Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> driving through mexico alone????
eric784
post Mar 1 2010, 12:06 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 795231
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I am considering making a road trip to Belize and Honduras and would prefer to drive. Everyone i talk to says its crazy. I would a be driving alone with my dog.a little information about myself i am a 26 year old white male and know just enough spanish to get me by in california. I know Mexico isn't the safest place to travel right now but was wondering if anyone has any recent experience with this and has any recommendations. How dangerous will it actually be?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
traermc
post Mar 7 2010, 12:18 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 811931

QUOTE(eric784 @ Mar 1 2010, 12:06 AM) *

I am considering making a road trip to Belize and Honduras and would prefer to drive. Everyone i talk to says its crazy. I would a be driving alone with my dog.a little information about myself i am a 26 year old white male and know just enough spanish to get me by in california. I know Mexico isn't the safest place to travel right now but was wondering if anyone has any recent experience with this and has any recommendations. How dangerous will it actually be?

Hey Erik,

My name is Trae. I'm hardly 21 years old and am a female driving from Canada to Mexico City also alone, also with my dog, leaving in one week. Yes, it's not safest trip in the world, but if you've got some street smarts and do your research, you'll be fine. The violence is generally compressed into specific areas so you just read up on where to avoid, for example, Cuidad Juarez border cross/Chihuahua. If you want to talk, hit me up.
Cheers

Trae
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
joelmunoz1968
post Mar 8 2010, 09:49 AM
Post #3

Drifter

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 281562

Hi Eric,

I've driven from San Diego all the way down to the Guatamalen border, over to the Yucatan, and into Belize and then back home to San Diego twice over the past 18 months and had an amazing trip. Not one problem. Stick to the toll roads, which are great if not a little pricey, and you will be just fine. With all the media sensatonalism over the cartel wars and swine flu, you're sure to get some fantastic deals down there and the people are never more happy to have you. Check out my blog if you want some ideas for stops.

Good luck and spread the word about your trip to stop the travel ignorance about Mexico!

Joel
jmunoz@buenavidaadventures.com
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kruzen123
post Aug 16 2010, 07:46 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1238091

Hey! I am making the drive next month with some buddies, starting from San Francisco and ending in Costa Rica, or possibly Panama. Ive talked to many people who have made the trek, and although Mexico and parts of Central America are/can be sketchy right now, its not nearly as dangerous as the media portrays. There is tons of good advice, primarily not driving at night or in known troubled areas. Go for it! Keep me informed, as im definitely interested in meeting or traveling with others along the way. Cheers!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nreid004
post Sep 5 2010, 07:25 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1294831

QUOTE(eric784 @ Mar 1 2010, 01:06 AM) *

Eric,

Did you make the trip? My girlfriend and I are taking off from Nicaragua and heading through Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala and Mexico. Going to follow the Mex200 all the way, unless we hear otherwise.

How did your drive go and what route did you take? Any recommendations with respect to border crossings, places to avoid, places to hit, etc?

Thanks,

Nic
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nreid004
post Sep 5 2010, 07:27 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1294831

QUOTE(traermc @ Mar 7 2010, 01:18 AM) *

Hey Erik,

My name is Trae. I'm hardly 21 years old and am a female driving from Canada to Mexico City also alone, also with my dog, leaving in one week. Yes, it's not safest trip in the world, but if you've got some street smarts and do your research, you'll be fine. The violence is generally compressed into specific areas so you just read up on where to avoid, for example, Cuidad Juarez border cross/Chihuahua. If you want to talk, hit me up.
Cheers

Trae

Trae,

Did you make the trip? My girlfriend and I are taking off from Nicaragua and heading through Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala and Mexico. Going to follow the Mex200 all the way, unless we hear otherwise.

How did your drive go and what route did you take? Any recommendations with respect to border crossings, places to avoid, places to hit, etc?

Thanks,

Nic
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
patrickfontes
post May 10 2011, 02:11 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1949541

Hello,
I am planning on driving from California down to Guadalajara next month. I would like to hear back from you all who drove last year and what your experiences were like.

Patrick
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
progreen
post Jul 28 2011, 10:03 PM
Post #8

Wanderer

Member No.: 2150961

Yes, I too am planning to drive from California through Mexico January of 2012. Going to Panama with my dog. I'll be watching for more posts and advice. I'm 54, know Spanish and am not stupid, nor intimidated by sensational scare stories (yes, i know they do happen). Please post pertinent info like best toll roads, places to stay safely, places to avoid AND if there are others that want to share the drive or travel in a caravan.
Joe
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
taiward
post Aug 9 2011, 03:25 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 2178873

i once thought I was capable of making this drive through Mexico alone, was I mistaken. Once I crossed the border in Tijuana the police robbed me of all my cash. I was naive and continued onward towards Costa Rica. The first night driving through Mexico I was on the toll road and was forced to be pulled over by a black truck. Once stopped I looked in my rear view mirror and saw several men jumping out the back, I then pressed on the gas, and as I sped off I heard gun shots going off. I was being shot at. I raced through the night and came across a town on the beach, el dorado. I thought this would be a safe place to stay for the night. was I wrong. upon getting a hotel room there, i had the feeling i was being followed. i locked myself in my room and refused to step outside until day light. I almost made it through the night. at about 4 aM i woke up to pounding on my door. I was terrified. i hid under my bed. the door was kicked in and a large mexican man entered and proceeded to go through my belongings. he took most of my jewelry and my phone. leaving my wallet for some reason. after he left i ran with just my wallet and my keys to my car, only to see that it had been broken into in the parking lot. I got in the car and drove. i made it to puerto vallarta, a tourist town. i found an embassy there and reported all the experiences I have had. they had no sympathy for me and sent me along to the next town manzanillo. this is where my vacation ended. i was grabbing food debating on getting on a plane and just leaving my car in mexico and giving up. i was in the bathroom about to go pay for my food when someone robbed me of my purse in the LADIES ROOM. i was crying, and i walked to my car about to turn around and go back to puerto vallarta where the embassy would at least recognize me, and the store owner thought i was ditching out on paying for my food. trying to explain my wallet was stolen, i failed. he called the policia, and i was put in jail for $3 worth the food. I was in jail for 4 MONTHS!!!! until my parents realized i hadn't made it to costa rica and they made phone calls and found out my last sighting my at the puerto vallarta embassy. i dont know how, but they found me in the jail i was in. they paid $30,000 to get me out of prison. Mexican jail was the worst. i was raped and beaten what seemed like everyday and I will never be able to remove this memory from my mind for the rest of my life. I am going to have to go to a psychologist the rest of my life and try to pry this terrible experience from my memory. so next time you think about doing anything in Mexico, read this story please. I wish people weren't as care-free and someone had warned me about how dangerous it was, even taking the "safe toll road". So good luck everyone, and I suggest going to Spain if you want any type of spanish experience.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
progreen
post Aug 9 2011, 08:05 PM
Post #10

Wanderer

bullS*$#.

QUOTE(taiward @ Aug 9 2011, 03:25 PM) *

i once thought I was capable of making this drive through Mexico alone, was I mistaken. Once I crossed the border in Tijuana the police robbed me of all my cash. I was naive and continued onward towards Costa Rica. The first night driving through Mexico I was on the toll road and was forced to be pulled over by a black truck. Once stopped I looked in my rear view mirror and saw several men jumping out the back, I then pressed on the gas, and as I sped off I heard gun shots going off. I was being shot at. I raced through the night and came across a town on the beach, el dorado. I thought this would be a safe place to stay for the night. was I wrong. upon getting a hotel room there, i had the feeling i was being followed. i locked myself in my room and refused to step outside until day light. I almost made it through the night. at about 4 aM i woke up to pounding on my door. I was terrified. i hid under my bed. the door was kicked in and a large mexican man entered and proceeded to go through my belongings. he took most of my jewelry and my phone. leaving my wallet for some reason. after he left i ran with just my wallet and my keys to my car, only to see that it had been broken into in the parking lot. I got in the car and drove. i made it to puerto vallarta, a tourist town. i found an embassy there and reported all the experiences I have had. they had no sympathy for me and sent me along to the next town manzanillo. this is where my vacation ended. i was grabbing food debating on getting on a plane and just leaving my car in mexico and giving up. i was in the bathroom about to go pay for my food when someone robbed me of my purse in the LADIES ROOM. i was crying, and i walked to my car about to turn around and go back to puerto vallarta where the embassy would at least recognize me, and the store owner thought i was ditching out on paying for my food. trying to explain my wallet was stolen, i failed. he called the policia, and i was put in jail for $3 worth the food. I was in jail for 4 MONTHS!!!! until my parents realized i hadn't made it to costa rica and they made phone calls and found out my last sighting my at the puerto vallarta embassy. i dont know how, but they found me in the jail i was in. they paid $30,000 to get me out of prison. Mexican jail was the worst. i was raped and beaten what seemed like everyday and I will never be able to remove this memory from my mind for the rest of my life. I am going to have to go to a psychologist the rest of my life and try to pry this terrible experience from my memory. so next time you think about doing anything in Mexico, read this story please. I wish people weren't as care-free and someone had warned me about how dangerous it was, even taking the "safe toll road". So good luck everyone, and I suggest going to Spain if you want any type of spanish experience.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
joelmunoz1968
post Aug 9 2011, 08:47 PM
Post #11

Drifter

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 281562

QUOTE(progreen @ Aug 9 2011, 08:05 PM) *

bullS*$#.

Another troll. Get a life.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
taiward
post Aug 10 2011, 08:12 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 2178873

QUOTE(joelmunoz1968 @ Aug 9 2011, 08:47 PM) *

QUOTE(progreen @ Aug 9 2011, 08:05 PM) *

bullS*$#.

Another troll. Get a life.

Hey kid, watch it, why don't you try driving through Mexico by yourself? You do it and tell me how your experience getting raped in a mexican prison every night. Twat.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
gizy21z
post Sep 27 2011, 01:13 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 2287173

I am also going to be traveling in Mexico, first flying to Guadalajara and then traveling to Queretaro and then up to cities near Monte Rey, since I will be driving a rental any advice?
Best roads to take? I was informed you get stop during by the government in check points, how do I truly know they are real mexican officers and not trying to scam me?
I look forward to your responses.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
progreen
post Sep 27 2011, 01:27 PM
Post #14

Wanderer

QUOTE(gizy21z @ Sep 27 2011, 01:13 PM) *

Screw those paranoid Americans who try to instill fear (its what we do here). Yes, LIFE is dangerous too. Go for it - but prepare yourself, be vigilant (not paranoid), no drugs, and be smart. So when are you driving there? I am going to drive through Mexico myself on my way to Panama in January 2012. Would be wise and fun to caravan through Mexico. I am one of two 54 year old white male Californians with fair to moderate Spanish and (one of us-me) has lots of Latin American experience. email me direct if you want at progreenery@gmail.com Lets share thoughts. Progreen

I am also going to be traveling in Mexico, first flying to Guadalajara and then traveling to Queretaro and then up to cities near Monte Rey, since I will be driving a rental any advice?
Best roads to take? I was informed you get stop during by the government in check points, how do I truly know they are real mexican officers and not trying to scam me?
I look forward to your responses.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
redwoodjungle
post Oct 10 2011, 06:32 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 2313513

I am looking into the idea of driving to Panama from California in the late spring or early summer of 2012 and was wondering if any of you have recently done the drive and can give me a 1st hand idea about what the conditions are in Mexico and Honduras, the two countries I am the most worried about? I would also be into doing a caravan if there are others out there that are planning a similar trip. Safe Travels All!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
progreen
post Oct 10 2011, 09:30 PM
Post #16

Wanderer

QUOTE(redwoodjungle @ Oct 10 2011, 06:32 PM) *

I am looking into the idea of driving to Panama from California in the late spring or early summer of 2012 and was wondering if any of you have recently done the drive and can give me a 1st hand idea about what the conditions are in Mexico and Honduras, the two countries I am the most worried about? I would also be into doing a caravan if there are others out there that are planning a similar trip. Safe Travels All!

Is this you, Charles? If not, email me at progreenery@gmail.com

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
redwoodjungle
post Oct 10 2011, 09:59 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 2313513

QUOTE(progreen @ Oct 10 2011, 09:30 PM) *

QUOTE(redwoodjungle @ Oct 10 2011, 06:32 PM) *

Is this you, Charles? If not, email me at progreenery@gmail.com

Yes This is me.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
justpeter
post Oct 14 2011, 12:23 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 2322973

Hello all, I'm driving from San Diego through baja then taking a ferry to the mainland and then down along the coast to to Costa Rica with my dog. Anyone feel like caravanning? Departting from San Diego mid-late December.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
thomascullin
post Oct 17 2011, 01:32 AM
Post #19

Drifter

Member No.: 2272023

sounds like a awesome plan ..
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
progreen
post Oct 17 2011, 09:04 AM
Post #20

Wanderer

QUOTE(justpeter @ Oct 14 2011, 12:23 PM) *

Hello all, I'm driving from San Diego through baja then taking a ferry to the mainland and then down along the coast to to Costa Rica with my dog. Anyone feel like caravanning? Departting from San Diego mid-late December.

Hi.
Would love to Caravan with you but why Baja? We are leaving around Jan. 20, 2012 entering at Nogales and traveling the Pacific coast all the way to Panama. (foreigners are leaving Costa Rica now...sooo yesteryear, but none-the-less beautiful...too expensive, overrun with gringos and retaliatory crime on the increase). Anyway you would consider our route then?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 06:41 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Mexico

Acapulco Hotels
Aguascalientes Hotels
Akumal Hotels
Cabo San Lucas Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Chihuahua Hotels
Ciudad Juarez Hotels
Cuernavaca Hotels
Guadalajara Hotels
Guanajuato Hotels
Hermosillo Hotels
Huatulco Hotels
La Paz Hotels
Leon Hotels
Manzanillo Hotels
Mazatlan Hotels
Merida Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Monterrey Hotels
Morelia Hotels
Nuevo Vallarta Hotels
Oaxaca Hotels
Playa Paraiso Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puebla Hotels
Puerto Aventuras Hotels
Puerto Morelos Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Queretaro Hotels
Saltillo Hotels
San Cristobal de las Casas Hotels
San Jose Del Cabo Hotels
San Luis Potosí Hotels
San Miguel de Allende Hotels
Tampico Hotels
Tijuana Hotels
Tulum Hotels
Veracruz Hotels
Villahermosa Hotels
Zihuatanejo Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.