Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> French Polynesia on a budget?, Advice & tips needed please!
justtin
post Feb 3 2010, 01:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 379171
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi all,

Am on a RTW trip right no heading from South America to Easter Island then onto tahiti to do French Polynesia (travelling between islands if budget permits) then to NZ etc. I will be there in March for 3 or so weeks.

I realise this is not quite the backpackers destination of choice as it is so expensive so I need some help!! This is part of my RTW but am worried that I will only be able to stay for a few nts as my budget cannot cope with the expense.

Has anyone been that can recommend camping or hostels? Is it possible to wild camp anywhere...the cheaper the better!

Anyone who has any info on accom or travelling between islands and costsings etc let me know!

Thanks smile.gif
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kuurgen
post Mar 23 2010, 06:20 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 863871
Nominate me as a Local Expert

QUOTE(justtin @ Feb 3 2010, 02:47 PM) *

Hi all,

Am on a RTW trip right no heading from South America to Easter Island then onto tahiti to do French Polynesia (travelling between islands if budget permits) then to NZ etc. I will be there in March for 3 or so weeks.

I realise this is not quite the backpackers destination of choice as it is so expensive so I need some help!! This is part of my RTW but am worried that I will only be able to stay for a few nts as my budget cannot cope with the expense.

Has anyone been that can recommend camping or hostels? Is it possible to wild camp anywhere...the cheaper the better!

Anyone who has any info on accom or travelling between islands and costsings etc let me know!

Thanks smile.gif

French Polynesia is not the country where you can pitch a tent wherever, there are places you can camp, on Moorea IIRC, or you can use Pensions (which are like bed and breakfasts), you definitely need an updated guide book by David Stanley or Jan Prince.

You can use the Hawaiki Nui Freighter to travel between the islands for about 25 bucks usd (last time I checked) bring a mat to sleep on, and be early to get a spot on the top sleeping area.

it takes 24 hours give or take to get to Bora Bora from Tahiti with stops to Huahine,Raitea
(can't remember if there was any other stops)

(there are cabins IIRC, but you will ROAST in them)

Bring lots of water and food for the boat ride.

You can find cheap accommodations, you need updated info, and for that I'm not good for when it comes to pensions.

Oh and check out http://www.couchsurfing.org/ for maybe finding a place to crash

best of luck.

I'm guessing I may be too late with this reply...sigh

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 01:44 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Tahiti

Arue Hotels
Faa'a Hotels
Mahina Hotels
Papeete Hotels
Pirae Hotels
Punaauia Hotels
Tahiti Hotels
Teahupoo Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.