Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Azerbaijan's new "Death Star" hotel
starlagurl
post Mar 6 2008, 01:47 PM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

A new hotel in Azerbaijan, of all places, threatens to beat Dubai for most outrageous hotel design. From one angle it's imposing and frightening, and from the next, it's playful and fun.

IPB Image

I'm not quite sure what I think about these types of hotels. They seem to be built almost mockingly.

According to the UN, 49.6 per cent of citizens in Azerbaijan live below the poverty line! This money for building these hotels could've been better spent elsewhere...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Mar 6 2008, 05:59 PM
Post #2

Jet Setter

Member No.: 60100

It looks like a webcam...

Exactly what you said. Its just a disgusting display of wealth. I saw a recent news report about the poverty crisis in Lagos, Nigeria, and there was a picture that completely exemplified the divide: the grounds of a posh, modernised hotel like this one, right next to a massive shanty town, it was disgusting. I hate stuff like this, I really wish people wouldn't support them by staying in them.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Mar 6 2008, 11:07 PM
Post #3

Navigator

Group: Members
Member No.: 98
Nominate me as a Local Expert

YAY for those comments
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Mar 7 2008, 10:41 AM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

OK here's me trying to get into the head of a big business man:

Someone is trying to do a business deal with you and they pay for your hotel or dinner or something, they want to go all out on you.
They buy you a room at this place and dinner etc. etc.
If you turn it down, on the basis of social concerns, sometimes it can be seen as an insult, and you could screw up the whole business deal. Then you could lose money, your job etc. etc.

So even if you have good intentions, you can't follow through with them all the time... I don't think. I'm not a big business man, but if I was, I think I would feel very conflicted on these issues...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Mar 7 2008, 11:38 AM
Post #5

Jet Setter

Member No.: 60100

Hence why I want nothing to do with business!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Mar 7 2008, 12:14 PM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

Yeah, maybe that's why it seems that none of the businesspeople feel conflicted...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
inasia2008
post Jun 20 2008, 10:39 PM
Post #7

Unregistered

They probably feel like they have to compete with the rest of the Middle East i.e. Kuwait, Saudi, Dubai and Bahrain, the mega rich countries that are well, swimming in money there is so much of it! It tough playing with the big boys!!!!
Business is always going to be a cut throat, greedy world to be in!!!! Social concerns aren't on their agendas which is why it takes a certain type of person to be able to do it! Like it takes a certain type of person to be an aid worker etc. Obviously totally different people....
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jun 23 2008, 09:19 AM
Post #8

Rolling Stone

Hmm...very interesting... what type of person are you, Jo?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
gulmira_fr_usa
post Aug 24 2009, 12:01 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 298004

I THINK IT IS WONDERFUL HOTEL. I DONT THINK THAT 46 PERCENT OF AZERBAIJAN PEOPLE LIVE BELOW POVERTY. 1 THING OIL BUISSINESS BRINGS AZERBAIJAN MILLIONS
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Aug 24 2009, 12:03 PM
Post #10

Rolling Stone

From: http://europeandcis.undp.org/poverty/mdghd...4939E0D5DF885EE

Baku, Azerbaijan, 12 May 2005 - "Nobody should live in poverty in Azerbaijan," said Ilham Aliyev, President of Azerbaijan, in his address today to the annual conference on the implementation of the State Programme of Poverty Reduction and Economic Development (SPPRED).

Mr. Aliyev noted the positive results of the poverty reduction programme. "However, we all know that there are still more people living in poverty”, he said. "If we look at the issue globally, we will see that approximately half the world's population lives in poverty. The same situation was in Azerbaijan when we adopted this programme. As a result of the reforms conducted in Azerbaijan, the number of people living in poverty has fallen every year, and today it makes up some 40 percent of the population”.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Sep 3 2009, 04:57 PM
Post #11

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

QUOTE(Paul @ Mar 7 2008, 12:07 AM) *

YAY for those comments

Double yay. This is exactly what's wrong with the world today. Plus a million other things.....

No. Let's not help the poor and starving. Let's. Make. Moneeeeeeeey. Sick.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
littlekate
post Sep 5 2009, 03:39 PM
Post #12

Nomad

Member No.: 225327

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Aug 24 2009, 12:03 PM) *

From: http://europeandcis.undp.org/poverty/mdghd...4939E0D5DF885EE

Baku, Azerbaijan, 12 May 2005 - "Nobody should live in poverty in Azerbaijan," said Ilham Aliyev, President of Azerbaijan, in his address today to the annual conference on the implementation of the State Programme of Poverty Reduction and Economic Development (SPPRED).

Mr. Aliyev noted the positive results of the poverty reduction programme. "However, we all know that there are still more people living in poverty”, he said. "If we look at the issue globally, we will see that approximately half the world's population lives in poverty. The same situation was in Azerbaijan when we adopted this programme. As a result of the reforms conducted in Azerbaijan, the number of people living in poverty has fallen every year, and today it makes up some 40 percent of the population”.

Some 4 years ago I had a marketing research on translation. It was about Azerbaijan. I remember them writing about 50% in Baku (capital) and much more of poor people in other parts of the country. They also wrote that normaly people can not by meat (too expansive) and buy beens for some sourse of proteins. Official newspaper are overmodest as they always are.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
azeriman
post Nov 22 2009, 04:41 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 528391

guys, hello, think of this hotel and the rest of investments as a part of poverty reduction programme of Azerbaijan.
i mean do we get extra-few hundred working places such a hotel? no! few thousand extra working places! then why not?
after all, which country in the world is just giving money to its citizens?
i don't think there are such countries.
Our economics are very stabile and well-thought for a country that had so much trouble getting our freedom and independancy.
Do you know for a fact that all of the u.s.s.r. embassy buildings built in a soviet time remained as a russian embassies? so here you go!
do you know for a fact that a budget of Azerbaijan in the begining of 90's after the collapse of USSR was only 400 thousand usd?
Azeris are cool, and i am not saying that because i am an azeri, in fact i am less azeri than the rest coz half of my 32 year old life i spent abroad. I say they are cool coz i know that for a fact too. Peace..
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
confident
post Nov 26 2009, 01:03 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 536441

QUOTE(littlekate @ Sep 5 2009, 03:39 PM) *

Some 4 years ago I had a marketing research on translation. It was about Azerbaijan. I remember them writing about 50% in Baku (capital) and much more of poor people in other parts of the country. They also wrote that normaly people can not by meat (too expansive) and buy beens for some sourse of proteins. Official newspaper are overmodest as they always are.

that's not true for sure. crazy.gif

Azeri people eat meat more than many prospering countries cauz it's a tradition, habit...

Do not believe everything is said about Azerbaijan.
However some things above are right... Too cool hotels for country living in an oil boom period. This money are to be spent is more appropriate manner.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
littlekate
post Nov 26 2009, 02:13 AM
Post #15

Nomad

Member No.: 225327

Azeri people eat meat more than many prospering countries cauz it's a tradition, habit...

The amrketing research I referred to above belonged to the netwoking foodstore, its name meant "Island" in translation. You might now it. I think the meat-eating-rate mistake might cost them a lot of money. May it be that meat-eting habit today conserns only the higher class, who can afford not only to eat meat, but also to teach children abroad (I guess, you belong to them). Is it right?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
confident
post Nov 26 2009, 02:37 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 536441

QUOTE(littlekate @ Nov 26 2009, 02:13 AM) *

The amrketing research I referred to above belonged to the netwoking foodstore, its name meant "Island" in translation. You might now it. I think the meat-eating-rate mistake might cost them a lot of money. May it be that meat-eting habit today conserns only the higher class, who can afford not only to eat meat, but also to teach children abroad (I guess, you belong to them). Is it right?

Never been taught abroad girl_cray2.gif

There is no foodstore called Island in Baku :-( In translation to azeri or turkish it should look like "Ada". But nobody heard about such store in Azerbaijan.

Sorry for that.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 05:04 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Azerbaijan

Baku Hotels
Balakan Hotels
Ganja Hotels
Goychay Hotels
Laza Hotels
Lerik Hotels
Quba Hotels
Sheki Hotels
Stepanakert Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.