Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Moving to Ireland, Where is the best place to live in Ireland??
lindsey-canada
post Mar 7 2008, 12:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 145010

Hello! My name is Lindsey I am smack dab in the center of Canada!

In October my boyfriend and I will be "moving" to Ireland for approx. 1 year, we are wondering WHERE is the best place to look for an apartment/flat/room..... Also does anyone know if it is hard to get a job there if you are not from the EU?? We are looking to have Ireland as our home base so we can work and travel around Europe.. ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Cheers

drinks.gif

Lindsey
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Mar 10 2008, 10:48 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Hmm. That is interesting. Do you have a city in mind?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lindsey-canada
post Mar 10 2008, 11:24 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 145010

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Mar 10 2008, 11:48 AM) *

Hmm. That is interesting. Do you have a city in mind?

Yes, well maybe? Haha we were looking at Galway or Killarney but I was reading a nother couples blog who did what Sean and I are planning and I wrote them they said the best place to stay is in Dublin, the South side... Originally I thought we shouldn’t stay in Dublin because it will be too expensive. But now they suggested we stay in Dublin, they said Galway is too small and we would get bored there and Dublin has great cheap flights for traveling so now I am really considering Dublin, maybe it wont be as expensive as I thought?! Or maybe it will be breakeven because I will be saving on traveling to and from Dublin when I wanted to travel through Europe…
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Mar 10 2008, 12:10 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Yeah for me personally, I'd rather go to the biggest city I could. I don't have much advice in this area personally, I hope you get some help soon.

Any leads on jobs yet?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Aug 4 2009, 04:50 PM
Post #5

Vagabond

Member No.: 30044

Hi Lindsey,

My Starter Kit to the Republic of Ireland includes a section on what you need to do to work here.

There's a link on there to the place you need to contact - I'm sure it's similar for non-EU.

As Anchoress said, daft.ie is the letting website everyone advertises on. There are temporary lets available too, if you want a few weeks to look around yourself.

Dublin is expensive. It's getting slightly cheaper due to the recession (do you have a job lined up yet? It is tough here at the moment) Rents have got cheaper on that basis too, but it is still much more expensive here than in the UK.

Cheap flights? Well, it's the Ryanair capital of Europe, but you still need to grab the deals when they come up. I have found it cheaper sometimes to fly via London when going to Europe.

I can't talk for Galway personally, but my flatmate went to college there and loves it. She goes back quite often, and it's not like she left college recently! Dublin is a cool city to live in.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
raniroo
post Aug 5 2009, 12:43 AM
Post #6

Sightseer

Member No.: 19411

I live outside of Dublin in Lucan which was only about 30 minutes by bus and was a great little village. I worked in Dublin and the travel was OK. On the weekends, we had the best of both worlds, a great little village with walking trails etc around us and was easy to get into the city.

--------------------
If you really look like your passport photo, you need the holiday!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Aug 5 2009, 02:15 PM
Post #7

Vagabond

Member No.: 30044

QUOTE(raniroo @ Aug 5 2009, 06:43 AM) *

I live outside of Dublin in Lucan which was only about 30 minutes by bus and was a great little village. I worked in Dublin and the travel was OK. On the weekends, we had the best of both worlds, a great little village with walking trails etc around us and was easy to get into the city.

2 of my friends live in Lucan! Small world Rani!

QUOTE(freetrip @ Aug 5 2009, 10:06 AM) *

May I suggest the sunny south east? Maybe Wexford town ? Lovely coast line, great people, near Wales, not too far from Waterford, Kilkenny or Dublin cities (though more than 30/40 minutes!). Choice of schools, hospital. Friendly to the English? We are so over that whole feud thing. No hard feelings.
Or Somewhere like Dunmore East or Dungarvan further west of Waterford city? But I did hear that they eat the English down there?
Good luck!

Not that I think any Irish people would eat the English, I think the person asking about this is Canadian anyway. Can I ask what you just had for dinner? Just to clarify...?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 06:52 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.