Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What to do in Thailand
dym888
post Dec 8 2005, 12:41 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 379
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I'm headed to Thailand for a week in late January. Any suggestions on what I should do? Do I have enough time to do Bangkok and Phuket? Is flying the easiest way down to Phuket? Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

- "Life is not measured by the number of breathes we take but by the places and moments that take our breath away."
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lucky
post Dec 8 2005, 06:29 AM
Post #2

HitchHiker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(dym888 @ Dec 8 2005, 05:41 AM) *

I'm headed to Thailand for a week in late January. Any suggestions on what I should do? Do I have enough time to do Bangkok and Phuket? Is flying the easiest way down to Phuket? Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

- "Life is not measured by the number of breathes we take but by the places and moments that take our breath away."

You'll probably have to fly into Bangkok so I'd set aside a day or 2 to see some of the sites Bangkok has to offer.

I think flying to Phuket would be the best way to go, I think there is a train but the fastest way would surely be flying.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
zzz_massagelondon
post Dec 8 2005, 07:05 PM
Post #3

Explorer

From: http://massagelondon.org THAI MASSAGE LONDON MEDICINE SALON STUDIO HEALTH THERAPY CENTRE WARSZAWA
Member No.: 180

closer to Bangkok you have sleepy Cha Am and upmarket Hua Hin - Phuket is far for such short stay.

Don't forget about Ayuthaya - the former Thai capital - some 60 km north of Bangkok.

Check out Talling Chan floating market in Bangkok with it's traditional teakwood homes and homestays.

Don't forget hours of daily thai massage - the best is from the blind therapists.

QUOTE(dym888 @ Dec 8 2005, 12:41 AM) *

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Barrett
post Jan 8 2006, 10:42 PM
Post #4

Nomad

Member No.: 423

I agree with Lucky that you should set aside a couple days for Bangkok. Stay on Khao San Rd, book everything from there, saves lots of time which is what you don't have. Why Phuket? I would vote for either Krabi to relax, Ko Tao to dive or Koh Phan Ngang to party your bum off. All depends on what you want to do.
Check out these posts then ask some more specific questions.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Mar 8 2006, 03:41 AM
Post #5

Navigator

Member No.: 98

Hi. You can get a sleeper train to Surat Thani and then a half day mini van to Phuket. Although I agree that Krabi is nicer and similar distance.

Consider staying at Siam Square instead of Khao San Rd, as Khao San Rd is not Thailand - it is just seedy back packer hangout - although if that is what you want go for your life.

The North of Thailand is also well worth a visit.

Teaching in Thailand - look up Ajarn.com. You should find plenty of jobs there. Expect to be paid around 30 000 Baht per month. Try to rent a place for less than 5000 Baht per month to help your money go further. The average foreign teacher seems to always spend so much on rent and then has little money from pay to pay, although a typical Thai one room apartment is generally about 2000 - 3000 Baht per month.

Hope that is all very useful. If you do stay, be careful about the expat friends you hang around with. Thailand and Thai culture is amazing and it is such a happy and wonderful place, but so many foreigners just seem to get in the habit of complaining and wanting things to be like their own country. Never forget you are a visitor here - most Thais will do their best to make you feel very very welcome.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 02:56 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.