Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Outrage at kangaroo cull
introducinlyric
post Mar 16 2008, 06:27 PM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 56605

JAPAN is using the slaughter of hundreds of eastern grey kangaroos in Canberra to undermine Australia's anti-whaling crusade.

Japanese television and radio yesterday covered a small protest over the culling of as many as 500 kangaroos in the northern suburb of Belconnen.

Tokyo Broadcasting System reporter Hiroki Iijima said Japanese people would regard the kangaroo cull as hypocritical.

"It's a sad thing. Kangaroos are Australia's national icon, and 400 kangaroos are going to be killed by the Government,'' he said.

The cull of Australia's national emblem, which has been supported by Environment Minister Peter Garrett, has been approved to protect native grassland in the ACT.

Some opponents of the cull, however, insist it is really about making the land available for a luxury property development.

Wildlife Protection Association of Australia president Pat O'Brien backed Japan, saying the international media focus on the cull would embarrass the Federal Government.

"Nobody would seriously think that Australia has any right to criticise Japan for its whaling while we are killing three and a half million kangaroos every year for dog food,'' he said.

The cull was also criticised by animal activists including the British group Viva, which has the support of celebrity rock stars such as Sir Paul McCartney and Chrissie Hynde.

"Paul McCartney made a comment about kangaroo culling, and it's an international story now,'' Iijima said.

"Some Japanese viewers would think it's hypocritical. The story will air on the main television and national radio networks.''

Wildlife protection groups argue the kangaroos should be relocated rather than slaughtered, but the ACT Government has refused an export permit, claiming relocating kangaroos is inhumane.

Former Neighbours star Fiona Corke, who travelled from Melbourne to join yesterday's protest, said Mr Garrett was also being hypocritical in his commitment to protecting whales but not kangaroos.

"Kangaroos are a protected species under the 1975 Wildlife Act,'' she said.

"It is hypocritical that Peter Garrett is running an anti-whaling campaign, and yet is allowing hundreds of kangaroos to be killed to make room for a housing development.''

Mr Garrett supported the culling of kangaroos, saying humane, properly administered programs were sometimes necessary.

"There's an immense difference between commercial, so-called 'scientific' whaling and Australia's scientific, sustainable and humane management of a non-threatened kangaroo, which has overpopulated an area, to save rare and threatened plants and animals on the site,'' he said last night.

--------------------
Do You Want The Truth or Something Beautiful?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Mar 17 2008, 01:50 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Oh my, what a mess...

I thought that kangaroos were some sort of menace, like deer and that people kill them off when there are too many because they would overpopulate and die anyway? I don't think we have that problem with whales, do we?

On Wikipedia, it says that there are no kangaroos (Macropus giganteus) on the endangered species list.
But, on another site, they are on some sort of other list, that says they are at "Lower Risk Least Concern" so they could just be threatened...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Mar 17 2008, 08:24 PM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Mar 17 2008, 01:50 PM) *

Oh my, what a mess...

I thought that kangaroos were some sort of menace, like deer and that people kill them off when there are too many because they would overpopulate and die anyway? I don't think we have that problem with whales, do we?

On Wikipedia, it says that there are no kangaroos (Macropus giganteus) on the endangered species list.
But, on another site, they are on some sort of other list, that says they are at "Lower Risk Least Concern" so they could just be threatened...

wikipedia can sometimes be rubbish as anyone who knows how to use the program can edit details (accurate and not) so i wouldnt concern myself too much with what it says as it has the tendency to have inaccuracies
the whale problem is in reference to the inhumane slaughterin that the japanese do and australia is on the case with them about it which is probably why they are trying to spotlight the kangaroo cull issue - but this isnt news for australians as kangaroo culling has gone on before

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Mar 18 2008, 08:56 AM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Well, what kind of whales are they killing in Japan, maybe the whales are a nuisance there like the kangaroos are in Australia?

I'm trying to figure out how you can compare the two situations...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Mar 18 2008, 08:24 PM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Mar 18 2008, 08:56 AM) *

Well, what kind of whales are they killing in Japan, maybe the whales are a nuisance there like the kangaroos are in Australia?

I'm trying to figure out how you can compare the two situations...

thats exactly the point the situations arent the same. the large problem is with japan whaling in australian waters this has become a big problem, i wouldve also thought you'd know about the whale slaughtering thats been taking place in japan from your google alerts, its made world news especially since Hayden Panettiere was over there to protest and now theres a warrant for her arrest with those who participated with her including australian actress Isabel Lucas. They hoist the whales and dolphins into the sky and drop them onto concrete , the impact killin them immediatley or they simply slit their throats and they bleed to death - there were horrifying pictures posted on the net of it and it made me sick. Australias really onto japan about this and japan sheding light onto the kangaroo cull is a ploy to take the focus away from the whale/dolphin issue in japan.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Mar 19 2008, 08:36 AM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

Yeah, that's what I thought, it doesn't seem that the situations compare...

I think they've been doing that for a while in Japan, haven't they?

These things are so tough, because when people are buying whale products someone will start a business killing whales to fill the demand...etc.etc.etc.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Mar 19 2008, 09:14 PM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Mar 19 2008, 08:36 AM) *

Yeah, that's what I thought, it doesn't seem that the situations compare...

I think they've been doing that for a while in Japan, haven't they?

These things are so tough, because when people are buying whale products someone will start a business killing whales to fill the demand...etc.etc.etc.

yes this is so true - but seeing it splashed across the news brought it to people's attention who previously might of not known about it or simply live the motto "igonrance is bliss" it is a case of catch 22 but its so inhumane its sickening and personally i think it should be stopped.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Mar 20 2008, 09:08 AM
Post #8

Rolling Stone

Yeah, it's pretty gross, but so are chicken farms...

What do they use the whales for? Eating? Medicine?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mataeka
post May 15 2008, 07:35 PM
Post #9

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 92543

I hate this whole whaling debacle!

I must add my two cents, having lived in Japan for the past year and being an aussie. I DONT agree with the whaling in international waters, but I have no issue with the actual whaling. I think part of the reason Australians have gotten really up in arms about this whole issue is because whale watching is a HUGE industry for tourism particularly in QLD.

But Honestly, Japan barely took notice in the news or otherwise of australias protests. I kinda find it unlikely that they've been publicly declaring and compairing Kangaroo culls over the media.

Most Japanese people I talked to in the middle region of Japan said they hated whale meat and didnt eat it much, but thats understandable - it's more of a northern Japan delacacy. I think it's still a bit of a mystery about where all the meat is going, or fat or whatever else they're taking from it etc. But yeah ... All I can say is dont believe the mass media on this one ... It's a big sensationalist story, and yeah it IS happening, but surely if there was any action ACTUALLY getting done there'd be way more about it in the Japanese media? When there's only been a random article or two.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post May 16 2008, 08:53 AM
Post #10

Rolling Stone

If people will pay enough for the meat, since you said it is a delicacy, according to the whalers, it doesn't matter what they do with the rest, as long as they are getting enough money to play for the boats and fishermen, etc. etc.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mataeka
post May 16 2008, 06:45 PM
Post #11

Drifter

I just did a bit of searchign on the net and obviously not that much of a delicacy ....

about $25 for Whale - 500g
but Horse meat costs Approx $10 more for 500g.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post May 17 2008, 07:21 PM
Post #12

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(mataeka @ May 16 2008, 06:45 PM) *

I just did a bit of searchign on the net and obviously not that much of a delicacy ....

about $25 for Whale - 500g
but Horse meat costs Approx $10 more for 500g.

horse meat....... sick.png

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post May 20 2008, 08:23 AM
Post #13

Rolling Stone

Hmmm... well then I'm not sure what they do with the rest of the whale after they take the meat.

Isn't whale blubber used for lamps and such? They probably sell that for fuel too. Then what's left over? Not really much.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mataeka
post May 20 2008, 08:30 AM
Post #14

Drifter

(raw) horse meat actually isnt that bad introducin wink.gif I learnt in my travels of Japan, never turn your nose up without at least giving it a try tongue.gif

the remaining meat is the main thing that tinges my curiosity, I DID hear that in some places around Japan they use it for the kids school lunches (unlike some other countries - aus for example you bring your own/buy your lunch - in Japan they get school supplied lunches in most cases. But that may only be in certain regions (as I said before, it's kinda more common in the northern regions of Japan) because the school I did a week internship in, they didnt eat any Whale, horribly untasty curry, but no whale there.

But back on topic - There was another HUGE kangaroo cull I believe today - they rounded all the roo's up and shot them. Lots of animal rights activists got right into it, calling the governments hypocritical etc.

*Shrugs* I can see why they did it, dunno about this certain place but I know there are places where the kangaroo numbers are just absurd. Far too many living in a small space of area. Makes me wonder if replacement into less populated areas isnt a viable option though?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post May 23 2008, 03:59 AM
Post #15

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(mataeka @ May 20 2008, 08:30 AM) *

But back on topic - There was another HUGE kangaroo cull I believe today - they rounded all the roo's up and shot them. Lots of animal rights activists got right into it, calling the governments hypocritical etc.

*Shrugs* I can see why they did it, dunno about this certain place but I know there are places where the kangaroo numbers are just absurd. Far too many living in a small space of area. Makes me wonder if replacement into less populated areas isnt a viable option though?

yes your right about this new "cull" taking place and its getting its fair share of media coverage with all the protesters and Aboriginals claiming land rights to save the roos. i dont quite know where i stand on the topic i feel that maybe they should just be relocated but the government complains this will cost too much $$$ yet they are spending over $80mil to throw this absurd world youth day so i dont know where anyones priorities are these days.....
its sad but i guess there isnt much anyone can do to stop it
as for the horse meat i just have never heard of it before and it sounds hmmmmm.....im not much of a meat eater so i guess im easily repulsed by such things

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mataeka
post May 23 2008, 04:43 AM
Post #16

Drifter

QUOTE(introducinlyric @ May 23 2008, 03:59 AM) *

yes your right about this new "cull" taking place and its getting its fair share of media coverage with all the protesters and Aboriginals claiming land rights to save the roos. i dont quite know where i stand on the topic i feel that maybe they should just be relocated but the government complains this will cost too much $$$ yet they are spending over $80 to throw this absurd world youth day so i dont know where anyones priorities are these days.....
its sad but i guess there isnt much anyone can do to stop it
as for the horse meat i just have never heard of it before and it sounds hmmmmm.....im not much of a meat eater so i guess im easily repulsed by such things

Ah fair enough. Its rather amusing how much saying you've eaten horse freaks people out, and yet how is a horse really different from a cow? The only real difference is the fact that we've started calling horses a pet.

Guess thats the same perception about dogs though which they eat in certain asian countries.

and Kangaroos for Australia smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post May 23 2008, 04:49 AM
Post #17

Rolling Stone

yeah the whole "imagery" that "eating dogs and eating horses" creates is ugh not one i particularly like...........

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post May 23 2008, 09:54 AM
Post #18

Rolling Stone

World Youth Day is kind of a big deal though, no? Doesn't the pope come to that or something?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post May 27 2008, 04:07 AM
Post #19

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(starlagurl @ May 23 2008, 09:54 AM) *

World Youth Day is kind of a big deal though, no? Doesn't the pope come to that or something?

yep roll out the $80 million dollar red carpet for the pope rolleyes.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post May 27 2008, 11:00 AM
Post #20

Rolling Stone

Hm...yeah, I guess you don't have to spend THAT much...We had it here in Toronto a few years ago and it required a lot of extra infrastructure and stuff...those Christian rock bands get pretty rowdy...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 07:47 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Australia

Adelaide Hotels
Airlie Beach Hotels
Albany Hotels
Albury Hotels
Alice Springs Hotels
Apollo Bay Hotels
Ballarat Hotels
Bendigo Hotels
Brisbane Hotels
Broadbeach Hotels
Broome Hotels
Byron Bay Hotels
Cairns Hotels
Caloundra Hotels
Canberra Hotels
Coffs Harbour Hotels
Coolangatta Hotels
Darwin Hotels
Hervey Bay Hotels
Hobart Hotels
Launceston Hotels
Mackay Hotels
Main Beach Hotels
Margaret River Hotels
Maroochydore Hotels
Melbourne Hotels
Mooloolaba Hotels
Newcastle Hotels
Noosa Hotels
Palm Cove Hotels
Perth Hotels
Pokolbin Hotels
Port Douglas Hotels
Port Macquarie Hotels
Rockhampton Hotels
St Kilda Hotels
Surfers Paradise Hotels
Sydney Hotels
Toowoomba Hotels
Townsville Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.