Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bangkok, Thailand Starter Kit, 5 things to try when you visit BKK
lunthom
post Feb 6 2008, 08:19 PM
Post #1

Nomad

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103052

I would like to let you know my hometown Bangkok (BKK) it is the capital of Thailand, which the location is at attitude 130 45’ north and longitude 1000 28’ east, is the tropical land all the year is sunshine and hot weather. It is in the central part of country at the east bank of the Chao Phraya River and it has around 7 million registered populations in the total area of 1568.737 Sq KM and it is fully of friendly Thais people and various cultures blending. Only one day you can visit around the attraction places in BKK do not worry to lost the way if you no have the guidebook because all Thais are welcoming and appreciated to help you with smile. The one important before leave out of your room are you smiling.

5 things to try when you visit BKK

Visit the temple: BKK have many temples. The most popular temple is Wat Phra Kaeo I’m sure that you will not miss to visit there. It is the well-know Many guidebook have the details about it where you can visit maybe have the fee for tourist maybe not if you go the temple which it in the local side just only to pray your respect anyway the most tourist will be visit Wat Pra Kaew , where is the beautiful architecture Thai style

Eating Food : Thai food, which you can find all the price everywhere in BKK even though you are on the footbath, is the famous taste in the world. The tow famous menu “Phad Thai” is the noodle fried with the small pieces of tofu fried, dried shrimp, bean sprout and grind peanut. The most important ingredient is the tamarind sauce.
“Tom Yam Koong” is the clear soup cook with shrimp and mushroom the main taste it sour from lemonade. That two menu is highly recommend if you are still need to try others and cheap price “Khao Kang” is the original Thai food it is rice with curry which you can point out at the food shop.

Shopping : BKK it the wonderland to shopping, it has many department stores low to high end along the BTS line start at the JJ station it is easy for you to take the motorbike taxi pay only 40 Baht you will see the outdoor market Jatujak which it is open only Sat-Sun around 8 am till 6 pm or over for some shop. Today the newly building was built with the air-con and open every day till 8 pm. The stuff selling here is the local made
and variety of products from the top to toe also the living product, gift, souvenir etc.
Tips for buying, the bargain is a must around 20-30% if you are good luck maybe you can get more discount.

Speak Thai : Thai language is easy to practice for Farang the greeting word is “SAWASDEE” to be more polite add the word ending Krab for man or Kha for woman and the thank you word is “KHOBKHUN” Krab or Kha once you try Thais will laugh you for the unclear sound that meaning is not funny actually they are proud in you so do not be shame continuous saying Thai then you will improve and willing to ask for others to trying more.

Adventure on a motorbike taxi: BTS, MRT, Taxi, Bus, Tuk Tuk , Boat and Motorbike taxi all that is the transportation tools in BKK choose it depend on the period because the traffic is very jam in the morning start from 7 am to 10 am , evening 4 pm to 8 pm maybe till midnight if you are on Silom, Rama 1 and Sukhumvit Rd where they are the business center and crowded. In the bad day such raining or accident you will take much more time on the road therefore to save the time Motorbike taxi is popular now It is very fast with a bit adventure it can go in the narrow way between the two cars. Surely it is not safety but sometimes we have do that. The recommendation is you must ask the driver for the helmet to be safety first. Today the most popular is Motorbike why I said that because the 5 stars hotel launched the Motorbike limousine drive by the women for service in the business area in the peak time.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Paul
post Feb 6 2008, 08:37 PM
Post #2

Navigator

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

Hey Lunthom - thanks for that info.

What is your favourite thing to do in Bangkok?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lunthom
post Feb 7 2008, 08:43 PM
Post #3

Nomad

Hi Paul,

All of them I have tried and never think to bore them.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
parenthetically
post Feb 8 2008, 10:26 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 136090

For shopping in Bangkok, you can't forget the whole Siam Square to Chitlom area, where there are five giant shopping malls lined up alongside one another: the market-like MBK, the Siam Discovery, Siam Central, Siam Paragon (high-end stores, but cool food hall - they have an entire cafe selling flavoured butter on toast - plus they have an aquarium) and the massive CentralWorld.
As for the transportation, holding on and flying through the Bangkok night in a tuk tuk is great. It really gives you the "one with the traffic" feeling, and, if you're a Bangkok first-timer, it's the perfect way to live out all the postcard pictures. On a practical note, the subway and skytrain get you where you want to go faster than any other method (assuming you want to go somewhere near a stop) and this will be even faster later this year when you only need one ticket to use both lines, instead of having to buy a seperate ticket each time you reach an interchange. Plus, the machines for buying tickets all have an "english" button, so if you don't read thai you're not forced to wait in the crazy long lines to buy your token.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
hansba
post Feb 18 2008, 10:18 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 143728

HELLO THERE.
THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT INFO
MYSELF AND MY ADULT DAUGHTER ARRIVE IN BANGKOK IN TWO WEEKS.
STAYING AT BANGKOK PALACE HOTEL.
HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK A REASONABLE PRICE WOULD BE TO PAY FOR A TUK TUK FOR THE DAY OR HALF A DAY.
WE WOULD LIKE TO EXPLORE BUT DON'T WANT TO GO TO ANY SET PLACES, JUST WANDER.
ALISON ( HANSBA) ADELAIDE SOUTH AUSTRALIA
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lunthom
post Feb 18 2008, 11:08 PM
Post #6

Nomad

Hi,

Welcome , I don't know the exactly place where you want to go in generally the price call by distance anyway if you call the driver around hotel maybe they will offer you the package for the highlight place. Well, if you don't want to go there just wanna try to transport by Tuk Tuk my advise call Tuk Tuk on the way and show your place example Bangkok Palace hotel to Siam Paragon my estimate price 70-80 Baht/one way.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Feb 19 2008, 12:12 AM
Post #7

Navigator

Yeah - really depends on how much fuel the guy has to use. A whole day??? A guess - between 500 - 1000 Baht.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lunthom
post Feb 19 2008, 01:04 AM
Post #8

Nomad

HI Pual,

I always meet you in forum and you are the expert person for Thailand
I persume that have you lived in BKK for a long time?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
q_tips
post Mar 5 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 150432

hi all..

been to Bangkok last year..for me it was an amazing trip, and it was my birthday when i was there. so double the fun and excitement for me. frantics.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lunthom
post Mar 5 2008, 08:01 PM
Post #10

Nomad

HI,

Nice to here that and hopefully you will be there again & again. Welcome.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Mar 6 2008, 12:46 AM
Post #11

Navigator

Hi Lunthom - I just know a little bit and have been here around 5 years, maybe a little less. But I can try to help sometimes. Ha ha - I think I am an expert compared with someone that knows nothing.

Hi Q_tips - glad you had a great time. Welcome again.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
q_tips
post Mar 6 2008, 07:09 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Paul @ Mar 6 2008, 12:46 AM) *

Hi Lunthom - I just know a little bit and have been here around 5 years, maybe a little less. But I can try to help sometimes. Ha ha - I think I am an expert compared with someone that knows nothing.

Hi Q_tips - glad you had a great time. Welcome again.

thanks for welcoming me Paul and Lunthom..

shared some pics during my stay in BKK party.gif

the view from our hotel room, we stayed at Baiyoke SkyII
IPB Image

and i loved the locals in floating market
IPB Image
credits: me
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Mar 6 2008, 11:00 PM
Post #13

Navigator

WOW!! They're great.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lunthom
post Mar 24 2008, 08:06 PM
Post #14

Nomad

Hi, Q tips,

May I guess , is that the floting imarket n Damnernsaduak Ratchaburee?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
q_tips
post Mar 24 2008, 11:40 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(lunthom @ Mar 24 2008, 08:06 PM) *

Hi, Q tips,

May I guess , is that the floting imarket n Damnernsaduak Ratchaburee?

yeah, thats right...thats the one

we ate the local noodles sold by locals. we also bought fruits like guava for BH30.
the river ride going there was quite an exciting trip. frantics.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lunthom
post Mar 24 2008, 11:43 PM
Post #16

Nomad

Bangkok is also has the floating market but it 's smaller than that one.

Next trip if you visit BKK recommend you Taling Chan Floating market.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lunthom
post Jun 9 2008, 07:53 PM
Post #17

Nomad

what's your located?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
vcmc888
post Jun 26 2008, 09:17 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 204014

Hi all, I'm Victor from Malaysia and new to this forum. I'm actually due to fly to bangkok with my family this coming august. But after booking the air tickets months ago, now there's whole lots of streets protest and demonstrations happening in bangkok. Would it still be safe for us to travel to bangkok? And what are the chances of curfew happening and all of us will have to stay in the hotel for the whole trip? Please advice...thanks a lot.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lunthom
post Jun 26 2008, 09:26 PM
Post #19

Nomad

Hi Victor,

Nice for your asking , Do not change your trip BKK is still safety . The problem is only Phisanulok Rd. near by official residence.
Therefore avoiding the hard traffic do not go around there area it 's fine.

Abount the politic problems are in the parliament meeting then they are clear to the normal soon.

Where is your hotel located?

Welcome to BKK.

Bye ... ON
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Jun 26 2008, 10:13 PM
Post #20

Navigator

I agree. I think KL recently had some big protests. Would you have recommended that tourists come to Malaysia during that time?

The protests in Bangkok - you are unlikely to see them as a tourist. It is safe here and you won't have a problem.

Paul
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 01:44 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.