Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Little Korean Culture
missyjoymel
post Mar 24 2010, 01:58 AM
Post #1

Wayfarer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 128451

Thinking of visiting/relocating to South Korea?? I came across a short article recently, that discusses Korean Culture and what to expect. I've lived here for over two years, thought this was pretty close to the norm here. Enjoy!

http://teachersforsouthkorea.com/about-sou...korean-culture/
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
will
post Mar 25 2010, 10:51 PM
Post #2

Expeditionist

Member No.: 952

Pretty much spot on that article. I've been in Korea for seven months now. Enjoying it, but it can be extremely frustrating at times. Especially for a vegetarian!

--------------------
"I should like to spend my whole life traveling, if only I could borrow another to spend at home" - William Hazlitt

You can see my travelblog here!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
missyjoymel
post Mar 25 2010, 11:40 PM
Post #3

Wayfarer

Member No.: 128451

Yeah! I liked it too. I mostly liked this paragraph:

"South Korea has changed dramatically in recent decades. Many westerners, condescendingly, think ‘development’ is synonymous with ‘westernisation’ and while all the big cities have MacDonalds, 7-Eleven and an abundance of places to get your fill of lattes, Korea’s apparent westernisation is largely superficial. The centuries-old foundations of Korean society remain intact. A Korean code of manners is routine. Buddhism and Confucian ethics, perhaps a little diluted, and the importance of family still remain the basis of society here."

I have often tried to put that point into words, and this article did it pretty well.

One thing that I would point out though, is that while I totally agree that Korea is very safe for foreigners...don't fail to use good judgment. I've been driven in circles for a while by a taxi driver who figured out I had no idea where I was going. When I first got here, that happened a lot. Since I know where I'm going these, and can tell him mostly in Korean, that has stopped completely. Every once in a while an enterprising shopkeeper may try to take advantage of you. HOWEVER, I've had hovering ajumas (older women) put the shopkeeper in his place for trying to rip me off. I have had my apartment broken into, and I know a woman who was attacked. My point is....people are people in every country.

Not trying to instill any kind of fear, just be careful. Most people will go out of their way to help you, and it really is pretty safe--safer and more honest than where I grew up in some respects. Just don't totally let your guard down. If you are a foreigner, you are a target--for both good and bad deeds. Don't be stupid. biggrin.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
will
post Mar 25 2010, 11:46 PM
Post #4

Expeditionist

Member No.: 952

True about taxi drivers. I've been taken for a ride on a couple of occasions. I tend to describe Korea as being the country most at war with itself I have ever come across. Wanting so hard to modernise and be a world leader, but at the same time maintaining its centuries old traditions.

--------------------
"I should like to spend my whole life traveling, if only I could borrow another to spend at home" - William Hazlitt

You can see my travelblog here!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kitkatgo
post Aug 3 2010, 12:26 PM
Post #5

Navigator

Member No.: 13816

Those are great articles. I am a TEFL (English as a Foreign Language) teacher and have many Korean students. Some I tutor in their homes, and it's quite helpful to know the culture.

Thanks! speak_cool.gif

--------------------
~Kit
California Local Expert

Visit my travel blogs:
http://www.travelpod.com/members/kitkatgo
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shangguan
post Aug 8 2010, 08:36 PM
Post #6

Pathfinder

Member No.: 255321

That was a great article. Thank you. I was in Seoul recently, but only for 10 hours while waiting for my next plane. I was enchanted by the people and the culture, what I saw of it. I really want to get back.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lukeshartung
post May 8 2013, 03:41 AM
Post #7

Group: Members
Member No.: 3802603

Pretty spot on article there
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 01:08 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.