Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> China-Nepal, China-Nepal
paresh
post Mar 14 2008, 07:01 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 154394

Hello there i wonder if you can help me.

I hope to travel from china to nepal overland. I was wondering which would be the easiest option. If i go through tibet will i need a permit, and if so where could i obtain such a permit. furthermore where could i get the nepalese visa. I know you can get them at kathmandu airport if you fly into nepal, but can you get them beforehand in china for the overland journey.

thanks in advance

paresh
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Mar 14 2008, 01:11 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

This is what I found on the US government's website:

Travelers occasionally report immigration difficulties with Chinese authorities when crossing the Nepal-China border over land in either direction. Chinese authorities often require American and other foreign tourists to organize "group" tours through established travel agencies as a pre-requisite for obtaining visas and entry permits into Tibet. U.S. citizens planning to travel to Tibet from Nepal may contact the U.S. Embassy in Kathmandu for current information on the status of the border-crossing points. Travelers may also wish to check with the Embassy of the People’s Republic of China in Nepal for current regulations on entry into Tibet.

Visit the Embassy of Nepal web site at http://www.nepalembassyusa.org/ for the most current visa information.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Mar 15 2008, 09:34 AM
Post #3

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

I think you can get them on arrival from the borders. Wouldn't want to be in Lhasa at the moment though....

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
evamaria85
post Mar 15 2008, 01:06 PM
Post #4

Drifter

Member No.: 1099

Last time I was in that corner of China you could "participate" in group tours leaving from Traffic Hotel i Chengdu, and once you set foot on Tibetan ground the group was no more, so you could travel on your own around Tibet.
You can actually enter Tibet entirely without a TTP (Tibetan Travel Permit), if you stay within Lhasa you don't need the permit (I've been told this by a close friend who work as a guide in Tibet). This could help with you problem, fly into Lhasa from Beijing, look around for a while and then leave for Katmandu. But as previously Lhasa is probably not the place to be at the moment.
The Chinese government has even closed for Mt. Everest climbs for a while until the Olympics.
Have a great trip.
Best,
evamaria85
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Mar 17 2008, 09:02 AM
Post #5

Navigator

Member No.: 98

QUOTE(evamaria85 @ Mar 15 2008, 01:06 PM) *

Last time I was in that corner of China you could "participate" in group tours leaving from Traffic Hotel i Chengdu, and once you set foot on Tibetan ground the group was no more, so you could travel on your own around Tibet.
You can actually enter Tibet entirely without a TTP (Tibetan Travel Permit), if you stay within Lhasa you don't need the permit (I've been told this by a close friend who work as a guide in Tibet). This could help with you problem, fly into Lhasa from Beijing, look around for a while and then leave for Katmandu. But as previously Lhasa is probably not the place to be at the moment.
The Chinese government has even closed for Mt. Everest climbs for a while until the Olympics.
Have a great trip.
Best,
evamaria85

That is very useful info air_kiss.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Mar 17 2008, 09:05 AM
Post #6

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

Basically all the hostels in Chengdu will be able to arrange the same sort of permit. We used our hostel to book the flight/permit combo but once we were in Tibet we were on our own.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Mar 17 2008, 09:39 AM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Wow violence in Lhasa: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-03/...ent_7809010.htm

But I guess it's over now and under (relative) control?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
zoezhou
post Apr 18 2008, 01:28 AM
Post #8

Unregistered

If you want to get a visa for Nepal in China ,you can only get it in Lhasa ,but you do not need to flight to Lhasha ,through the travel agency in Chengdu you can get it !

www.travelevery.com/Tibet/
+Quote Post
charlotte850505
post Nov 5 2008, 04:28 AM
Post #9

Explorer

Member No.: 251580

Chinese authorities often require American and other foreign tourists to organize "group" tours through established travel agencies as a pre-requisite for obtaining visas and entry permits into Tibet. U.S. citizens planning to travel to Tibet from Nepal may contact the U.S. Embassy in Kathmandu for current information on the status of the border-crossing points.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 02:02 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in China

Beijing Hotels
Changchun Hotels
Changsha Hotels
Chengdu Hotels
Chongqing Hotels
Dalian Hotels
Dongguan Hotels
Foshan Hotels
Fuzhou Hotels
Guangzhou Hotels
Guilin Hotels
Haikou Hotels
Hangzhou Hotels
Harbin Hotels
Hefei Hotels
Hong Kong Hotels
Jinan Hotels
Kunming Hotels
Lanzhou Hotels
Lijiang Hotels
Nanchang Hotels
Nanjing Hotels
Nanning Hotels
Ningbo Hotels
Qingdao Hotels
Sanya Hotels
Shanghai Hotels
Shenyang Hotels
Shenzhen Hotels
Suzhou Hotels
Taiyuan Hotels
Tianjin Hotels
Urumqi Hotels
Wenzhou Hotels
Wuhan Hotels
Wuxi Hotels
Xi'an Hotels
Xiamen Hotels
Zhengzhou Hotels
Zhuhai Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.