Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Taking a train from Toronto to Vancouver (and stopping on the way), The best places to stop
robinmichel
post Jan 27 2010, 01:18 PM
Post #1

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 276897
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi

My wife has come up with the idea of crossing Canada by train in October and thanks other travelers blogs I can see it is a viable proposition to take a VIA train from Toronto to Vancouver which takes 4 days.

However it seems wrong to go across the country and not stop off on the way and I have the choice of Winnipeg, Jasper and Edmonton. I also really would love to go to The Wickaninnish Inn in Tofino when I get to BC and feel I must see Seattle if we are that close.

We have only been to Canada once before when we drove from Montreal to Niagara and had a sensational time. (there are some photos and a bit or blurb about the US leg of the trip at http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog/robinmichel/3/tpod.html )

So is there anyone who would be kind enough to help me make the best use of 9 days including air travel to and from the UK?

One last question; is October a good time to visit or should we consider another season?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 27 2010, 04:28 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

October is a great time to visit.

I would say, stop in Winnipeg and Edmonton, but not Jasper. I went to Jasper and found it basically the same as Banff.

If you are not already going to Banff, then stop in Jasper and Winnipeg but not Edmonton. Edmonton is even more boring than Calgary...

Are you going in coach or first class?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
robinmichel
post Jan 28 2010, 03:12 AM
Post #3

Wanderer

Thank you so much for the prompt response.

Funds are limited so we're probably going coach, but now I have a better idea of where to stop I'll price the trip properly.

I had not considered Banff as that wasn't a listed stop so now I need to get a map out and plot a trip timetable (I'm also going to read something about Calgary yawn.gif )

Thanks again
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Jan 28 2010, 09:12 AM
Post #4

Tripper

Member No.: 893

You will be hard pressed to see all you want in the 9 days. I agree with Starlagurl about Jasper and Banff but to see the later would involve a bus ride south as you probably now realize. I think stops in Winnipeg and Jasper make sense although if you want to hit Tofino and the Wickaninnish, that will involve a days bus ride from Vancouver.

So if you take 4 days for the trip, one day in Winnipeg and Jasper and about 3 to hit Tofino (and return to Van), that is pretty well all your time!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jan 28 2010, 09:45 AM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Yeah, no matter what you do, you will be rushed. It takes 4 days just to get across the country without stopping.

When I did this trip, we only stopped in Edmonton, rented a car and drove to the Calgary/Banff/Drumheller area. It was a lot of good times.

Good luck!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
caper
post Feb 1 2010, 05:44 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 78577

The train from Toronto to Vancouver stops in Winnipeg for four hours (if arriving on time - otherwise the stop can be shorter). During the stop over is a good opportunuity to see the sites of Winnipeg - I believe tourist tours are available.

I would suggest a stop in Jasper however, this will cost you at least two wxtra days as the train only operates three days a week. An alternative would be to rent a car in Jasper and drive through the mountains to Vancouver (downside being drop charge for car).

From Vancouver to Tofino I would suggest a rental car or depending on your time available perhaps a flight to Vancouver Island and then rent a car.

Nine days is going to be a very short time for such a trip and if you can at all lengthen your time I would recommend doing so.

Finally, in regard to travel in October I would suggest making it as early as possible because day light hours get short in late October and the weather can tend to get a bit risky (snow in the mountains).

Enjoy your trip - it is wonderful to go by train I have done it and also been to Tofino but did not stay overnight.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
robinmichel
post Feb 2 2010, 05:08 PM
Post #7

Wanderer

QUOTE(caper @ Feb 1 2010, 05:44 PM) *

The train from Toronto to Vancouver stops in Winnipeg for four hours (if arriving on time - otherwise the stop can be shorter). During the stop over is a good opportunuity to see the sites of Winnipeg - I believe tourist tours are available.

Thanks so much for the advice. A Winnipeg short stop is now definitely on the agenda

I would suggest a stop in Jasper however, this will cost you at least two extra days as the train only operates three days a week. An alternative would be to rent a car in Jasper and drive through the mountains to Vancouver (downside being drop charge for car).

Hmm time is really at a bit of a premium, so the car idea appeals, but a 500 mile drive may be nothing to you tough Canadians, but rather daunting to a soft Englishman

From Vancouver to Tofino I would suggest a rental car or depending on your time available perhaps a flight to Vancouver Island and then rent a car.

Nine days is going to be a very short time for such a trip and if you can at all lengthen your time I would recommend doing so.

Finally, in regard to travel in October I would suggest making it as early as possible because day light hours get short in late October and the weather can tend to get a bit risky (snow in the mountains).

Enjoy your trip - it is wonderful to go by train I have done it and also been to Tofino but did not stay overnight.

A float plane ride is now also definitely on the list too, but a quick check on the internet seems to point at flights not going to the Tofino in the autumn (fall). Although I think lengthening the stay is unlikely, I will take your advice about an early October trip, possibly even late September.

Again thank you and thanks to starlagurl and aopaq for their kind suggestions.

Incidentally at the start of the trip I fully intend to have a meal at the top of the CN Tower where I had the most enjoyable meal of my life last time I visited Canada.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 11:36 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Canada

Banff Hotels
Calgary Hotels
Canmore Hotels
Charlottetown Hotels
Edmonton Hotels
Fredericton Hotels
Gatineau Hotels
Grande Prairie Hotels
Halifax Hotels
Hamilton Hotels
Jasper Hotels
Kamloops Hotels
Kelowna Hotels
Kingston Hotels
Laval Hotels
London Hotels
Markham Hotels
Mississauga Hotels
Moncton Hotels
Mont Tremblant Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Niagara Falls Hotels
Niagara-on-the-Lake Hotels
North York Hotels
Ottawa Hotels
Penticton Hotels
Quebec City Hotels
Red Deer Hotels
Regina Hotels
Richmond Hotels
Saskatoon Hotels
St. John's Hotels
Sudbury Hotels
Surrey Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Vancouver Hotels
Victoria Hotels
Whistler Hotels
Windsor Hotels
Winnipeg Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.