Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Alone and Female
hr218
post Jan 16 2010, 02:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 668261

Hiya

I'm going to Thailand at the end of Feb and I'm a woman travelling alone. Also it is my first "big" trip away. I plan to get to Bangkok and then get the bus to Koh Pangnang for the FM party. Just a bit apprehensive about arriving in Bangkok. Anyone got any tips of what to do when I first arrive? Cheers.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Jan 16 2010, 08:26 PM
Post #2

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 893

My tip would be to try to arrange your flight such that you arrive in the daytime. If you don't have your accommodation pre-booked, there are hotel booking booths in the arrivals area. Be aware that it is not uncommon for many international flights to arrive at the same time so the arrivals area can be quite hectic.

When I arrive at a new airport I try never to be in a rush and immediately dismiss any touts that try to pressure me to take their cab or go to their hotel. Once I am a bit "settled" and have a bit of a "feel" for the airport, then I look at my options for getting where I want (bus or taxi). I think it helps not to look "lost" but to present yourself as confident and knowing what you want.

Also note that when you first clear immigration and get your visa you will head to the baggage collection area. Near the entry to this area is an exchange booth for changing your money. This may well have quite a line-up and if I recall, there is another at the end of the baggage claim area. You can also change money in the main terminal area but as I said it is often more hectic and there may be more "eyes" (touts/pickpockets or whatever) checking you out as a possible "target".

Finally, odds are that you will meet other travellers in your similar situation that you can hang out with and share possible transportation with downtown so I would not be too concerned about being "alone". Oh and if you want to get a better feel for Bangkok beforehand and have access to GoogleEarth, take a look at the city that way and possibly scope out any area you might want to stay.

Thailand is a great place to visit with many wonderful people. Enjoy your trip!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Jan 17 2010, 05:57 PM
Post #3

Vagabond

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 30044

Hiya, I agree with all of Aopaq's tips ^^^

I'be been in Bangkok twice on my own, and as long as you have your wits about you, it's grand smile.gif

It's quite a long bus journey to Koh Pha Ngan if that's the first thing you're going to do. You might want to check the price of internal flights from Bangkok to Koh Samui (try Air Asia) as it's only a boat ride to Koh Pha Ngan from there...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
hr218
post Jan 18 2010, 08:00 AM
Post #4

Thanks a lot guys thats really helpful. Yea I thought the bus ride would be a bit of a mission after a 14 hour flight I'll have a look for internal flights. I'm sure I'll meet people on the plane too! Thanks, can't wait to go!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wandering_man
post Jan 24 2010, 12:36 AM
Post #5

Wanderer

Member No.: 266022

Only Bangkok Air flies to Samui and their monopoly makes them costly. You cold fly or bus (train? not sure, but Thai trains are GREAT) to Surat Thani and take the ferry .

Suggest you stay in BKK for at least 2 days to shake off jet lag and time change. I hate to refer anyone to Ko San Road, but it is a good place for you to stay in Bangkok, many young travelers and solo females. Often women meet there, hit it off with other females and travel together. Safe, inexpensive, and a good place to get started.

FUll Moon party is a zoo. lots of drunk and stoned white folks. Kinda like Amsterdam with a tan. Hope you get to see Thailand and Thai people while you are there
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Jan 24 2010, 05:06 AM
Post #6

Navigator

Member No.: 98

Yeah, arriving into Bangkok is not a problem - there are tens of millions of tourists coming through Bangkok - so it is all pretty easy. Just follow everyone else.

You won't be alone as there are perhaps 15 - 20 million people living in Bangkok and about half of them are female. And many of the male ones are female too.

I agree to smile and decline offers from the touts.

It is possible to get a train to Surat Thani and then you can get a boat to Koh Pa Ngang from there.

It is a good option. 2nd class sleeper train is quite fine and saves you a night of accommodation.

I agree that it would be a great idea to explore Bangkok for a bit.

Siam Square is convenient to the train station, so may be a choice for backpacker accommodation in Bangkok.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
hr218
post Jan 25 2010, 09:02 AM
Post #7

Thanks for all the great advice! I ended up getting a flight to Samui and am going to just chill on the islands for a bit, see the sights / culture etc and then head up to Bangkok and experience the rest of Thailand. Absolutely cannot wait now!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 04:47 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.