Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> DO NOT VISIT GAZA
Barrett
post Jan 7 2006, 12:57 AM
Post #1

Nomad

Group: Members
Member No.: 423
Nominate me as a Local Expert

In my considered opinion I do not think any traveller should consider visiting Gaza right now. There is a rash of kidnappings going on, the Palestinian election is making things super-wonky there, no one is in control, and with Sharon down for the count its more volatile than ever. Everyone who is going there right now has armed guards, even those who normally eschew such protection.
Anyone else have any info they would like to share on this?

I am all for taking travel to the edge but not so far that you fall off.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Caro!
post Jul 1 2006, 10:52 PM
Post #2

World Traveler

Member No.: 550

Barret, you may be able to help me, I'm aware about the conflict between Israle and Palestine, But I'm not sure if Palestine is a territory or it is a country(do I make sence?)
Caro!

--------------------
Check out my videos and pics!!

The pictures I will proudly show to my offspring

Whatever Lola wants...Lola gets!!!

Happiness is available to anybody, so please help yourself!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jul 1 2006, 11:50 PM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 124

Hi Caro!

I know very very little but from what I understand it's a conflict of territory over historic and religious grounds.

Basically, the historical 'state' of Palestine occupies land where many Jews feel religion justifies the existence of their own state. It's also highly complex of course..

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Caro!
post Jul 2 2006, 12:05 PM
Post #4

World Traveler

Hi Scott,
Thanks, but I still have some questions. Is there such a thing as palestinian citizens? Or they are citizens from Israel?
Caro!

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jessica_CDN
post Jul 4 2006, 01:37 PM
Post #5

Commuter

Member No.: 519

Caro,

Your questions are extremely contentious! Palestine isn't recognized as a country although recent talks are focusing around that very issue. That's why the leadership of Palestine (the general geographic area) is refered to as the Palestinian Authority, and not "President or Prime Minister etc. of Palestine".

Over the years, the people who reside in the geographic area of Palestine have taken steps to create the institutions that would lead to nation-hood.

A lot of the territory that makes up Israel was created from a region of land known as Palestine. Now, the area that is refered to as Palestine is the land that Israel does not occupy. I'd link you to a map, but you can google that - just be aware that every map is different and there are political connotations to every map!

Let me know if you have any more questions - I can try to answer them in as neutral a way as possible!

Jessica

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Caro!
post Jul 4 2006, 06:32 PM
Post #6

World Traveler

Hi Jess,
Thank you, it is clear now. But still, people who live there are citizens of where?
Caro!

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jessica_CDN
post Jul 4 2006, 07:46 PM
Post #7

Commuter

Member No.: 519

Caro,

I think most people would consider them to be refugees and not necessarily citizens of anywhere....hard to say really. Following the 1993 Oslo accords, the Palestinian Authority does give out passports.

Many Palestinians are citizens of Egypt, Jordan or other countries in the region.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
itai_matos
post Oct 25 2009, 09:22 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 457191

I came here to say exactly what the original poster said.
Gaza can be an amazing place to visit, but try staying away right now, there's tension since the elections are up and coming, so there are possibilities of kidnapping, and political violence.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jimoore71
post Nov 24 2009, 10:06 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 532501

Yeah
lawless is the word- poor gaza- the jewish judge samson ruled it at one time and they were disputing then too
Israel's silly concession of ripping their people up and pulling out of there did nothing for peace and instead allowed the terrorists to arm themselves and attack israel from an even closer point
As I understand it, From an historical viewpoint the Romans named the area palestine [from much earlier coquerers the philistines-instead of its original Judea Samaria ] a couple of thousand years ago because the Jews who , who lived there since coming into the land as a result of the arahamic covenant from egypt were such trouble makers and could not be disbursed no matter who took over their land-
from the assyrians, babylonians, greeks, arab, turks , french, english - the romans even ploughed Jerusalem under and renamed it Aola Capitalina but there has been a jewish presence there for more than 3500 years and up to May 1948 when all their neighbours tried to wipe them out.
The Iranians should take a lesson from History and back off lol
...and imo there will never be a two state solution because my bible says all the land there from egypt up to beyond damascus and east to the euphrates is Israel's
So the parties are fighting gods plan and it will never work out
The us should take warning and know that -but all the previous regimes didnt learn that either and they are not players anymore
Jim

palestinain area
QUOTE(itai_matos @ Oct 25 2009, 09:22 AM) *

I came here to say exactly what the original poster said.
Gaza can be an amazing place to visit, but try staying away right now, there's tension since the elections are up and coming, so there are possibilities of kidnapping, and political violence.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 11:08 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Israel

Acre Hotels
Arad Hotels
Aravot Hajarden Hotels
Ashdod Hotels
Ashkelon Hotels
Bat Yam Hotels
Beersheba Hotels
Caesarea Hotels
Dor Hotels
Eilat Hotels
Ein Bokek Hotels
Ein Gedi Hotels
Ein Kerem Hotels
Ginosar Hotels
Hafetz Hayim Hotels
Haifa Hotels
Herzlia Hotels
Hevel Eilot Hotels
Hof Carmel Hotels
Jaffa Hotels
Jerusalem Hotels
Jordan Valley Hotels
Kfar Blum Hotels
Kfar Giladi Hotels
Manot Hotels
Mizpe Ramon Hotels
Nahariya Hotels
Nazareth Hotels
Nes Ammim Hotels
Netanya Hotels
Neve Ativ Hotels
Ramat Gan Hotels
Ramot Menashe Hotels
Rosh Pina Hotels
Safed Hotels
Shoresh Hotels
Tel Aviv Hotels
Tiberias Hotels
Yesod Hamaala Hotels
Zichron Yaakov Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.