Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Volunteer, How to get involved.
tgeale
post Feb 18 2010, 02:28 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 762801
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hello,

I'm a 23 year old male from Australia.

I will be traveling around Africa this year and am interested in volunteer work, although through travel agents I just feel like they are trying to sell me their programs for their own commision and on many websites there are high fees and my trip is on a low budget.

I would love to volunteer in a local community in anyway that I can. One of my friends did this although she just went into places when there asking if they needed a hand. Helping out in schools and orphanages.

Is this a good idea? I'm very torn.

Anything you can help me with would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mtui
post Feb 18 2010, 08:23 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 763661

hi my name is justin mtui,im from tanzania!what you saying is really true that this travel agents aims is focused on money making&its all a business thing!not only you i have heard from so many of my friends&people i meet about the issue that they want to volunteer somewhere in africa&this travel agents makes it hard for them&in the end they give up because they cant afford!thats quite sad&painful.
i&some two friends of mine decided to start an ngo which will focus on helping such people!so we have this hostel in arusha where you only pay for accommodation which is reasonable amount&we have different volunteer replacements from teaching,construction,helping at ophanage&plently more!so you decide where you want to volunteer.so you are welcomed&if you a have any questions feel free to ask!check out our site(http://sunstrides.org/?q=content/town-hostel).
wish you luck!
cheers

QUOTE(tgeale @ Feb 18 2010, 02:28 AM) *

Hello,

I'm a 23 year old male from Australia.

I will be traveling around Africa this year and am interested in volunteer work, although through travel agents I just feel like they are trying to sell me their programs for their own commision and on many websites there are high fees and my trip is on a low budget.

I would love to volunteer in a local community in anyway that I can. One of my friends did this although she just went into places when there asking if they needed a hand. Helping out in schools and orphanages.

Is this a good idea? I'm very torn.

Anything you can help me with would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
elsawhite
post Jul 16 2010, 12:16 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1153541

Blessed are those who have good hearts just like yours. There are many government accredited agencies and they even have websites that could help you get the volunteer work that you're looking for. Don't stop looking. Uganda still needs a lot of volunteers. Good luck!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jaynewick
post Aug 3 2010, 08:05 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1121901

Hi. I'm Jayne and just started a one year engagement with an organization in southwest Uganda, Uganda Rural Community Support Foundation (URCSF). Here is their website: URCSF

I also started a blog that will give you first hand my 10 days of experience. I came in from the USA. My blog

I am so very happy and supportive of this NGO. I know you would not be disappointed to come here.

Let me know if I can answer any further questions for you.

Regards, Jayne
jaynewick@gmail.com

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 12:22 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.