Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> driving through mexico alone????
justpeter
post Oct 17 2011, 11:03 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 2322973

QUOTE(progreen @ Oct 17 2011, 10:04 AM) *

QUOTE(justpeter @ Oct 14 2011, 12:23 PM) *

Hello all, I'm driving from San Diego through baja then taking a ferry to the mainland and then down along the coast to to Costa Rica with my dog. Anyone feel like caravanning? Departting from San Diego mid-late December.

Hi.
Would love to Caravan with you but why Baja? We are leaving around Jan. 20, 2012 entering at Nogales and traveling the Pacific coast all the way to Panama. (foreigners are leaving Costa Rica now...sooo yesteryear, but none-the-less beautiful...too expensive, overrun with gringos and retaliatory crime on the increase). Anyway you would consider our route then?

I might consider an alternate route. Basically chose baja because it seems to be the most mellow of northern borders. Jan. 20th huh? That'd give me an opportunity to go to busses by the bridge in January at lake havasu!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
redwoodjungle
post Oct 17 2011, 12:08 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 2313513

QUOTE(progreen @ Oct 17 2011, 09:04 AM) *

Hello all, I'm driving from San Diego through baja then taking a ferry to the mainland and then down along the coast to to Costa Rica with my dog. Anyone feel like caravanning? Departting from San Diego mid-late December.

Hi.
Would love to Caravan with you but why Baja? We are leaving around Jan. 20, 2012 entering at Nogales and traveling the Pacific coast all the way to Panama. (foreigners are leaving Costa Rica now...sooo yesteryear, but none-the-less beautiful...too expensive, overrun with gringos and retaliatory crime on the increase). Anyway you would consider our route then?

I would like to take issue with your information about Costa Rica. I have many friends in Cosat Rica that i talk with alot and I have not heard about an exodus of forginers or more crime than usual and certainly less than can be expected in other cental american countries. The reason Costa Rica is more expensive is because it is a safe place to invest. You did get the beautiful part right though.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
progreen
post Nov 9 2011, 11:59 PM
Post #23

Wanderer

Member No.: 2150961

QUOTE(redwoodjungle @ Oct 10 2011, 09:59 PM) *

QUOTE(progreen @ Oct 10 2011, 09:30 PM) *

QUOTE(redwoodjungle @ Oct 10 2011, 06:32 PM) *

I am looking into the idea of driving to Panama from California in the late spring or early summer of 2012 and was wondering if any of you have recently done the drive and can give me a 1st hand idea about what the conditions are in Mexico and Honduras, the two countries I am the most worried about? I would also be into doing a caravan if there are others out there that are planning a similar trip. Safe Travels All!

Is this you, Charles? If not, email me at progreenery@gmail.com

Yes This is me.

Hey buddy, any way you'd be ready in mid January? We are leaving Jan. 17. Me, my dog and a buddy. Also may have another caravaning with us. Email me at progreenery@gmail.com and let me know if you're in. It'll be fun. 12-15 days with just a couple of one day breaks. At least, that's our present plan. Open, flexible, informed and prudent.
Joe
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
stumblejourney
post Dec 21 2011, 02:56 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 2478653

QUOTE(progreen @ Jul 28 2011, 10:03 PM) *

Yes, I too am planning to drive from California through Mexico January of 2012. Going to Panama with my dog. I'll be watching for more posts and advice. I'm 54, know Spanish and am not stupid, nor intimidated by sensational scare stories (yes, i know they do happen). Please post pertinent info like best toll roads, places to stay safely, places to avoid AND if there are others that want to share the drive or travel in a caravan.
Joe

Hey Joe, we (my husband and I) are planning a trip down through Mexico as well, going to Costa Rica. Been doing a lot of searching on line. Everything from DON'T GO to GO FOR IT and everything in between. We have lived in Costa Rica for many years, and drove down there and back a few times, but that was 10 years ago, and things change... We are coming from Florida, maybe we can hook up, with you and others who would enjoy the adventure!!!

Pura Vida, Donna and George
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
progreen
post Dec 21 2011, 03:31 PM
Post #25

Wanderer

QUOTE(stumblejourney @ Dec 21 2011, 02:56 PM) *

QUOTE(progreen @ Jul 28 2011, 10:03 PM) *

Yes, I too am planning to drive from California through Mexico January of 2012. Going to Panama with my dog. I'll be watching for more posts and advice. I'm 54, know Spanish and am not stupid, nor intimidated by sensational scare stories (yes, i know they do happen). Please post pertinent info like best toll roads, places to stay safely, places to avoid AND if there are others that want to share the drive or travel in a caravan.
Joe

Hey Joe, we (my husband and I) are planning a trip down through Mexico as well, going to Costa Rica. Been doing a lot of searching on line. Everything from DON'T GO to GO FOR IT and everything in between. We have lived in Costa Rica for many years, and drove down there and back a few times, but that was 10 years ago, and things change... We are coming from Florida, maybe we can hook up, with you and others who would enjoy the adventure!!!

Pura Vida, Donna and George

YES! Si! Por Supuesto! I am currently enjoying the holiday season in Hawaii, returning to California Jan 11. My friend, my dog and i plan to head toward Nogales about Jan. 17. My cell on the mainland U.S. is 805-712-3452. Let's stay connected through email until mid January and then speak about details. You sound like like-minded participants. Looking forward to safe, sane and fun adventures.
Joe
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
robfannin
post Jan 4 2012, 05:27 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 2558313

Hi.

Hello, my wife and I are also planning our drive from Nogales to Panama. We are traveling with our dog and are working all the necessary paperwork now. If all goes according to plan we will be leaving at the end of the month (sooner if we can get everything done earlier). If timing works out, maybe we can caravan with you?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
justpeter
post Jan 4 2012, 05:39 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(robfannin @ Jan 4 2012, 06:27 PM) *

Hi.

Hello, my wife and I are also planning our drive from Nogales to Panama. We are traveling with our dog and are working all the necessary paperwork now. If all goes according to plan we will be leaving at the end of the month (sooner if we can get everything done earlier). If timing works out, maybe we can caravan with you?

I'm in La Paz at the moment. May go to the mainland but there are no available ferries for more than a week.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
justpeter
post Jan 4 2012, 05:39 PM
Post #28

Hi.

I'm in La Paz at the moment. May go to the mainland but there are no available ferries for more than a week.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
robfannin
post Jan 4 2012, 05:52 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 2558313

QUOTE(justpeter @ Jan 4 2012, 05:39 PM) *

Hi.

Thank you for the reply. Sorry you are stuck in La Paz. Hopefully a ferry will become available soon. Either way, sounds like you are a bit ahead of us. We are still working on the paperwork for our dog. Probably 3 weeks off.

Safe travels. Rob
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
justpeter
post Jan 5 2012, 04:11 PM
Post #30

QUOTE(robfannin @ Jan 4 2012, 06:52 PM) *

Hi.

Thank you for the reply. Sorry you are stuck in La Paz. Hopefully a ferry will become available soon. Either way, sounds like you are a bit ahead of us. We are still working on the paperwork for our dog. Probably 3 weeks off.

Safe travels. Rob

No worries Rob, La Paz is an awesome town! Me and my dog are loving it.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
progreen
post Jan 6 2012, 04:16 PM
Post #31

Wanderer

Hi.

I too, am sorry. However, our journey begins approx. Jan. 17, crossing into Mexico at Nogales perhaps the morning of the 18th. Taking the Pacific route, we may yet meet up along the way. Stay in touch via email - progreenery@gmail.com
Joe (Grady -the dog, and Jeff)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
modeeper
post Aug 14 2012, 10:31 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 3173023

Hello everyone. Name's Mo and I live in Dallas. I want to drive to La Paz BCS and the obvious best route is through northern Mexico to Guymas and ferry across. I also have a dog.
I am bilingual and lived in Latin Amer for 20 years. I have been in Asia for the past 10 years.

If anyone could help me with these questions I'd be more than thankful.

On the ferry website it states a dog must be kept in his kennel the whole trip. Anyone have experience with this?

If I drive to San Diego (1400 miles) then to LP it'd be harsh, especially with the climate as it is these days. Let's assume all the border areas are not the best choice for motorists. But we do have to cross one, right :-). It seems all the states on the travel advisory are south of me. How far south of the border is far enough to ease some of the stress? I'm not so concerned I'll be beheaded by Chapo himself but that I'll have a lot of boy's toys in my car, like electric guitars and amplifiers, two computers and lots of mechanic's tools. My dog is also quite valuable.

I should know how to answer this but I honestly don't .. all things being equal is it better to attend to searches and such by speaking illiterate Gringo or good Mexican Spanish?

Never had a dog in Mexico but I fear for his life. He (he's small @15 pounds) isn't fixed and that'd kinda target him for conflict with those Mexican dogs and they ARE tuff as guts!

My car is 20 years old. There used to be visa norms that were more liberal for older cars .. still in tact? As in leaving a deposit at the frontier.

Is it better to get a visa at the Consulate in Dallas or LA than the typical cross the border issue. Last I was there you could buy months to add on. Is That still in tact?

BTW, I have tried to get answers through the Embassy website but have had little response in either language.

Thanks for reading.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
progreen
post Aug 14 2012, 11:55 AM
Post #33

Wanderer

QUOTE(modeeper @ Aug 14 2012, 10:31 AM) *

Hello everyone. Name's Mo and I live in Dallas. I want to drive to La Paz BCS and the obvious best route is through northern Mexico to Guymas and ferry across. I also have a dog.
I am bilingual and lived in Latin Amer for 20 years. I have been in Asia for the past 10 years.

If anyone could help me with these questions I'd be more than thankful.

On the ferry website it states a dog must be kept in his kennel the whole trip. Anyone have experience with this?

If I drive to San Diego (1400 miles) then to LP it'd be harsh, especially with the climate as it is these days. Let's assume all the border areas are not the best choice for motorists. But we do have to cross one, right :-). It seems all the states on the travel advisory are south of me. How far south of the border is far enough to ease some of the stress? I'm not so concerned I'll be beheaded by Chapo himself but that I'll have a lot of boy's toys in my car, like electric guitars and amplifiers, two computers and lots of mechanic's tools. My dog is also quite valuable.

I should know how to answer this but I honestly don't .. all things being equal is it better to attend to searches and such by speaking illiterate Gringo or good Mexican Spanish?

Never had a dog in Mexico but I fear for his life. He (he's small @15 pounds) isn't fixed and that'd kinda target him for conflict with those Mexican dogs and they ARE tuff as guts!

My car is 20 years old. There used to be visa norms that were more liberal for older cars .. still in tact? As in leaving a deposit at the frontier.

Is it better to get a visa at the Consulate in Dallas or LA than the typical cross the border issue. Last I was there you could buy months to add on. Is That still in tact?

BTW, I have tried to get answers through the Embassy website but have had little response in either language.

Thanks for reading.

We entered at Lukeville, AZ/Sonoyta, Mx. It was great. Nobody there but us. Yes, you have to leave a deposit for the car. I believe it is for 3 months (?), but extendable. I would avoid the ferry. No problem with the dog (unless yours is aggressive...in which case, leave it home).
My personal way to deal with shakedowns/bribes is to speak my best spanish (don't be a phoney idiot gringo) and GET IN THEIR FACE. i call them on it, asking to see their superior, or not moving until they get tired of seeing me. But i live life dangerously (in some people's minds).
The potential police stops/shakedowns WILL be valued by your toys. I suggest keeping them out of plain sight. As a musician, i had those you mentioned plus tools, a generator, etc. below a platform in the back of the truck...but that did not stop the bored police IN ACUPULCO (we thought we were out of the risky north-but IT'S EVERYWHERE). They wanted to fine me $150 for a 35 year old rototiller! It was the most visible item so they seized upon IT to make their propina point. I suggested they TAKE the damned thing. After a heated argument, they lowered the "fine" to $75 and escorted us out of Acupulco.
Don't bother with a consulate. Get your visa at the border.
Good luck.
joe
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
modeeper
post Aug 14 2012, 12:40 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 3173023

Thanks Joe. I see Lukeville, AZ on the map but see no Mexican roads except those going to Tijuana or south into the interior. If that's the case it makes more sense to drive that distance in the USA and not Mexico. There is that crossing at Otay, might be a little easier.

Yeah, it's pretty hard to hide things in your car. There is always an excuse to bite you for whatever you have with you and it's their job to find stuff. One time I had a laptop crossing Tijuana .. too bad that computer isn't a desktop, senior, it's a fine to bring a laptop into Mexico. Six months later I crossed with a desktop and guess what they told me ..
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
egeefay
post Sep 5 2012, 03:29 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 35729

We want to drive our suv to cancun mid. October 2012. Where can we hook up with other people driving in that direction
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
julianco
post Dec 4 2012, 08:12 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 3429673

edit: oops double post
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
julianco
post Dec 4 2012, 08:12 PM
Post #37

I too am thinking of heading south this January. It's a year later and I'm brand new here, but any word from any of these folks on how their trips were?
Eegeefay: how was or is your trip?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
progreen
post Dec 4 2012, 11:05 PM
Post #38

Wanderer

QUOTE(julianco @ Dec 4 2012, 08:12 PM) *

I too am thinking of heading south this January. It's a year later and I'm brand new here, but any word from any of these folks on how their trips were?
Eegeefay: how was or is your trip?

---------------------------------------------------
Attaching a mail to my other road travelling friends who we caravaned with on the way down last January. This mail is the report of my solo return in September. Too lazy to write a separate mail. Contact me directly for particular questions @ progreenery@gmail.com. Meanwhile...LIVE IT!
----------------------------------------
Greetings fellow travelers.

I am writing this primarily to assist Rob, Elizabeth and Max's upcoming adventure, but also to serve as a log for my own memory and for others who might be interested in the tales of our trip, September 14 to September 25, 2012; Pocri, Panama to Paso Robles, Ca.

I have color coded areas of particular concern. Green - indicating a good experience, worth following if presented; Orange to warn of inconvenience, some hassle or warning; and Red to forewarn of pending trouble, risk or excessive hassle/cost. Hope it helps.

Also, this record is meant to coincide with (an attached) the costs spreadsheet which will highlight mileage, fuel, distances, border crossings and hotels. It was created in "Works" as opposed to "Excel", so i hope it opens for you.

The Route:
I chose much the same route we used in driving down to Panama last January, but varied it mostly to avoid some of the less desirable border crossing between Nicaragua/Honduras and Honduras/Guatemala. Based upon the sage advise of my traveling friends, Rick/Kathy who suggested (rightly proven) that the smaller crossings tend to be less hectic, inexpensive and quicker to cross. This route change eliminated El Salvador, which we could agree, was a pleasant enough country during our trip down and taken to avoid much of Honduras. But, perhaps because of that latter point, that most 'transmigrante' travelers do the same, it seemed a target for opportunistic Honduran border officials and their apparent partnered 'tramitadores' ("helpers") who we found generally more stressful and costly than they were worth.
One other reminder regarding 'the route'. Remember the 'old highway' we took after leaving Leon, Nic.? Where we went straight instead of to the left, trying to avoid Managua and found ourselves on a moonscape called a road? With pot holes large enough to swallow a Volkswagen every few feet? Ended up turning back? Well, i found it again, accidentally, coming back the other way. And before realizing it was one in the same, i covered enough distance to warrant NOT turning back. The absolute WORSE 25 miles/2 hours! ever traveled. Brutal, dusty and exhausting! Go through Managua.
Also, getting through Guatemala City was an expected nightmare. Having previewed that Megalopolis with Jeff, going down (and having some guidance by phone from his contact), i kew it would be confusing. So, thinking ahead, i coerced a truck driver at a fueling station to guide me through as he was headed for the far part of the city and could signal me where to veer off toward Esquintla and points southwest of the city. Worked out great!
Take note at what i considered the longest stretch - opposing the indications on the map, it went on and on and on...; Tapachula to Puerto Escondido! (Also the northern stretches are endless, but due to lack of scenery/trees)

Border Crossings:
Panama-Costa Rica: Paso Canoas. Nearly unavoidable - especially with a vehicle and a dog. Noisy, chaotic, dirty. Tramitadores in your face. My usual there has been Joel. He speaks good English and is straight forward and calm. However, expect to pay him at least $20. I successfully evaded the tramitadore hounding me this time, stating that i knew the ropes. The procedure (as you may know) is to 1-A) it was suggested to check the dog OUT of Panama, but this (holiday) day the vet office (off to the right BEFORE arriving at the border) was closed, so i ignored it - no problem, 1) check out of Panama with migracion, 2) go to right aduanas window presenting passport and existing permiso, they will then have you hand the paperwork to the inspector, he inspects the vehicle, signs off on it and you return to the same window to get the permiso cancelled. Then to C.R. where you check in with migracion, then (simultaneously to save time) find the agricultural guy (Fito Sanitario) to obtain and pay for the pet permiso ($8.00) and get the required insurance across the highway from the migracion office. Then proceed to the C. R. aduanas office for the lengthy process of forms and ultimate inspection.
Costa Rica-Nicaragua: Penas (intheass) Blancas.Not much choice here either. The tramitadore rules once again. I arrived on Sunday, which was used as an excuse, i believe, that the 'main' aduanas official was not on duty, nor was the Fito Sanitario guy for the dog exit. The tramitadore ("Charley"-i'm not proud of) convinced me that he could get another official to take care of both issues (for an extra cost). Nicaragua was better, but not enjoyable. Ask them about the two exploded/mangled semi trailers. An interesting story that occurred the week prior to my crossing.
Nicaragua-Honduras: Las Manos. Nicaragua exit was inexpensive and fairly fast, but still paid a tramitadore $10, Honduras entry was time consuming (mostly because of the slow aduanas lady doing the car permiso) and paid a uniformed tramitadore kid another $10. Was entertained by an interesting fellow who made 'spot-on' imitations of various animals. His best and favorite were a large dog, a small dog, a burro and a cow. But also did a rooster, pig and more. Worth watching and listening to during the wait! There was a fee (250 limpiras?) for the dog permit, but of little importance to them as far as health cert., etc.
Honduras-Guatemala: Copan Ruinas/El Florido. The easiest and best of all. Maybe because there were NO tramitadores? Very nice official in Honduras Aduanas (early morning!) completed the permiso cancellation and the migracion official stamped me out in 10 minutes. Both stated that there was nothing to do regarding the dog. Entry to Guatemala was equally calm, but a bit more lengthy as the aduanas official seemed new - asking questions of the others throughout the ordeal. He inspected the truck quickly, asked about the dog and paperwork from Honduras and, when i told him that they told me there was nothing to complete, he too waved the dog on. Great!
Guatemala-Mexico: Ciudad Hidalgo. This is where we crossed in January. Exiting Guatemala was a breeze, but i got there too early and had to wait for them to open. Once the aduanas official did arrive, he was one of the friendliest and calm people i've met yet. Entering Mexico was not quite so simple. An agriculture interrogation and inspection led to the confiscation of the rest of Grady's eggs. Not such a bad thing since, after covering some very rough roads, the carton - long since soaked and useless - served little protection and the remaining eggs had been raw, scrambled for many, many miles. I let them pick through the fruit and egg mess, lightening my load and cleaning out my cooler. Then came that notorious Mexican permiso process. Had to find the highway-side aduanas stop in Tapachula (remember where we were first flagged down, but did not stop until the actual border - miles away - and ended up having to RETURN to Tapachula for that sticker and deposit cancellation?). Had a difficult time finding the place. It's on the highway OUTSIDE of Tapachula as you head north...you can't miss it. It is called "Viva Mexico - Banjercito". Important. Have your copies readied for all crossings.
Mexico-U.S.A.: Sonoyta (Sonoita)/Lukeville. By far the quickest and simplest of all border crossings...with a catch. Waved through Mexico without a blink of an eye! Simple, short questioning at the U.S. side and in less than five minutes we were sailing home, smiling! Then it hit me. The permiso cancellation? S*$#, they have my $200+ deposit! I turned back within 2 miles, explained to the U.S. who seemed sympathetic and let me pass to the Mexico aduanas. (time of day: about 4:30 p.m.) "Migracion" told me that Sonoyta was too small a crossing to have a Banjercito there (but, as i thought later, isn't that where we GOT our permiso when we entered Mexico in January?), that i could not get my permiso cancelled and had to head down the border (U.S. side - later to realize that staying on the highway on the Mexico side would have saved an hour! - Thanks, Grady/G.P.S.!) to Yuma and the "San Luis" border crossing to accomplish this. Determined to complete Mexico THAT day, i headed on. Arrived at San Luis about 9:00 p.m., entered Mexico explaining the issue and was adequately dealt within an easy 20 minutes or so. Cool. Then had to get in a huge line to enter the U.S. again, was pre-interviewed by the b!$@% from hell who kept asking me about my story (returning to the border, having already crossed hours earlier, coming from Panama over land, what i was "doing" in Panama, etc.). Then said i was "different" and sent me to inspection, where Grady and were told to wait in a building while they spent TWO HOURS tearing apart the truck, looking for God knows what and finding nothing. I was pissed!! I was exhausted!!! Let go at 11:00 p.m., i had to drive at least another 2 hours to clear the border area and seek overnight refuge in a truck stop in El Centro, Ca. - 15 hours on the road that day excluding the border fiasco and two 30-minute stops to rest. Never again! At this time, i am fully concious of the whine and smell of a DRY TRANSMISSION crying out for attention...now at midnight in the desert of California!
If you choose this route through Sonoyta/Lukeville (and i recommend that you do), the Mexican Aduanas pointed out that one should stop at the Banjercito in Caborca to cancel the permiso there before arriving to Sonoyta. I was given a post-it with a more descriptive name on it but have not yet located it. When i do, i'll pass it on. It might be known as "Viva Mexico, Banjercito" as well.

Other (unimportant) observations:
Saw a cow next to the highway, on a sloping shoulder, tethered by its back leg downhill. It (as most ruminants do) believed the grass was tastier the further up the hill and closest to the highway. So there it stood on three legs, stretched out with its nose nearly on the highway and rear leg jutting outward, while cars/trucks zoomed by. Guess you'd have had to been there.
Amazing to see brand new, state-of-the-art highways in Guatemala with all the latest in paving, signage, lighting, drainage; traffic taking advantage of the higher posted speeds and yet still...cattle come streaming across the lanes at free will. Odd sight.
As a book i have states quite accurately, "speed traps are common in Panama, Costa Rica and Nicaragua." We know about Panama (have been nailed in the past). Found out about Costa Rica...got nailed for 100 km/hr in a 60! and "fined" $40. Another stop in Nicaragua had this pathetic officer trying to find something on me. He turned away with license and passport in hand mumbling something about 'falsified' permiso or something, stopped in his tracks within 10 feet, came back and said i could go. But before i could drive off, the sad man simply said (in Spanish, of course), "could you give me some money...for gas for my (Police!) motorcycle? I'm poor!" To which i simply said, no. That i too needed the gas to get to the U.S. It is interesting how these guys often appear out of nowhere; seemingly from the bushes, with a radar in hand and no vehicle in sight!
Must have seen 10 military or police check points in Honduras, a couple in Guatemala and a dozen or so within first 150 miles of the borders of Mexico, but almost never was stopped. Nearly always waved through or ignored! They seemed more focused on large trucks.
As i approached Acupulco, i suddenly realized that i had forgotten to buy (on-line) the required automobile insurance! Not wanting an excuse for the the corrupt police nor an accident (now that i was conscious of the fact!), i bought it for the remaining days in Mexico, the moment i could find a WiFi connection. Don't do the same! Interesting that i was never asked for it.
Pulled over to nap in Honduras along side the highway under the shade of a tree. When i awoke and crawled out of the truck, i noticed an older woman (mid '60's), her grown son and her grand-daughter (maybe 12 years old) walking down the highway in the heat of the mid-day sun. The man was pushing a wheel barrow. I proceeded to feed Grady ignoring them until they stopped to rest under the same tree. I greeted them and acknowledged the heat. The woman spoke up, agreeing and pointed out her wares to me. She was selling "loofahs" 4 foot long 'bath sponges/scrubbers" originating from a cucumber related vine. The equivalent of one dollar, i bought one and made a friend...and her day. Very nice experience.
I dare you to count the topes in Mexico. Must be over 400! I only yelled aloud, "Oh S*$#" about ten times. Not bad considering how well most are hidden by shade and unmarked. Every town has at least 3. You just barely get up some speed and here comes another town!
In general, i believe people are friendlier the more north you go (until Mexico). Also, more litter conscious, and environmentally aware. Saw evidence of this in small crowds where even children excused themselves if they bumped into you, many signs promoting litter control, beautification of parks and natural areas and discouraging/prohibiting hunting and deforestation. Mostly in Honduras and Guatemala, but also in Nicaragua and Mexico. (and, of course, Costa Rica). When will Panama wake up?
Enough with my rambling. If you have questions, write to me. Good luck in your travels, hope this helps and please do let me know when you head out and, stay in touch as possible.

Cheers and best wishes,
Joe and Grady
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
julianco
post Dec 6 2012, 02:45 AM
Post #39

Wow! Thanks so much. From reading this, it feels like you wrote about the way down as well. I'd love to read that too if you've got it!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ciakidd
post Mar 7 2013, 06:11 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 3649253

QUOTE(traermc @ Mar 7 2010, 12:18 AM) *

QUOTE(eric784 @ Mar 1 2010, 12:06 AM) *

I am considering making a road trip to Belize and Honduras and would prefer to drive. Everyone i talk to says its crazy. I would a be driving alone with my dog.a little information about myself i am a 26 year old white male and know just enough spanish to get me by in california. I know Mexico isn't the safest place to travel right now but was wondering if anyone has any recent experience with this and has any recommendations. How dangerous will it actually be?

Hey Erik,

My name is Trae. I'm hardly 21 years old and am a female driving from Canada to Mexico City also alone, also with my dog, leaving in one week. Yes, it's not safest trip in the world, but if you've got some street smarts and do your research, you'll be fine. The violence is generally compressed into specific areas so you just read up on where to avoid, for example, Cuidad Juarez border cross/Chihuahua. If you want to talk, hit me up.
Cheers

Trae

hey, trae, i am as well headed to mexico in the coming month, can you offer some advice,
cheers
nathan
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 02:53 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Mexico

Acapulco Hotels
Aguascalientes Hotels
Akumal Hotels
Cabo San Lucas Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Chihuahua Hotels
Ciudad Juarez Hotels
Cuernavaca Hotels
Guadalajara Hotels
Guanajuato Hotels
Hermosillo Hotels
Huatulco Hotels
La Paz Hotels
Leon Hotels
Manzanillo Hotels
Mazatlan Hotels
Merida Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Monterrey Hotels
Morelia Hotels
Nuevo Vallarta Hotels
Oaxaca Hotels
Playa Paraiso Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puebla Hotels
Puerto Aventuras Hotels
Puerto Morelos Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Queretaro Hotels
Saltillo Hotels
San Cristobal de las Casas Hotels
San Jose Del Cabo Hotels
San Luis Potosí Hotels
San Miguel de Allende Hotels
Tampico Hotels
Tijuana Hotels
Tulum Hotels
Veracruz Hotels
Villahermosa Hotels
Zihuatanejo Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.