Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Copenhagen
Perl
post Nov 22 2005, 11:51 AM
Post #1

Unregistered

Change of plans.

Spain just died, long live Denmark!!

Anybody know any cheap but decent hostel in Copenhagen??

All I've found so far are about 80euro per night for a double room even with shared facilities, don't you find that kinda steep for a hostel??

Help! ph34r.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Linda Adams
post Nov 22 2005, 06:31 PM
Post #2

Unregistered

Hi! I traveled in Denmark last year and found it really, really expensive compared to other European Union countries. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the place I stayed but just for a comparison to the rate you quoted, I just checked out the rates quoted for Hotel Nebo Copenhagen. They are siginificantly less expensive. Have you tried the Hostelz.com web site or hiusa.org? Good luck. Hopefully someone will be able to reply with a specific recommendation.
+Quote Post
Perl
post Nov 23 2005, 06:48 AM
Post #3

Unregistered

Thanks for the info, but it seems I keep stambling on the same hostels over and over again. You are right about one thing though, it really is far more expensive that any other country I've ever been to.

Awaiting for more suggestions. Spain is slowly but steadily coming back to life....

Thanks again

Perl ph34r.gif
+Quote Post
jenipa
post Nov 23 2005, 07:38 AM
Post #4

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 298

How about looking on websites such as globalfreeloaders.com or couchsurfing.com ? It doesnt cost anything and you get to meet locals. It's not everyones cup of tea, but I hosted a few people to stay when I lived in London and I met some really nice people.

Good Luck!
xx Jen

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jenipa
post Nov 23 2005, 07:53 AM
Post #5

Drifter

Member No.: 298

QUOTE(jenipa @ Nov 23 2005, 09:38 PM) *

How about looking on websites such as www.globalfreeloaders.com or www.couchsurfing.com ? It doesnt cost anything and you get to meet locals. It's not everyones cup of tea, but I hosted a few people to stay when I lived in London and I met some really nice people.

Good Luck!
xx Jen

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
meercatvinny
post Nov 24 2005, 01:13 AM
Post #6

Wayfarer

Member No.: 242

Check these guys out. I stayed with them a good few times and they are some of the best places I have ever stayed in. Great locations, affordable, clean and safe. And they are always very friendly.

This place is

http://www.cab-inn.dk/

If only all hostels were like this place........

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
evamaria85
post Apr 8 2008, 11:45 AM
Post #7

Drifter

Member No.: 1099

Jep, Denmark is really expensive...a 25% VAT will do that to most countries, along with a minimum tax of 40% on what you earn...
But...cheap hostels are to be four Interntional Hosteling has two hostels in Copenhagen, one in the centre and one a bit outside, and last time I checked they were about 150kr (ca. 20 Euro) per person per night in a dorm.

Good luck! gora.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sarahindenmark
post May 5 2008, 07:01 PM
Post #8

Drifter

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 55728

QUOTE(tb66 @ Apr 29 2008, 11:38 AM) *

there are quite a few hostels in copenhagen just google hostels copenhagen and you will find them all. i can't think of the exact name but the official yha in copenhagen (the new one) is really nice. i haven't stayed there but it looks well smart and is in a good location. but in terms of price they are not that cheap i am afraid.

i just got back from living in copenhagen for 4 months. all i can tell you is nothing is cheap and there really is no way to get a great deal. hostels are few and far between. book IN ADVANCE as they often fill up even while charging over $30 a night. another option is to stay at a bed and breakfast. search bed and breakfast, denmark in google. there's a site with tons of listings. when my parents came to visit they stayed in what was basically a private room in someone's house (there's no breakfast in the bed and breakfasts in denmark). they paid about $80 a night for the two of them but got a lot more for their money. a nice, cozy private room in a quiet historical neighborhood and a really nice danish host.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lar4290
post Dec 17 2008, 02:46 AM
Post #9

Wayfarer

Member No.: 115081

Hey. I remember that finding open hostels in Denmark for a reasonable price in May on a weekend (even before peak season) was a challenge. What we ended up doing...the cheapest option we found in the city center was the City Public Hostel <http://www.citypublichostel.dk/>. We elected to stay in the 68-bed dormitory for about 22$ a night (although the dollar has gone down, so it's probably more expensive now). It's definitely the largest dorm-style hostel room I've stayed in, and was somewhat of an adventure in itself (i.e. don't expect a good night's sleep). However, the location was great, about a 10 minute walk to the trian station/town hall/Tivoli.

Copenhagen is definitely the most expensive European city I've been to...but it is one of my favorites too!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sarahindenmark
post Oct 21 2009, 11:17 PM
Post #10

Drifter

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 55728

I lived in Denmark for 4 months and my parents came to visit. Lemme tell you, cheap anything is just not an option. Especially with current exchange rates and the crazy tax rates.

Also, Scandinavian hostels are not your average hostel. They cost more, they are nicer, and 9/10 times they are pretty boring or filled with school groups. Plan on it being JUST a bed for a night...a $30 bed for the night.

Most hostels are part of the Danhostel chain. Copenhagen City hostel is your best bet. It's a high rise right smack dab in the center of town with decent transport connections and within walking distance of Tivoli, the main square, and the shopping street.

If you want a more personalized stay, then do a bed and breakfast. http://www.copenhagenbedandbreakfast.dk/CopenhagenKortGB.htm My parents did this. It was their first time out of the country. Hostels scare the crap outta them and hotels were way out of their price range. "Bed and breakfasts" are often a bed with no breakfast in an extra room that a person rents out for extra income for around 60-80 euro a night (compare to hotels at 200). My parents loved their room and really enjoyed talking to the owner. It can be a bit hard to meet Danish people as they often keep to themselves and this is a great way to meet some of the locals. Just don't expect maid service and breakfast.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
carolgreen616
post Aug 21 2012, 08:04 PM
Post #11

Voyager

Member No.: 3069603

Hopefully someone will be able to reply with a specific recommendation.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 06:04 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.