Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Laos to Cambodia overland - cambodia visa, Visas
ristohannah
post Mar 17 2010, 04:37 AM
Post #1

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 428151
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi, does anyone know if you can get visas for Cambodia at the Stung Treng border crossing? My guide book says you can't, although have heard by word of mouth you can - can anyone tell me for sure?! or recommend an alternative overland route (coming from southern Laos) thanks!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
danstravelworld
post Mar 17 2010, 09:39 AM
Post #2

Voyager

Member No.: 104714

QUOTE(ristohannah @ Mar 17 2010, 04:37 AM) *

Hi, does anyone know if you can get visas for Cambodia at the Stung Treng border crossing? My guide book says you can't, although have heard by word of mouth you can - can anyone tell me for sure?! or recommend an alternative overland route (coming from southern Laos) thanks!

e-visa is not available at this crossing but VOA is so here's the published info given out in Siem Reap:

Voeung Kam, Laos/Dom Kralor, Cambodia
Cambodian visas are available at the border (Don't forget to bring a photo!). Some travelers report that visas are only available at the road crossing, not at the river crossing. Laos visas NOT available at the border. No special permits required from either Cambodia or Laos.

Open 08:00-17:00
There are two border crossing points with Laos relatively close to one another: 1) the riverine crossing at Koh Chheuteal Thom; 2) the road crossing at Dom Kralor. Expect extra fees for “stamps” on both sides of the border.

To get to the Lao border crossing from Phnom Penh, take a taxi or bus to Stung Treng town, and then arrange transport to the border from Stung Treng. The road from Phnom Penh all the way through Stung Treng and to the border has recently been improved and is currently in comparatively good condition. Travelers used to take the ferry most of the way to Stung Treng, but now with the improved road conditions, most most people go by road.

To get to Stung Treng either:

1) Take a Phnom Penh Sorya Transport bus (station near the Central Market in Phnom Penh) for 42,000 riel, 7-10 hours. The bus departs the Phnom Penh station daily at 7:00AM,

or;

2) To get to Stung Treng via Kratie: Take a Phnom Penh Sorya Transport for 21,000 riel, 7 hours. Departs daily at 7:30AM. Then take a share taxi to Stung Treng for 20,000 riel, 2-3 hours.

To get to the border crossing from Stung Treng, either take a ferry ($5/person, $30 for a private boat, 1 - 3 hours) or the minibus to the road crossing.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ristohannah
post Mar 17 2010, 11:26 PM
Post #3

Wanderer

many thanks for the advice!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
danstravelworld
post Mar 18 2010, 04:47 AM
Post #4

Voyager

Member No.: 104714

QUOTE(ristohannah @ Mar 17 2010, 11:26 PM) *

many thanks for the advice!

Every bus will go via Kratie, so just get a ticket there and stop overnight if you've got time. It's a nice day trip the next day out on the river, see the dolphins etc, picnic etc. Theres heaps of very low price accomodation all mid-range as well.

It'll also be cheaper for you to stop there and grab a bus to Siem Reap from there.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ristohannah
post Mar 19 2010, 06:18 AM
Post #5

Wanderer

brilliant, will take your advice, many thanks!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 11:35 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Laos

Ban Khiet Ngong Hotels
Ban Laongam Hotels
Ban Nahin Hotels
Ban Napeng Hotels
Ban Xieng Lom Hotels
Champasak Hotels
Champasak Hotels
Don Kho Hotels
Don Khone Hotels
Don Khong Hotels
Dondet Hotels
Hongsa Hotels
Houei Xai Hotels
Huay Xai Hotels
Lak Sao Hotels
Luang Namtha Hotels
Luang Prabang Hotels
Muang Khammouan Hotels
Muang Khong Hotels
Muang Khua Hotels
Muang La Hotels
Muang Ngoi Neua Hotels
Muang Pakxong Hotels
Muang Sing Hotels
Muang Xay Hotels
Nong Khiaw Hotels
Pak-Lay Hotels
Pakbeng Hotels
Paksan Hotels
Pakse Hotels
Phongsaly Hotels
Phonsavan Hotels
Savannakhet Hotels
Sayaboury Hotels
Thalat Hotels
Vang Vieng Hotels
Vientiane Hotels
Xam Neua Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.