Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> how to get from australia to indonesia on a boat •, howto¿¿
moojimooji
post May 22 2004, 11:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 48

hi there - do any of you have any idea how to get from australia to indonesia by boat? i can't seem to find any info on this anywhere.. !! please help!!
[our goal is actually to get to thailand.. so if there is another/better way... let me know]

thanks °°•karen [COLOR=blue]
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lucky
post May 31 2004, 06:29 AM
Post #2

HitchHiker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Here is what a friend of mine recommended:

http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=...=1085996804420&

either head to cairns, then to papua new guinea, then trek thru and get to indo (risky as hell right now).

or maybe from darwin, should be able to cathc something there.

my bro is up that way so i will ask him next time i speak with him.

it's a short trip but rough waters, so dont take aything shaky.

also thrs pirates and illegal traffikers, so take care.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
andrea
post Jun 2 2004, 10:29 AM
Post #3

Globetrotter

Member No.: 2

I think that your best best would be to try to get a ride crewing on a private yacht from Darwin. Often you can get the ride in exchange for your work on the boat, or you may be charged a small fee for food. Check out the bulletin board at the local marina - you can also post a request there.

Happy Trails,
Andrea
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
AussieQLD
post Nov 24 2004, 03:07 PM
Post #4

Unregistered

I just wouldn't do it, simple as that. Fly.....you'll survive that way
+Quote Post
zzz_nathan
post Nov 3 2005, 08:13 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 331

QUOTE(moojimooji @ May 22 2004, 11:40 PM) *

hi there - do any of you have any idea how to get from australia to indonesia by boat? i can't seem to find any info on this anywhere.. !! please help!!
[our goal is actually to get to thailand.. so if there is another/better way... let me know]

thanks °°•karen [COLOR=blue]

Hi there

Well the great thing is there is no information. If there was there would be hundreds of backpackers trying it. So one of your replies is on the money.You have to hitch a ride. Years ago we hitched from Benoa harbour in Bali to Darwin on a yatch and paid a small amount of money and worked on the sailing ship. So get to Darwin and get down to the harbour and put your name on a board at the yatching clubs and ask everyone who works there if they know of someone who is off to Indo. The problem with Cairns is very few ships go directly to Indo. The Cairns yatchs will stop in Darwin anyway to refuel and restock and rest so Darwin for Indo is the best bet. Remeber too that you can try going to small airports and hitching a ride with transport planes to Darwin. Fun and cheap. Have fun!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
cobi
post Apr 2 2006, 03:13 AM
Post #6

Voyager

Member No.: 247

Wow... you're game. It would never occur to me to go to Indo from Oz via boat, given that there are lots of dodgy pirate types in those waters... I'll be interested to hear if you do go that way how you went!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
technotrekker
post Apr 2 2006, 08:40 AM
Post #7

Explorer

Member No.: 231

There is a sailing event each year called the Darwin-Bali Rally (see website) that departs late July and takes about 1 month to reach Bali and 3 months to reach Thailand. There might be boats sailing at other times but definitely not as frequently.

Many boats need crew (not necessarily experienced) so you can try approaching them directly from the race website or by registerıng on sites like Boatıng Oz. My first boat fell through so I just turned up at Darwin marına a couple of weeks beforehand and asked around - people will be looking for crew up to a week out (as it takes about a week to do the paperwork).

There's plenty of description and pics from the 2005 event in the blog linked below, ıncluding a summary of boat life and what is expected of crew.

Any questıons after all of that, please ask.
TT

Oh yeah - none of the 70 beats last year encourtered any pirates. They're the least of your worrıes...

--------------------
Overland from Sydney to Scotland - via a wintry Siberia! Photoblog here.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dutchpickle
post Apr 23 2007, 07:17 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 50629

pardon me, new to this forum and I double posted
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dutchpickle
post Apr 23 2007, 07:30 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 50629

There is viritually no risk of pirates between Australia and Timor.

Darwin to Kupang is a common route for yachtsmen from Australia, some are open to having company.

Australia discourages traffic between the two countries to stem the immigration problem of all those undesirables trying to sneak in. I know only one Aussie that makes regular monthly runs between Kupang and Darwin hauling seafood.

He takes on paying passangers, Check with Edwin at the Lavalon Bar in Kupang for more info. Also check dutchpickle.com website for info on West Timor and travelling with vehicles to Oz.

Travelling between the islands in Indonesia by boat and ferry can be a great experience.

Despite what travel warnings say the Indonesians are a really cool people and I have enjoyed their company on trips to Alor, Maluku, Halamahara, Papua, Sulawasi, Java, Solar, Flores, Bali, blah blah blah and have nothing but good things to say about these people. (but I will admit to getting my bags taken on a Pelni off Sorong.)

Go for it!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wonderment
post Feb 14 2009, 08:28 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 269723

Sorry to gate crash but i was wondering if anyone knew of a consistent way of getting a car from Indonesia to Australia by boat?

Any help would be greatly appreciated x
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kaitlynt
post May 12 2010, 07:22 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 992181

hey did you actually make it???

i really want to do this - it is something i have kept in the back of my mind for ages now and finally this july i am back in australia and free to do it.

Anyone else want to travel from australia boathitching to asia?
i am doing this for both adventure and environmental reasons... plus i just hate to do things teh easy and conventional way it just always seems so boring (and expensive)

tell us your story of what happened so we have an idea of what to expect!!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dgmaze
post May 25 2010, 09:38 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 1025621

Yeah, did you actually make it?

I want to do the same thing as well. I've heard (though not from terribly reliable sources) that you can go to Darwin and start asking around. Some people above said that anyway.

@kaitlynt: If you're seriously after a travelpal I do want to boathitch to asia - for the same reasons. I've just finished riding my bicycle and camping all the way along the coast form Sydney to South Australia. adventure & environment (& cheap) all the way!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
pgworld
post Sep 27 2010, 07:25 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 1352421

We hope to do this in Nov. 2010. As soon as it's done we will let you all know how it went.

This is our travel website: www.pgworld.altervista.org

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
paulfrank
post Oct 5 2010, 02:33 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 1371631

QUOTE(pgworld @ Sep 27 2010, 07:25 AM) *

We hope to do this in Nov. 2010. As soon as it's done we will let you all know how it went.

hey there i am totally down for going to indo from cairns or from darwin , i think the weather is really rough in november , also what kind of paper work do you need to do ,

does any one know if going thru papua to indonesia is very dangerous and do people drive you thru , its a pretty far walk
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
paulfrank
post Oct 5 2010, 02:46 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 1371631

QUOTE(paulfrank @ Oct 5 2010, 02:33 AM) *

QUOTE(pgworld @ Sep 27 2010, 07:25 AM) *

hey there i am totally down for going to indo from cairns or from darwin , i think the weather is really rough in november , also what kind of paper work do you need to do ,

does any one know if going thru papua to indonesia is very dangerous and do people drive you thru , its a pretty far walk

ahh i really hate flying , can anyone elighten me on how to get to indo or png on a boat out of here ?????????????????
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ozookim
post Oct 28 2010, 11:03 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 1431241

So, is there any way to go by boat?
I'm planning to go to Southeast Asia next year.
I'm going to Australia this year Dec..

I'm gonna travel by bicycle.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
susannaduffy
post Oct 7 2012, 05:33 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 3302353

I went by boat from Perth, private yacht, in 1985. I would NOT use boat travel unless the owners and crew were all friends of mine.

The waters' aren't safe and the authorities, both Australian and Indonesian, don't encourage random people moving between their countries.

Take a plane, it's about $600 from Darwin to Jakarta although how you would get to Darwin is another adventurous, and possibly risky, story in itself.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 04:12 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Australia

Adelaide Hotels
Airlie Beach Hotels
Albany Hotels
Albury Hotels
Alice Springs Hotels
Apollo Bay Hotels
Ballarat Hotels
Bendigo Hotels
Brisbane Hotels
Broadbeach Hotels
Broome Hotels
Byron Bay Hotels
Cairns Hotels
Caloundra Hotels
Canberra Hotels
Coffs Harbour Hotels
Coolangatta Hotels
Darwin Hotels
Hervey Bay Hotels
Hobart Hotels
Launceston Hotels
Mackay Hotels
Main Beach Hotels
Margaret River Hotels
Maroochydore Hotels
Melbourne Hotels
Mooloolaba Hotels
Newcastle Hotels
Noosa Hotels
Palm Cove Hotels
Perth Hotels
Pokolbin Hotels
Port Douglas Hotels
Port Macquarie Hotels
Rockhampton Hotels
St Kilda Hotels
Surfers Paradise Hotels
Sydney Hotels
Toowoomba Hotels
Townsville Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.