Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cambodia: A Beautiful, Haunting and Heart-breaking Country
greekcypriot
post Jan 31 2010, 09:26 AM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 273790

I was reading an article on Cambodia, and when I finished I continued with the comments column as always.
The article is giving us the picture of Cambodia as it is today, but goes back and mentions moments of the past like this for instance which I copy here:

"Even now, you can see bits of bone and cloth poking up through the ground. Many of the mass graves have never been disinterred. But if you can't see the bodies, you can see some of the skulls. There are more than 8,000 of them, arranged by sex and age, behind the glass panels in a Memorial Stupa, created in 1988. Green mats next to it say (in English) "Welcome" and next to them are buckets of chrysanthemums"

The article is vividly giving us the pictures of what the writer saw but at the same time what she learned from those who were viciously tortured to death. This is what the person who read it commented:

It has been along time since I read an article that moves my my soul and spirit. I am reliving my parents and other survivors' nightmares when I am reading this. The author did an oustanding job of painting so vividly the pictures of what she saw and what she learned about those who were viciously tortured to death. My family survived the tragedy of the Pol Pot regime. Obviously, there were those who had it worse than us. We will forever mourn their suffering. We try to suppress our feelings and memories of that past, but it is hard.

Thank you for showing the beauty and darkness of Cambodia.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THE ARTICLE IS WORTH READING:

--------------------
My LATEST BLOGS: Marmari, Vasa, and CYPRUS, the Unique Destination for Business and Holidays!!!

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 10:09 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Cambodia

Banlung Hotels
Battambang Hotels
Kampong Cham Hotels
Kampong Chhnang Hotels
Kampot Hotels
Kep Hotels
Koh Dach Hotels
Koh Kong Hotels
Koh Rong Hotels
Koh Rong Samloem Hotels
Koh Rung Hotels
Koh Ta Kiev Hotels
Koh Tonsay Hotels
Kompong Thom Hotels
Kratie (Kracheh) Hotels
Pailin Hotels
Phnom Penh Hotels
Poipet Hotels
Pursat Hotels
Ratanakiri Hotels
Roluos Hotels
Sen Monorom Hotels
Siem Reap Hotels
Sihanoukville Hotels
Sisophon Hotels
Stung Treng Hotels
Takeo Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.