Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rules for entering Thailand
Paul
post Feb 22 2008, 09:09 AM
Post #1

Navigator

Group: Members
Member No.: 98
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi. Last time I flew into Thailand, during the flight it was mentioned that you needed to show a itinerary or onward ticket out of Thailand to the immigration officials.

I know when trying to get on a plane to Thailand from Australia, they (the Australian airline staff) won't let you on without a onward ticket.

What is everyone's experience of this situation. What is it like coming from different countries? How about over land? What are the rules?

I actually can't answer this, as I enter on a Non Immigrant O (basically a Married Visa), so different rules apply to me. So for you guys that are tourists - what is going on? What do you need to get into Thailand?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Feb 22 2008, 03:24 PM
Post #2

Jet Setter

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 60100

Noone checked any outward tickets or asked anything about future plans when I flew from Heathrow to Bangkok last June... I don't know if its just pot luck regarding the people working at the time then or not... or if its got stricter since then.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
thellie
post Feb 23 2008, 02:59 AM
Post #3

Pathfinder

Member No.: 13877

i get nothing either, and i've entered/left the country half a dozen times in the last year - but then i'm on the same basic visa as paul. i DO know that having your girlfriend's relative working at nong khai border crossing on the laos side is a godsend!

we spent well over an hour getting into the country on the 14th of this month, and walked through with absolutely no checks (her cousin was carrying my passport for me), no queuing and none of the scrum around the visa-on-arrival window that i had on my way there... don't you hate people like me when you see it happen! i know i do, but then i've never been on the privileged side before smile.gif

btw, DO NOT listen to anyone on the nong khai side at the train station/tuk tuk area about getting visas. they'll stiff you for a couple of thousand baht+ ...we did it on the lonesome and paid around 1,300 altogether. i would recommend getting the visa before (or online now i think too... paul?) as it saves the grief at the laos window.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Feb 24 2008, 09:34 AM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

Haven't been in a couple of years but in the number of trips over we've taken, we've never been asked for anything but passports.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
tayka
post Feb 24 2008, 11:08 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 101634

Flying from India (Chennai) to BKK in Feb 08 I was not asked to show proof of onward travel. I have a RTW ticket, but they didn't even ask to see my tickets, and the date of my next flight is over the 1 month limit I can stay anyway.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 07:14 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.