Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Will my UK debit card work in Kathmandu?
mountainlove
post Mar 20 2010, 02:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 813711

Hello,

I found information that I withdraw money with a credit card but non if I actually could use my UK debit card at cash point machines in Kathmandu.
Does anyone has information about this????

Many thanks in advance

Maya
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
will
post Mar 22 2010, 11:00 PM
Post #2

Expeditionist

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 952

QUOTE(mountainlove @ Mar 21 2010, 06:53 AM) *

I found information that I withdraw money with a credit card but non if I actually could use my UK debit card at cash point machines in Kathmandu.
Does anyone has information about this????

If you want to use a UK debit card overseas, make sure you tell your bank where you are going. Otherwise you'll only be able to use it once before they block it, and then you could be in trouble, like I was!

--------------------
"I should like to spend my whole life traveling, if only I could borrow another to spend at home" - William Hazlitt

You can see my travelblog here!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mountainlove
post Mar 23 2010, 11:30 AM
Post #3

Thank you I will make sure to phone them
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
luke_1989
post Mar 23 2010, 02:35 PM
Post #4

Pathfinder

Member No.: 266185

I went to my bank to tell them i was going traveling and the Lady said i didnt need to inform them? Im worried that my card will get barred should i ask to speak to someone other than a cashier or is it just certain banks that do this?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Mar 23 2010, 09:44 PM
Post #5

Tripper

Member No.: 893

I would think your bank must have a 1-800 number to call. To help alleviate your concern, I would also call and check with the department specifically in charge of the debit cards. I think blocking is more a concern with credit cards but it likely depends on your bank. Better safe than sorry.....
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
will
post Mar 24 2010, 12:49 AM
Post #6

Expeditionist

I'm not sure if all banks do it, but to be on the safe side I'd tell them before travelling. I've been in situations where debit cards didn't work and in other places where credit cards didn't work.

--------------------
"I should like to spend my whole life traveling, if only I could borrow another to spend at home" - William Hazlitt

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mountainlove
post Mar 24 2010, 05:34 AM
Post #7

Ok I phoned my bank (same number I use for phone banking) and they said that a call is important and that they did make a note that I will be travelling around Nepal. However they said depending on the region and bank I might still have problems and that my card might get blocked. In that case they said to phone them again and then all blocks will be removed. The reason is that they still need to have some kind of security just in case my card will get stolen.
They also advised to do the same just in case you are planning to use your credit card.

So make sure you take your banks phone number and some cash for emergencys (as it can take a few hours for the card to work again after you phone them)

That information is from a bank based in the UK so it might differ from other countrys.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
will
post Mar 24 2010, 07:31 AM
Post #8

Expeditionist

It's the same with Australian banks.

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Mar 24 2010, 03:35 PM
Post #9

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 101826

QUOTE(luke_1989 @ Mar 23 2010, 07:35 PM) *

I went to my bank to tell them i was going traveling and the Lady said i didnt need to inform them? Im worried that my card will get barred should i ask to speak to someone other than a cashier or is it just certain banks that do this?

Luke

I've had all sorts of problems with bank cards being stopped on various trips. I think it very much depends who you are with. We rang Barclays to tell them we were going to Morocco for example and they 'noted' it, yet within one withdrawal they stopped the card. We rang up and got it 'released' only for it to be stopped again a couple of days later. This trip is not a one off, it's happened before. We plan on swapping to a Nationwide account before we go travelling in December, as I've been told they are the best for this sort of thing. Essentially, I think the key is to make sure you take a contact number for your bank, and not to leave it till you run completely out of money before you try and get some more.

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

"Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment sparkling like a star in our hand -- and melting like a snowflake" - Marie Beynon Ray
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
luke_1989
post Mar 24 2010, 05:51 PM
Post #10

Pathfinder

Thanks everyone smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
luke_1989
post Mar 24 2010, 06:21 PM
Post #11

Pathfinder

I am going abroad and I don't want my card to be blocked. Can you put a note on your systems?

No. Our systems do not offer the functionality to do this for security reasons. Most of our fraud happens abroad so if we freed up your account it would be open to abuse by a fraudster.

Always travel with various options so you can access money (e.g. foreign currency, other debit or credit cards.)

Should you be travelling abroad soon please ensure that you have the relevant overseas customer service contact numbers. Please also ensure that we hold your up to date contact details by updating them at your local branch.

Telephone Banking
Personal Customers - 08457 888444 (Overseas +44 8705 888444).
Business Customers - 08457 114477 (Overseas +44 8705 114477).
Customers with hearing and speech impairments can contact us by Minicom number 0800 404 6161.
Calls may be recorded.

Card Services
0870 3339091 (Overseas +44 870 333 9091).
Max call charge from a BT landline is 8p plus 6p per minute. Calls from other networks may vary. Calls may be recorded.

NatWest Branch Locator
Find your nearest branch using our branch locator.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh well i guess i will just have to deal with it when it happens laugh.gif frantics.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Mar 24 2010, 06:49 PM
Post #12

Tripper

Member No.: 893

QUOTE(luke_1989 @ Mar 24 2010, 07:21 PM) *

Oh well i guess i will just have to deal with it when it happens laugh.gif frantics.gif

That is the best attitude to have.... especially if you will be travelling in China! wink.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 05:02 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Nepal

Annapurna Region Hotels
Balthali Hotels
Bandipur Hotels
Beni Hotels
Bhaktapur Hotels
Bharatpur Hotels
Biratnagar Hotels
Butwal Hotels
Charikot Hotels
Chitwan District Hotels
Daman Hotels
Dhading Hotels
Dhangadhi Hotels
Dhulikhel Hotels
Gati Hotels
Ghandruk Hotels
Gorkha Hotels
Janakpur Hotels
Jiri Hotels
Jomosom Hotels
Kagbeni Hotels
Kathmandu Hotels
Kirtipur Hotels
Kurintar Hotels
Lukla Hotels
Lumbini Hotels
Mahendranagar Hotels
Meghauli Hotels
Mustang Region Hotels
Nagarkot Hotels
Namche Bazaar Hotels
Nepalgunj Hotels
Nuwakot Hotels
Patan (Lalitpur) Hotels
Pokhara Hotels
Sauraha Hotels
Sunsari Hotels
Tansen Hotels
Tengboche Hotels
Thami Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.