Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> An Underated Region in France
gyl.johnson
post Apr 11 2008, 08:50 AM
Post #1

Nomad

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 89210

When most people think of France, they think of Paris. Paris is great by the way but there is much more to France than the capital city and I might add there are much less expensive places to visit in France as well. The diverse region of Languedoc-Rousillion in the south is an excellent place to visit. We could call it the "poor man's" south of France. Languedoc starts from the French/Spanish border and stretches all the way up along the coast to the next department of Provence. Here, you can visit castles, go wine tasting and in the fall even help out with grape havesting. If its the beach you want, there's plenty of it without the Cote d'Azur cost. There is plenty of opportunity for hiking and biking as well. Top cities to visit would be Montpellier, Nimes, Carcasonne and Perpignan. The folks down here are super friendly and because this region is so close to Spain, we find a strong Spanish influence which involves bullfighting, sangria and yes of course paella. Spending time down here could help out your travel budget as well as you're close enough to pop off to Barcelona.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Apr 11 2008, 09:00 AM
Post #2

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

I was reading a book a few weeks back and it went into loads of history about the Cathars and the Languedoc region. I'd personally never heard of it before but it does sound very appealing to me now.

I also saw a programme on tv yesterday which featured Albi Cathedral and that looked very impressive as well.

I know Ryanair do loads of cheapo flights to the region so I'm gonna have to look into it!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Apr 11 2008, 10:15 AM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Good tips Gyl, very inspiring! It makes me think of the book The Sun Also Rises...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
tedandjane
post Apr 16 2008, 05:56 AM
Post #4

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 60845
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Couldn't agree more... I have always been amazed that a number of tourists think of Nice as only an airport, some of the best holidays I've ever had have been in Nice and Monaco.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Apr 16 2008, 09:14 AM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

I love the beach in Nice. That sound of the waves crashing into the smooth pebbles is so unique. I've never heard anything like it ever again in my entire life!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Apr 16 2008, 02:23 PM
Post #6

Jet Setter

Member No.: 60100

Have a look at this place aswell, if anyone's around Perpignan/Catalonia... I went there last summer, had no idea it even existed...

Orges d'Illes dur Tete
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kitkatgo
post Apr 30 2008, 05:33 PM
Post #7

Navigator

Member No.: 13816

My family and I will be going to Barcelona this November and we will be renting a car and going through Andorra and on up into the Languedoc. We are really looking forward to it! My husband and I both have read books lately (different ones) that revolved around Carcasonne and it sounds so interesting!

It should be a fun adventure...

--------------------
~Kit
California Local Expert

Visit my travel blogs:
http://www.travelpod.com/members/kitkatgo
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Globetrotters
post Feb 8 2009, 06:37 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 420

We are planning our next great adventure and I am hoping and believing it will be somewhere in the South of France. Marseille or Provence are my two choices. Anita wants to visit Paris. We are planning on 7 to 10 days. So far we've found a couple of flights that would get us into Marseille. Paris seems a bit more challenging for the time we wish to travel. Nevertheless, we've never been known to worry about that; somehow something always comes through.

So here are a few questions. What is it like during the month of April in the South of France? Weather, hotels and various forms of transportation available. Any suggestions on where to stay to get max experience while in either location. Any suggestions on what we should plan to see and do while there. I guess we are looking for some great ideas from our fellow travelers and those of you who know a little bit about us "the Globetrotters" and our travels so far. If not take a look at our 11 travel journals. Of course, we will write about our experiences and this time with a little help from you guys maybe we will have a unique experience of a life time while visiting the South of France.

I'm looking forward to this one. As you may or may not know, April is the month I celebrate my birthday and I've tried to do a special trip somewhere in the world during this time. Last year, it was in Bermuda; year before that Montreal Canada and before that Rio. So let's see what will become of this year's travel experience.

Michael and Anita
The Globetrotters
http://www.travelpod.com/members/Globetrotters
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
gyl.johnson
post Feb 9 2009, 07:26 AM
Post #9

Nomad

Member No.: 89210

QUOTE(Globetrotters @ Feb 8 2009, 06:37 PM) *

We are planning our next great adventure and I am hoping and believing it will be somewhere in the South of France. Marseille or Provence are my two choices. Anita wants to visit Paris. We are planning on 7 to 10 days. So far we've found a couple of flights that would get us into Marseille. Paris seems a bit more challenging for the time we wish to travel. Nevertheless, we've never been known to worry about that; somehow something always comes through.

So here are a few questions. What is it like during the month of April in the South of France? Weather, hotels and various forms of transportation available. Any suggestions on where to stay to get max experience while in either location. Any suggestions on what we should plan to see and do while there. I guess we are looking for some great ideas from our fellow travelers and those of you who know a little bit about us "the Globetrotters" and our travels so far. If not take a look at our 11 travel journals. Of course, we will write about our experiences and this time with a little help from you guys maybe we will have a unique experience of a life time while visiting the South of France.

I'm looking forward to this one. As you may or may not know, April is the month I celebrate my birthday and I've tried to do a special trip somewhere in the world during this time. Last year, it was in Bermuda; year before that Montreal Canada and before that Rio. So let's see what will become of this year's travel experience.

Michael and Anita
The Globetrotters

April is one of those shoulder months like many parts of the world where the weather is hit or miss. One day could be warm, sunny and dry and he next could be rainy. Its a good time to travel to avoid the tourist crowds and prices in general will fall under the "low season" category.

I suggest you get out of Marseille as soon as you arrive. Consider staying for a few days in Aix en Provence. You can easily get a shuttle there from the Marseille airport. Aix is very touristy but for a reason, its drop dead gorgeous. From there I suggest renting a car and visiting some of the smaller towns. St Remy en Provence is a good one but this is an excellent region to explore on your own with a car and without a real plan.

There are countless opportunities for wine tasting, olive oil tasting (they do that often as well)
and going to the bullfights. Yes, in towns such as Arles, they are under the impression that they are Spanish and you can easily find sangria and paella.

For such a small area, Provence is a highly diversified region with something for everyone. Have fun exploring!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
coldoll
post Apr 1 2009, 01:33 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 154255

QUOTE(kitkatgo @ Apr 30 2008, 05:33 PM) *

My family and I will be going to Barcelona this November and we will be renting a car and going through Andorra and on up into the Languedoc. We are really looking forward to it! My husband and I both have read books lately (different ones) that revolved around Carcasonne and it sounds so interesting!

It should be a fun adventure...

We stayed in Badefols sur Dordogne 2 years ago for a week. This is a great area. Weather in April should be lovely, warm but not too hot to get around. We have booked a great 6 bed, 6 bathroom house in Sarlat for September. Did the booking through Gites.com. Really cheap.
Last time we also travelled extensively through both Spain and France and had no problems finding accommodation. In France go to the local tourist bureau and they will set you up for the cost of a local phone call. In Spain we simply fronted up to the local hotels and had an easy time of it. Cheap also. Food and wine cheap and good. Go for the fix. prix in France.
We found the so-called duty-free Andorrra was dearer for many things than Spain. If you need more information feel free to leave me a message.
Coldoll
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
madcaravanner
post Jun 21 2009, 12:07 PM
Post #11

Wayfarer

Member No.: 100015

We go here every year
Catalonia is our favourite spot since we got married and honeymooned in Argeles sur Tech We have taken our caravan to Canet twice already and will be there next week
I find Collioure a really picturesques town and the main reason we prefer there -- the people are so much more friendly and the costs are so much less

Personally we prefer to stay away from large cities and their money magnets

--------------------
Regards
Graham & Stephanie
website here
The Itinerary 2012

in planning but only 1 definite

September ALL OF IT
Out via P&O Ferry
France - couple of Stop overs probably one in Canet
on into
Spain - a Good Campsite around Benidorm
return via
Twin Lakes - France of course

Cheap Travel Exspurts
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ashleyrenee
post Jun 21 2009, 01:24 PM
Post #12

Wayfarer

Member No.: 281195

Hello,
I love this post by the way, I am the type of person who really wants to see the backdoor sides of these countries. I am very excited to be heading over to Europe. My friends mom owns a house in a small village outside of Castelnaudary, in southern France. I have heard of a few wine and cheese places to visit but can't find any solid information on them. Any help on a book or website to visit?

--------------------
Best Wishes,
Ashley

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.- St. Augustine.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mghosh
post Aug 21 2009, 03:28 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 295404

I would agree that it is an untounched region. As much as I love Paris, nothing beats a summer holiday in the South of France. I went to Langudoc last year to take advantage of the beaches in Montpellier. The best place I visited though was Uzs, when I go on holiday I love a place full of history and Uzs really was, with it's ancient narrow streets and medieval architecture and of course the famous Pont du Gard.

There are loads of things to discover in the region, I recommend it.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
madcaravanner
post Aug 21 2009, 05:35 AM
Post #14

Wayfarer

Member No.: 100015

QUOTE(mghosh @ Aug 21 2009, 03:28 AM) *

I would agree that it is an untounched region.

As much as I love Paris,

nothing beats a summer holiday in the South of France.

I love the fact that this region hasn't been found by hoards of loud travelling drunkards

personally haven't been to Paris and have no desire to as I prefer the quiet little places I travel often to a place in Pitou Charente too, whilst that has a number of resident Brits it's not what would be classed as a normal tourist destination so it's REAL backyard France

--------------------
Regards
Graham & Stephanie
website here
The Itinerary 2012

in planning but only 1 definite

September ALL OF IT
Out via P&O Ferry
France - couple of Stop overs probably one in Canet
on into
Spain - a Good Campsite around Benidorm
return via
Twin Lakes - France of course

Cheap Travel Exspurts
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 11:35 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.