Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> believe it when we see it, burmese junta proposes timetable for democracy
thellie
post Feb 9 2008, 10:55 AM
Post #1

Pathfinder

Group: Members
Member No.: 13877
Nominate me as a Local Expert

latest news out of the military controlled state which violently suppressed opposition marches towards the end of last year, with at least 31 dead, indicates a move towards a democratic government.

however, the timetable is vague and details are few and far between... but read on:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7236648.stm
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Paul
post Feb 11 2008, 03:52 AM
Post #2

Navigator

Member No.: 98

A more cynical view:

Hmmm, I can't wait til democracy gets to Burma. It has been so successful in keeping the rich and powerful in power else where in the world whilst keeping the masses fooled into thinking they get a say. It will immediately fix al Burma's problems.

And there is hardly a better system for getting the rich businesses into bed with the rulers - when the politicians need money for elections and big business needs laws to allow them to exploit resources - everyone wins. Well, except maybe the people and the environment - but that hardly matters - the environment doesn't get to vote and the people will be happy with casting a vote every 3 or 4 years surely. The main thing is we'll see economic growth of 8.14 %. WOW and the such and such index will be at... How exciting
for all those investors.

Should shortly see the economy of Burma booming. The forests will be chopped down and we'll be able to get to all those temples and new resorts much easier. There should be a whole new class system emerge from that and then the poor Burmese girls will be able to find plenty of work prostituting themselves. WOW! All the sex they'll get to have - that'll be great.

OK, sorry - just wanted to get that out of my system. Hmmm, the Burmese have said they intend to have elections in 2010 I think - maybe just a ploy to keep everyone happy - but it is a small step in the right direction. To be honest I'd rather they take small, gentle steps - see above view for what happens when things are rushed. Although the current regime are not at all good - rushing into a new period of instability isn't much of a replacement - hmmm, those elections did wonders for Iraq anf Afghanistan - didn't they?

So I think this statement can be seen as something good - how good? Yeah, we'll have to wait and see.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Feb 24 2008, 03:53 AM
Post #3

Navigator

Hmmm, the latest news on this subject is that they have banned Aung Sang Suu Kyi from standing in the election. This seems rather unfair. She is the leader (under house arrest) of the main opposition party. Last time elections were held she won by a landslide. The results were then ignored and she has been under arrest for most of the time since. Not really very democratic if she doesn't get to run.

But on the good side - maybe that means they are scared and they are actually going to hold some sort of elections???
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Mar 10 2008, 02:30 AM
Post #4

Navigator

Still not much news or progress from what I can hear.

There are some good clips on the Burmese and the various ethnic groups in Myanmar on YouTube. I currently waiting for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfqi6IpFWT4...feature=related
to download and also watched some by brooklynmonk1 who is actually a martial arts video guy. Interesting - He wrote some good stuff about the Shan also and I will put a link to that here soon.

Also I have a video from the Karen - a couple years old now - but showing the situation they were in then - video last seen by me, lending it to Thellie - so please all write to him and tell him to give it back. I also sent copies of it to Australian politicians who were of course silent on the whole matter. (although Senator Bob Brown has raised the issue in the past).

Hmmm, the last issue of Irrawady asked the very arrogant question of why didn't the various ethnic groups come to help when the protests were happening in Rangoon. Hmmm, actually you could ask why haven't the Burmese (or others) helped them in their 50 years of fighting for independence.

It also covered some of the mixed issues with some of the generals of the various armies fighting the Burmese - unfortunately some are mixed up in shady businesses which distract from the aim of fighting the Burmese.

The Irrawady magazine or website is a good source for info on Burmese issues - but it seems a bit political and with a slant to the Burmese opposition - the good guys when compared to the Junta - but not necessarily representing everyone.

Lastly - there has been some recent news about some interest in the various opposition groups and armies in working together more - this is great. If a more coordinated effort against the junta could occur from all sectors of society then there may be some progress. Aung San Suu Kyi has also recently said that she would work with the ethnic groups.

Oh - the new Rambo movie seems a big hit with many people from Burma.

That is it - I hope for the best for the normal people, environment and animals in Burma
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Mar 10 2008, 02:58 AM
Post #5

Navigator

Here is the link to what the martial arts guy wrote on the Shan - good stuff:

http://brooklynmonk.wordpress.com/2008/02/...an-perspective/

So what does all this have to do with you travellers? Good question. 2 things I reckon:

1. Before you go to Burma you should educate yourself on the issues and on what is happening, so as to decide whether you want to go or not go. Remember the Burmese opposition asks you to not go, so as to not to support the junta. So you should seriously consider all this. If you do go, you should know about the situation and issues.

2. I reckon go - and if you do, ensure you talk to as many people as you can, give support and help to people that need it, and engage Burma in the world community. Then go home and tell your friends about it. Make your travelling good for you and the world.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 03:45 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Myanmar

Bagan Hotels
Bago Hotels
Bhamo Hotels
Chaungtha Hotels
Heho Hotels
Hsipaw Hotels
Inle Lake Hotels
Kalaw Hotels
Kalaymyo Hotels
Kengtung Hotels
Kyaikto Hotels
Kyaing Tong Hotels
Lashio Hotels
Magwe Hotels
Mandalay Hotels
Mawlamyine Hotels
Maymyo Hotels
Monywa Hotels
Mrauk U Hotels
Myeik (Mergui) Archipelago Hotels
Myitkyina Hotels
Naypyidaw Hotels
Ngapali Hotels
Ngwe Saung Hotels
Nyaung Shwe Hotels
Nyaungshwe Hotels
Nyaungu Hotels
Pa-an Hotels
Pathein Hotels
Pindaya Hotels
Putao Hotels
Pyay Hotels
Sagaing Hotels
Sittwe Hotels
Taungoo Hotels
Thahtay Kyun Island Hotels
Yangon (Rangoon) Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.