Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sevilla
lar4290
post Apr 21 2008, 02:14 AM
Post #1

Wayfarer

Group: Members
Member No.: 115081

Hey everyone,
I'm going to be spending 6 weeks in Sevilla while studying this summer. There's so much information out there on Madrid and Barcelona, but I'm having trouble finding really specific information on Sevilla. Does anyone know of neat neighborhoods for young people to hang out in (other than right around the university) or of uncommon day trips/weekend trips (i.e. not Malaga, Sevilla, Granada, etc.)? Also, I do want to see both Madrid and Barcelona - how would you recommend getting to each (especaially Madrid - would you take the train or bus? I'll probably have to fly to Barcelona since it looks like train/bus rides are 10-12 hours and I'll only have a 2.5 day weekend!).
Any help/advice is welcome and much appreciated for this first-time traveler to Spain!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Apr 21 2008, 02:07 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Can't say I've ever been to Spain, but it looks lovely. I think if I was traveling in Europe, I would always take a train, just because it seems like more of an "authentic" way to get around.
But, probably a bus is cheaper.

Have you checked out some of the blogs yet?

What about a weekend trip to Portugal instead? It's pretty close and just as beautiful.

You could probably even go to Morocco for the weekend...

Uncle Davros went to some off-the-beaten-path places, you could check those out here: http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entri...08500/tpod.html

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mlb662
post May 7 2008, 06:23 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 179082

QUOTE(lar4290 @ Apr 21 2008, 02:14 AM) *

Hey everyone,
I'm going to be spending 6 weeks in Sevilla while studying this summer. There's so much information out there on Madrid and Barcelona, but I'm having trouble finding really specific information on Sevilla. Does anyone know of neat neighborhoods for young people to hang out in (other than right around the university) or of uncommon day trips/weekend trips (i.e. not Malaga, Sevilla, Granada, etc.)? Also, I do want to see both Madrid and Barcelona - how would you recommend getting to each (especaially Madrid - would you take the train or bus? I'll probably have to fly to Barcelona since it looks like train/bus rides are 10-12 hours and I'll only have a 2.5 day weekend!).
Any help/advice is welcome and much appreciated for this first-time traveler to Spain!

The quickest way to get from Sevilla to Madrid is by the TGV (very fast train; I forget the Spanish name for it). I took a bus from Granada to Sevilla, and the bus was very nice. Clean bus, clean waiting room, comfortable, etc. If you do go to Granada, it is now a timed-entry to the Alhambra. We loved the province of Extremadura, right next to Andalucia. Also, I would recommend visiting the so-called "white villages" on the ruta de los pueblos blancos. We enjoyed Jerez, where you can visit the sherry bodegas. Malaga is over-developed, or I might even say ruined by the urbanizacion. As for Barcelona, as you note, it's very far away! If you fall in love with Andalucia, you may want to leave that for another trip. I must say that Sevilla is my favorite city in Spain and you are very lucky! I am a big flamenco and spanish guitar fan and hope you are too...or will be soon.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lar4290
post Dec 17 2008, 03:27 AM
Post #4

Wayfarer

Member No.: 115081

Thanks for your advice! I wasn't there long enough so I didn't get to do all I wanted, but I did get to spend a weekend in the Algarve in Portugal, visit Lisbon, go to Cordoba and Granada, spend a long weekend in Morocco, travel through Extremadura (great advice - well off the tourist path), Huelva province, and go to Madrid for a weekend. We ended up taking the bus to Madrid, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone else reading this - it's only 32 Euros round trip - which is a lot cheaper than the AVE, which is about 150 round trip. We took night buses there and back (i.e. midnight-6am, so the six hour ride wasn't a problem). I'd definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to go back and forth on a budget - www.socibus.es. Everyone who visited Barcelona did fly, as trains/buses take 11-13 hours. I'll have to save that trip for next time!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 01:55 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.