Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Month in Thailand with 5 yr old
treesy
post Jan 19 2010, 01:58 PM
Post #1

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 266583
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hey all,
Am off to Thailand mid march to mid april with our 5yr old son, and would love any tips on where to go and what to do.
Interests are homestays, nature, wildlife, people, quiet, non touristy, basic to basic with pool!reasonably adventurous, dislikes are touristy, theme parks, resorts.
Would really appreciate any up to date info re the north especially. And also an island to finish up on for a week.
Also appreciate any bewares, as had a few mishaps in the past!
Thanks guys, Treesy
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Jan 19 2010, 03:48 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 273790

Did you make any hotel bookings?
Where exactly do you want to go?
So, you are going there for holidays? I have been to Thailand 4 or 5 times, and each time I returned with the best memories. Kind and helpful people however we went there with other people and it was not a trip we had on our own. We spent a week each time, and then when the rest of the group left, we remained for another week on our own each time.
A superb island to finish your holidays I would suggest Koh Samui.
I see however that you don't want to get to touristy places, so I cannot help more.
In some countries especially in Asia you have to be sure that you have a good hotel, and find out details of the place you are planning to stay, the places you want to see. Look everything up in the internet, and get advice from TripAdvisor as well.
It might be a bit risky if you don't want to go to touristy places, and in your case where you dislike resorts with a 5 year old kid. At least be sure that you have some medicine along.
I suggest that you stay in a nice resort hotel since you are with the kid, and get a taxi driver (with very little money) who will show you the whole area around.

--------------------
My LATEST BLOGS: Marmari, Vasa, and CYPRUS, the Unique Destination for Business and Holidays!!!

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Jan 19 2010, 06:16 PM
Post #3

Vagabond

Member No.: 30044

Hi Treesy,
I'd recommend as follows:

North - Chang Mai as a base to explore the north / hill tribes / elephants / cooking experiences / Muay Thai - you could pretty much sort yourself out from there on whether to go it alone or with a group.

The Tiger Temple near Kanchanaburi - the tigers rescued by Thai monks from the Burmese border. People give mixed reviews about this experience, but for me it was 100% true (people say the tigers must be drugged, but when I saw them - despite them being nocturnal - they were very active!!!)

For an island, I'd recommend Ko Lanta to you. There's a lot of Swedish ex-pats there, but as a result, very kid friendly. It's not as touristy as some of the others either, I found smile.gif

Although I've not been myself, I've heard Ko Chang is lovely too (near Cambodian border side)

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
treesy
post Jan 20 2010, 01:06 PM
Post #4

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 266583
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi and thank you,
thanks Kathryn for all your tips, really useful, I saw that tiger place on tv actually, I m sure Sunny would find it fascinating.
Will look into the islands you mention too, thanks Trees
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Jan 20 2010, 07:32 PM
Post #5

Vagabond

Member No.: 30044

Hi Trees,

Glad it was useful - I also just remembered I stayed in a Homestay in Ko Lanta too. It was very basic, but I loved it - if you do it, then you'd need to expect to share a 'dorm style room' with other people - but not that many of them, and they were all quite chilled, so think it would be fine with a child too - here is a link to my blog which has the name etc of the homestay: http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entri...09880/tpod.html

Ask away if you have any more questions. I think your son would LOVE the tiger temple! Here's that entry too if you want to see pics! http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entri...45020/tpod.html

Kathryn

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 06:34 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.