Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> No milk in Uzbekistan, The mystery of the disappearing milk
ahamill
post Feb 21 2010, 06:06 AM
Post #1

Wayfarer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 67301

Pasteurized milk is boxed or bagged (the packages they're sold in) at a factory near Tashkent; this supplier provides most, if not all, of the pasteurized homogenized milk. Milk is also delivered as fresh whole milk in big open bottles by sellers who will come door to door - but that milk needs to be boiled at home (home pasteurization!).
So I have depended on the boxes or bags of milk for the last two years without a second thought - - until almost 3 weeks ago, my local minimarkets didn't have any. Next day, same story. And the next. They didn't know why, couldn't tell me, just that they should be getting more soon.
Nothing in the news...
After a week, it became a topic of conversation in the office: everyone, everywhere, was having trouble finding pasteurized homogenized milk! But no one knew why.
About 9 days into the 'drought' it was circulated privately that there'd been a contamination issue at the plant and this had interrupted production. No milk while they are correcting the problem and making sure the products are safe.

No news. Nothing official. And in fact these are unconfirmed rumors.

I come from a place where this type of interruption is uncommon but it happens, and when it does, people generally acknowledge the inconvenience but are HAPPY that the mechanisms that we all assume are in place to protect us ARE DOING THEIR JOB, and that this is the cost of living in a society that protects its consumers with laws and quality assurance measures. In Chicago, during my 6 years there, at least once every other year I remember a beach getting closed because of some sort of increase above normal concentrations of bacteria - the city took daily samples and, when the water became a bit too highly populated by bacteria, they'd close the beach until the levels came down. People grumbled, but WHO WOULD CHOOSE THE ALTERNATIVE?!?! No one.

So I say, "Hey, GOOD JOB catching the bad milk, thank you for protecting us, don't be ashamed - crow about it! GOOD JOB!"

P.S.: any idea when we can expect milk in the stores again? :-)

--------------------
Sleepless in Tashkent
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
corinneconley
post Feb 21 2010, 11:41 PM
Post #2

Expeditionist

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 638491

Good point :-). I find that people want to be involved in the process when something isn't going the way they want it to and miss how much is being done for them!

--------------------
Recent Trips:
New Trails: Buffalo National River

Upcoming Trips:
Oceanside, California (August)
Las Vegas, Nevada (October)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dzasta
post Apr 14 2010, 01:13 AM
Post #3

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 124909

QUOTE(corinneconley @ Feb 21 2010, 11:41 PM) *

Good point :-). I find that people want to be involved in the process when something isn't going the way they want it to and miss how much is being done for them!

I had milk in my coffee in Khiva this morning so problem must be fixed.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 11:56 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.