Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Travelling in Vietnam, Should we book before we go?
katmac
post Mar 18 2008, 05:40 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 155996

We are going to Vietnam in a couple of weeks and haven't booked anything! With 2 adults and 3 children I am starting to wonder if this is a bit unwise. I have been told that accommodation is very easy to book once there - but have concerns that as there are 5 of us it may be a bit harder. We also would like to spend some time in the beautiful resorts so am not sure if we should book now or hope for the best when we get there.

I was about to book a flight from Saigon to Hanoi but just read that it's cheaper and pretty easy to book a couple of days in advance once there. Anyone have any opinions on that?

The rest of our travel will probably be on overnight trains. Seems best to just book that there as well? What do you think? What are soft beds and hard beds?

Any advice happily accepted! Thanks

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Mar 18 2008, 09:22 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

If you are worried there won't be room for you, you should book your hotel ahead of time. If you are not, don't and you will figure something out. I think you can apply this rule to pretty much everything in life...

As for specific details in Vietnam, I can't help you there, but I can point you to some informative/entertaining travel blogs:

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Mar 18 2008, 09:37 AM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

I was about to book a flight from Saigon to Hanoi but just read that it's cheaper and pretty easy to book a couple of days in advance once there. Anyone have any opinions on that?

Don't worry. You will definitely find something. It may require slightly more looking around for five, but not necessarily, and you will certainly find accommodations. Where are you planning to visit during your trip?

Train travel can be booked there as well no worries. I didn't travel overnight on the train but do check out this link for some helpful advice Seat61

I would personally prefer to book there than do it from home. Plus, you're not really traveling in a peak period either.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
katmac
post Mar 18 2008, 07:09 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Mar 18 2008, 09:22 AM) *

If you are worried there won't be room for you, you should book your hotel ahead of time. If you are not, don't and you will figure something out. I think you can apply this rule to pretty much everything in life...

As for specific details in Vietnam, I can't help you there, but I can point you to some informative/entertaining travel blogs:

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
katmac
post Mar 18 2008, 07:19 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(wakingdream @ Mar 18 2008, 09:37 AM) *

Don't worry. You will definitely find something. It may require slightly more looking around for five, but not necessarily, and you will certainly find accommodations. Where are you planning to visit during your trip?

Train travel can be booked there as well no worries. I didn't travel overnight on the train but do check out this link for some helpful advice Seat61

I would personally prefer to book there than do it from home. Plus, you're not really traveling in a peak period either.

Thanks for your help. We fly into Saigon and plan to fly up to Hanoi. Do Halong Bay, then train/bus to Hoi An, train/bus to Mui Ne Beach, train/bus back to Saigon to fly home. I'm now pretty comfortable not booking before going for accommodation and train/bus travel, but am really unsure about flight for Saigon to Hanoi - especially for 5 people. Any further advice greatfully received! Thanks again .
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Mar 18 2008, 10:22 PM
Post #6

Navigator

Member No.: 98

Hi - I agree that you can get rooms when you are there and then once in Ho Chi Minh City, you can book the rest of your trip thru local travel agents if you wish.

The flight - I am not sure. Depending on how time stressed you are - I'd try to do it there - it'll be cheaper. If you have to have an extra day in Ho Chi Minh, I am sure you'll find things to do.

But if you are tight on time and have plenty of money - maybe book it from home.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Mar 19 2008, 07:57 AM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

But if you are tight on time and have plenty of money - maybe book it from home

Paul's right. It just depends on how flexible you are with time. You shouldn't have a problem getting flights from there but with 5, it may not be exactly when you want it, or need it. if you're booking from there a few days ahead or more I think you should be fine but am with Paul it's impossible to be sure.

Hope that helps smile.gif Ask away if you have any more questions!

Have a wonderful time time with your family. Vietnam is a beautiful country.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelparadissa
post May 12 2008, 03:48 AM
Post #8

Wanderer

Member No.: 181166

The earlier you book your trip the easier it becomes when you get here. The closer to your departure, the more expensive it becomes when booking services. For more information regarding things that you should do before your travel in Indochina, have a look at www.paradissa.com or contact us at son@paradissa.net. Enjoy your trip, enjoy Vietnam.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lovevalley
post Jul 14 2010, 02:50 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 979471

If you would like to visit Vietnam, you should book everything online. It is better than you arrange by yourself. You can book hotel, or tour online on many website. I one time booked the tour Halong Bay and Sapa only with 90$ for 2 days 1 night deluxe boat. But it is really wonderful trip. My family enjoyed so much. So you can book the tour in www.vietnamtravelcity.com
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lovevalley
post Jul 14 2010, 02:50 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 979471

If you would like to visit Vietnam, you should book everything online. It is better than you arrange by yourself. You can book hotel, or tour online on many website. I one time booked the tour Halong Bay and Sapa only with 90$ for 2 days 1 night deluxe boat. But it is really wonderful trip. My family enjoyed so much. So you can book the tour in www.vietnamtravelcity.com
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nipitiri
post Dec 8 2010, 12:43 PM
Post #11

Drifter

Member No.: 21826

There are some Vietnamese travel agents commenting, I see... In travelfish.org the posts coming from Vietnam are marked to make people aware that they may be touts and shouldn't be taken 100% seriously.

As for the booking problem, then I have been traveling in Vietnam and in other SE Asian countries and never booked anything except the flight there and back home. Never had any problems in finding a hotel or tour or transport. In Vietnam booking is only necessary during Tet (next year it will be on 02.03).
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dim11972
post Jan 2 2011, 03:14 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 1594101

You should book the hotel first. When you arrive, you walk around to check the rates for another programs to get the best rates.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jamesdsilva
post Mar 2 2011, 05:32 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 1772591

you should prepare all things before going to vietnam because u have 3 children so please dont take any kinds of risk so it will be better for you & for your family.........good luck for your safe journey......smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ohmyheo
post Mar 10 2011, 02:29 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 1796271

QUOTE(katmac @ Mar 18 2008, 05:40 AM) *

We are going to Vietnam in a couple of weeks and haven't booked anything! With 2 adults and 3 children I am starting to wonder if this is a bit unwise. I have been told that accommodation is very easy to book once there - but have concerns that as there are 5 of us it may be a bit harder. We also would like to spend some time in the beautiful resorts so am not sure if we should book now or hope for the best when we get there.

The rest of our travel will probably be on overnight trains. Seems best to just book that there as well? What do you think? What are soft beds and hard beds?

It's essential for you to book a tour package for your family so that you will not waste time and money for troubles you will meet. A tour package will cover all the things for you and you can spare time for joy and relax.

Contact us directly for more detailed information
yahoo nick: ffantasyxiii, phone: (84-8) 35166 983 - Fax: (84-8) 35166 984
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lucyluxy14
post Sep 22 2011, 08:36 PM
Post #15

Wanderer

Member No.: 2245993

QUOTE(Paul @ Mar 18 2008, 10:22 PM) *

Hi - I agree that you can get rooms when you are there and then once in Ho Chi Minh City, you can book the rest of your trip thru local travel agents if you wish.

Paul's right. Saigon seems to be a comfortable place to get a room, the price is up to quality of room you reserved. So it's better if you search for a 4 or 5 star hotels.

Also, when travelling Saigon, that's a pity if you dont take a trip go around and sightseeing at floating market - one of the most famous destination to discover... there fresh fruit! OMG You will really love it, I swear.

Anyway, have a good plan! air_kiss.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
toloan
post Mar 27 2012, 04:50 AM
Post #16

Wanderer

Member No.: 2762143

Oh, you can go sapa and halong are the two most beautiful places in northern Vietnam.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
toloan
post Mar 27 2012, 04:50 AM
Post #17

Wanderer

Member No.: 2762143

Oh, you can go sapa and halong are the two most beautiful places in northern Vietnam.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sandy_beach
post Nov 12 2012, 09:18 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 3379383

Hi,

I think that you should book your hotel first. I had a trip in Vietnam last month, it was really a wonderful trip. I visited Hanoi, Sapa and the other places such as Nha Trang, Mui Ne and Phu Quoc beaches, the lanscapes are very beautiful.

Thanks to the travel agency Checkin Vietnam, I found the hotels with very raisonable prices, good services and also interesting tours.

If you are interested in it, you can visit their website www.checkinvietnam.com

Have a nice trip in Vietnam!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shiba
post Nov 13 2012, 05:04 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 3381403

Aww yes you're right sandy, I found the great and beautiful Hotels on the cheap with Checkin Vietnam.
Otherwise, you choose a good destination! You'll appreciate the country wink.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
maryjame
post Jan 10 2013, 03:23 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 3509513

QUOTE(katmac @ Mar 18 2008, 05:40 AM) *

You should book room first, in high season (Nov to Mar) beautiful resorts usually full room.
Book flight Saigon - Hanoi or Hanoi - Saigon easily, so if you book early, the price will be cheaper.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 12:44 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Vietnam

Ben Tre Hotels
Buon Ma Thuot Hotels
Can Tho Hotels
Cao Lahn Hotels
Cat Ba Hotels
Chau Doc Hotels
Da Nang Hotels
Dalat Hotels
Dien Bien Phu Hotels
Dong Ha Hotels
Dong Hoi Hotels
Ha Tien Hotels
Haiphong Hotels
Halong Bay Hotels
Hanoi Hotels
Ho Chi Minh City Hotels
Hoi An Hotels
Hue Hotels
Khanh Hai Hotels
Kontum Hotels
Lai Chau Hotels
Lao Cai Hotels
Long Hai Hotels
Mui Ne Hotels
My Tho Hotels
Nha Trang Hotels
Ninh Binh Hotels
Ninh Phuoc Hotels
Phan Rang-Thap Cham Hotels
Phan Thiet Hotels
Quang Ngai Hotels
Quy Nhon Hotels
Rach Gia Hotels
Sam Son Hotels
Sapa Hotels
Soc Trang Hotels
Tuyen Quang Hotels
Vinh Long Hotels
Vung Tau Hotels
Yen Bai Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.