum, but I'm not sure what you are talking about. When you hit reply, just start typing below the previous post's words and hit add reply and you are all set.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
china_traveler
post May 20 2008, 09:26 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 156587

Hi Christine,
I have been doing a lot of research on Xinjiang and Gansu province lately. l be there in July until mid-August. We are going the witness the solar eclipse on August 1st after spending a week in Dunhuang. I am one of a group of 4. How long do you plan on staying in Western China? I would be happy to share my knowledge.
James
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
evamaria85
post May 27 2008, 09:41 AM
Post #7

Drifter

Member No.: 1099

1000UDS will be enough to get you around a bit of China in three weeks, that is if you stay away from pricey hotels and airports (which you plan on anyway).

Buying tickets in China can be a little...how to put it...challenging if you don't speak the language, but it is absolutely possible with a little patience. And the tickets are cheap, if you take a hard sleeper the train ticket will be around 280RMB from Beijing to Xi'An.

I havn't, yet, been in the north western part of China, but I have been to many other places in China, as I have lived there for 5 years, so feel free to ask if you have any question.
Best,
Eva Maria
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
charlotte850505
post Nov 1 2008, 04:15 AM
Post #8

Explorer

Member No.: 251580

it is a good trip,you have a good time there,didn't you ?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 06:30 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in China

Beijing Hotels
Changchun Hotels
Changsha Hotels
Chengdu Hotels
Chongqing Hotels
Dalian Hotels
Dongguan Hotels
Foshan Hotels
Fuzhou Hotels
Guangzhou Hotels
Guilin Hotels
Haikou Hotels
Hangzhou Hotels
Harbin Hotels
Hefei Hotels
Hong Kong Hotels
Jinan Hotels
Kunming Hotels
Lanzhou Hotels
Lijiang Hotels
Nanchang Hotels
Nanjing Hotels
Nanning Hotels
Ningbo Hotels
Qingdao Hotels
Sanya Hotels
Shanghai Hotels
Shenyang Hotels
Shenzhen Hotels
Suzhou Hotels
Taiyuan Hotels
Tianjin Hotels
Urumqi Hotels
Wenzhou Hotels
Wuhan Hotels
Wuxi Hotels
Xi'an Hotels
Xiamen Hotels
Zhengzhou Hotels
Zhuhai Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.