Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> International Women's Day in the Former Soviet Union, Reflections
ahamill
post Mar 7 2010, 12:36 AM
Post #1

Wayfarer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 67301

Mondy, March 8, 2010, is International Women's Day. The FSU nations I have regular travel to and communication with (Georgia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Russia) all take this day very seriously and it comes with a national day off from work. Early last week, one of our office logistics guys went around and took a contribution from all the men of 30,000 Soums (about 15 dollars), which is a hefty sum relatively speaking! On Friday, a big party was thrown for the women including pink roses handed out to each and a ballot drawing that led them to a gift bag filled with chocolates and other goodies. A speech was made by the office managers thanking them for their work and their "beautiful smiling faces".
This is much the same process I observed last year. It's good, they enjoy it, and I think it's interesting that it doesn't seem to have a place in American business. Frankly, I don't ever recall even hearing of International Women's Day before coming to work here! Some Western folks may sometimes seem to look down their noses at the record for women's rights/civil rights in some of these locations, so it seems sort of ironic. Not incompatible but ironic. I've heard that the origin of the elevated status of this holiday was the Soviet Union... only back in the day when the Soviet Union existed and was administering these types of public systems did International Women's Day become celebrated here. Now that the Soviet Union is gone, Women's Day has remained.
The Soviet Union also celebrated, throughout its lands and countries, a holiday called Defenders' Day (or Army Day), which was celebrated similarly with a day off and lots of speeches and so forth. Well, in Uzbekistan, this day has changed to 'Men's Day'.
But 'Men's Day' doesn't come with a day off from work! :-)

--------------------
Sleepless in Tashkent
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 09:55 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.