Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 19 year old daughter and dad to spend a month in Argentina, Trip of a lifetime for Dad and Daughter
007chiro
post Mar 5 2008, 03:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 150788
Nominate me as a Local Expert

[font=Lucida Sans Unicode]
My daughter and I are going to Ecuador "Quito" in June. Does anyone have infor on La Selma Lodge for the Amazon? Also we will have time to do other things. Any suggestions? Galapogus is too expensive for us.We plan to take some spanish lessons. Good places to stay that are not just expensive hotels?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Mar 5 2008, 04:28 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Check out some of these blogs from Buenos Aires.

These guys went on two adventures from Buenos Aires, including Colonia and Iguazu.

Rich did not enjoy his trip from Buenos Aires to Cordoba.

And Semi-backpacker, who is a frequent forum poster, BTW, went to Colonia del Sacramento in Uruguay after her stay in Buenos Aires

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
andrea
post Mar 5 2008, 05:41 PM
Post #3

Globetrotter

Member No.: 2

Argentina is wonderful and Buenos Aires is a great city (great people, food, shopping, wine... ) I would highly recommend doing a spanish course with a homestay - it's a great way to learn and a phenomenal exprience. We went through CEDIC www.cedic.com.ar and would highly recommend them.

A bit out of the way of BA,but the Moreno Glacier in the south is a must see.

You could also head up to Bolivia to see the Salar De Uyuni and head into the Amazon from Rurrenebaque. Incredible!

Check out my stories and pics and www.travelpod.com/members/andrea
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
globetrekking
post Mar 29 2008, 10:20 PM
Post #4

Drifter

Member No.: 160741

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I love Buenos Aires...obviously you need to see the Sunday market in San Telmos where they have free tango shoes in amongst the stalls...and head over to La Boca and Calle Caminito, some very nice Argentinians kept us from walking through the rougher areas, that they themselves avoided, so generally be a little bit more careful in this area and stick to the touristy areas.

Recoleta is the posher neighbourhood, so expect to find higher prices but very nice cafes and restaurants. Also home to the cemetary.

If poss try and go to the cinema on a Friday night...its seen as a treat for the argentinians and you will find people very dressed up almost as if they were off to expensive restaurants...quite amusing when you stand there in your hiking boots and combats lol.

Cafe Tortoni is great to relax and watch the evening Tango show. You will need to book this in advance and whilst the show is in Spanish, non spanish speakers should find it fairly easy to follow.

Theres a great restaurant in Buenos Aires that I would completely recommend (providing your not veggies of course!) called siga la vaca in Puerto Madero which is a great introduction into Argentinian Meat and its cheap!

ohhhhhhhhhhh and Roquefort Cheese Pizza...the best pizza ever!!!!

Can you tell I love Buenos Aires?!? Honestly though the people there are fantastic...as soon as I got a guidbook out or stopped to check a map argentinians would stop and try and help. You are going to have a fantastic time.

Outside of Buenos Aires I would definately recommend flying up to Iguazu Falls and checking out the falls from both the Brazilian and Argentinian side and like Andrea said walking on Moreno Glacier although touristy is definately recommended especially if you have never seen/walked on one before. I also really like Bariloche, Villa La Angostura and Mendoza, not sure if like Moreno they are a bit far but thought id mention it as food for thought. Have fun!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
007chiro
post Mar 30 2008, 07:34 PM
Post #5

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately we were not able to get thye airfare package we initially were after so we have settled on Quito Ecuador in stead. We are going to try to fined a homestay and take spanish lessons there. as for additional stuff, the galapogus is a bit expensive and we both get sea sick so instaed we decided to do the amazon river and go to La Selma Lodge. Anyone ever hear of that place?

Overall I want to thank you for your response. I will save it for hopefully a future trip to Argentina and try out some of the hot spots you have mentioned. Any tips on Ecuador would be appreciated

Chris

QUOTE(globetrekking @ Mar 29 2008, 10:20 PM) *

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I love Buenos Aires...obviously you need to see the Sunday market in San Telmos where they have free tango shoes in amongst the stalls...and head over to La Boca and Calle Caminito, some very nice Argentinians kept us from walking through the rougher areas, that they themselves avoided, so generally be a little bit more careful in this area and stick to the touristy areas.

Recoleta is the posher neighbourhood, so expect to find higher prices but very nice cafes and restaurants. Also home to the cemetary.

If poss try and go to the cinema on a Friday night...its seen as a treat for the argentinians and you will find people very dressed up almost as if they were off to expensive restaurants...quite amusing when you stand there in your hiking boots and combats lol.

Cafe Tortoni is great to relax and watch the evening Tango show. You will need to book this in advance and whilst the show is in Spanish, non spanish speakers should find it fairly easy to follow.

Theres a great restaurant in Buenos Aires that I would completely recommend (providing your not veggies of course!) called siga la vaca in Puerto Madero which is a great introduction into Argentinian Meat and its cheap!

ohhhhhhhhhhh and Roquefort Cheese Pizza...the best pizza ever!!!!

Can you tell I love Buenos Aires?!? Honestly though the people there are fantastic...as soon as I got a guidbook out or stopped to check a map argentinians would stop and try and help. You are going to have a fantastic time.

Outside of Buenos Aires I would definately recommend flying up to Iguazu Falls and checking out the falls from both the Brazilian and Argentinian side and like Andrea said walking on Moreno Glacier although touristy is definately recommended especially if you have never seen/walked on one before. I also really like Bariloche, Villa La Angostura and Mendoza, not sure if like Moreno they are a bit far but thought id mention it as food for thought. Have fun!

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
globetrekking
post Apr 5 2008, 05:22 PM
Post #6

Drifter

Member No.: 160741

Havent heard of the lodge but am sure you will have a great time!

When your in Quito would recommend going up the Basilica, no health and safety whatsoever but once in there they basically let you wander around freely allowing you to climb up above the belfry...its awesome!!! The churches are a must...see if you can find the one with disco jesus biggrin.gif

No doubt you will head up to mitad de mundo (where your find that the monument isnt actually on the equator line) but once there would really recommend going to Pululahua crater a fascinating trip since you will overlook a crater which is inhabited by about 30 families. Once here you will learn all about the religion and way of life of those who live in the crater.

If you are heading to the coast, Puerto Lopez is a nice little beach town, close to the beach national park Macasilla.

If you want to stay inland I really really like Banos. From the town you can easily walk up to mirador bellavista where you can stop for a Canelzo (alcoholic cinnamon drink...very nice!!!) and then onto Runtun where you can hear the volcano breathing...and hopefully see it if its not cloudy! and then walk onto Mirador Virgen, where you can head back down to the town. If your in Banos would also recommend hiring bikes and cycling to Rio Verde and Pialon de Diablo. You pass loads of waterfalls along the way and cable cars that go across the canyon...scary but you have to do it! At Pialon de Diablo its worth paying the extra money (about a dollar!) to get right up close to the waterfall...but bewarned you WILL get soaked!!! From Banos you could travel to Riobamba and catch the Devils Nose train which you get to sit on top off, fantastic when its a beautiful sunny day! From here you could carry on to Ingapirca where there is a small but very interesting inca ruin with an inca face in the rock...and from there on to Cuenca which is a nice town with beautiful colonial buildings.

Am sure that whatever you do you will have a fantastic time...enjoy!!!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
007chiro
post Apr 7 2008, 09:18 AM
Post #7

duplicate
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
007chiro
post Apr 7 2008, 09:19 AM
Post #8

duplicate
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
007chiro
post Apr 7 2008, 09:21 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(globetrekking @ Apr 5 2008, 05:22 PM) *

Havent heard of the lodge but am sure you will have a great time!

When your in Quito would recommend going up the Basilica, no health and safety whatsoever but once in there they basically let you wander around freely allowing you to climb up above the belfry...its awesome!!! The churches are a must...see if you can find the one with disco jesus biggrin.gif

No doubt you will head up to mitad de mundo (where your find that the monument isnt actually on the equator line) but once there would really recommend going to Pululahua crater a fascinating trip since you will overlook a crater which is inhabited by about 30 families. Once here you will learn all about the religion and way of life of those who live in the crater.

If you are heading to the coast, Puerto Lopez is a nice little beach town, close to the beach national park Macasilla.

If you want to stay inland I really really like Banos. From the town you can easily walk up to mirador bellavista where you can stop for a Canelzo (alcoholic cinnamon drink...very nice!!!) and then onto Runtun where you can hear the volcano breathing...and hopefully see it if its not cloudy! and then walk onto Mirador Virgen, where you can head back down to the town. If your in Banos would also recommend hiring bikes and cycling to Rio Verde and Pialon de Diablo. You pass loads of waterfalls along the way and cable cars that go across the canyon...scary but you have to do it! At Pialon de Diablo its worth paying the extra money (about a dollar!) to get right up close to the waterfall...but bewarned you WILL get soaked!!! From Banos you could travel to Riobamba and catch the Devils Nose train which you get to sit on top off, fantastic when its a beautiful sunny day! From here you could carry on to Ingapirca where there is a small but very interesting inca ruin with an inca face in the rock...and from there on to Cuenca which is a nice town with beautiful colonial buildings.

Am sure that whatever you do you will have a fantastic time...enjoy!!!

Thank you so much for the wonderful reply with plenty to do. You sound like you were busy> That is exactly what I was loking for and hopefully we will find some of the same to be able to continue to share with others.

007chiro
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 06:53 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Argentina

Buenos Aires Hotels
Cafayate Hotels
Capilla del Monte Hotels
Carilo Hotels
Chacras de Coria Hotels
Cordoba Hotels
Corrientes Hotels
El Bolson Hotels
El Calafate Hotels
El Chalten Hotels
Esquel Hotels
La Cumbre Hotels
La Falda Hotels
Mar del Plata Hotels
Mendoza Hotels
Neuquen Hotels
Pilar Hotels
Pinamar Hotels
Puerto Iguazu Hotels
Puerto Madryn Hotels
Puerto Piramides Hotels
Purmamarca Hotels
Rosario Hotels
Salta Hotels
San Antonio de Areco Hotels
San Carlos de Bariloche Hotels
San Juan Hotels
San Martin de los Andes Hotels
San Miguel de Tucuman Hotels
San Rafael Hotels
San Salvador de Jujuy Hotels
Santa Fe Hotels
Tigre Hotels
Tilcara Hotels
Trelew Hotels
Ushuaia Hotels
Villa Carlos Paz Hotels
Villa General Belgrano Hotels
Villa Gesell Hotels
Villa La Angostura Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.