Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

> Thai Visa, Should i worry
luke_1989
post Jan 31 2010, 07:36 AM
Post #1

Pathfinder

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 266185

Someone recently said that you shouldnt rely on being granted a Thai visa on arrival. I am flying with British airways and traveling SEA until June 2010 so my flight from Bangkok aint untill the end of June and i arrive in April this is what he put.

In a nutshell, it's not as straightforward as just rocking up and getting stamped in for 2 reasons...

1. Strictly speaking, when flying in to Thailand you need to show proof of departure by air from Thailand itself. Proof of flights out of a neighbouring country - so flights from, say, Singapore to Australia - won't suffice, even if they are within 30 days. The truth is most people just get stamped in on the 30 day visa exemption without being asked, but that's only because individual Thai officials can exercise their discretion on this rule. Sometimes they decide not to allow people in who don't have the proof of onward flights for within 30 days of their arrival. In this situation you can get sent immediately back to where you came from at cost to yourself.

2. Certain airlines can and do refuse to carry you to Thailand in the first place if you don't have either a pre-arranged tourist visa (or other type of visa), or proof of outbound flights (again, from Thailand itself) for within 30 days of your arrival. In short, you might not even be allowed to board a plane to Thailand if you don't have either a visa or proof of departure by air for within 30 days.

By far the best thing to do these days is get the 60 day tourist visa that most Thai embassies and consulates around the world are currently offering for free or a small fee. The Thai consulate in Liverpool is your best bet in the UK.

Find the sticky thread at the top of the Thailand forum on here for full info. The info in the thread needs updating a bit (when I get a minute I'll do it), but fundamentally it's correct.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you think i should worry because was just going to get a 30 day visa on arrival and then get a 15 day one when comeing back overland for my flight from Bangkok??

Thanks
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 2)
barsie
post Feb 2 2010, 09:20 AM
Post #2

Globetrotter

Group: Members
Member No.: 195337
Nominate me as a Local Expert

QUOTE(luke_1989 @ Jan 31 2010, 12:36 PM) *

Someone recently said that you shouldnt rely on being granted a Thai visa on arrival. I am flying with British airways and traveling SEA until June 2010 so my flight from Bangkok aint untill the end of June and i arrive in April this is what he put.

In a nutshell, it's not as straightforward as just rocking up and getting stamped in for 2 reasons...

1. Strictly speaking, when flying in to Thailand you need to show proof of departure by air from Thailand itself. Proof of flights out of a neighbouring country - so flights from, say, Singapore to Australia - won't suffice, even if they are within 30 days. The truth is most people just get stamped in on the 30 day visa exemption without being asked, but that's only because individual Thai officials can exercise their discretion on this rule. Sometimes they decide not to allow people in who don't have the proof of onward flights for within 30 days of their arrival. In this situation you can get sent immediately back to where you came from at cost to yourself.

2. Certain airlines can and do refuse to carry you to Thailand in the first place if you don't have either a pre-arranged tourist visa (or other type of visa), or proof of outbound flights (again, from Thailand itself) for within 30 days of your arrival. In short, you might not even be allowed to board a plane to Thailand if you don't have either a visa or proof of departure by air for within 30 days.

By far the best thing to do these days is get the 60 day tourist visa that most Thai embassies and consulates around the world are currently offering for free or a small fee. The Thai consulate in Liverpool is your best bet in the UK.

Find the sticky thread at the top of the Thailand forum on here for full info. The info in the thread needs updating a bit (when I get a minute I'll do it), but fundamentally it's correct.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you think i should worry because was just going to get a 30 day visa on arrival and then get a 15 day one when comeing back overland for my flight from Bangkok??

Thanks

An airline can refuse to take you to Thailand if you don't have a visa for there, however this is highly unlikely in your case. Flying with BA you will not have a problem as a british national going travelling they'll understand why you have no return flight/ have a flight a long time in future.

30 day visa on arrival for british passport i've NEVER heard of it not being given. I fly in and out of different asian countries a lot and have no issues.

Worst case scenario at any airport- if you looked a little bit poor/ dodgey, they may ask you to prove you have the money for your stay in their country.

--------------------
Would be life traveler.

Visit BackPackingShop
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
luke_1989
post Feb 2 2010, 03:42 PM
Post #3

Pathfinder

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 266185

Thanks thats lots of help :-D

Luke
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 09:56 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.