Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Swimming with dolphins in NZ
Paul
post Feb 3 2008, 08:46 AM
Post #1

Navigator

Group: Members
Member No.: 98
Nominate me as a Local Expert

QUOTE(katieontherun @ Feb 1 2008, 07:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Paul @ Jan 1 2008, 04:13 PM) *

If you got to swim with dolphins in a natural place or were lucky to be swimming when some came and they decided to swim with you, I reckon that'd be fantastic. but I am not sure what other options are available and what they are like.

I know dolphins at Monkey Mia in WA come to get fed. Sounds wonderful, but yeah, is it really yucky???

Hi Paul, you can swim with dolphins in Akaroa, New Zealand, near Christchurch (South Island), as much as you like. The water is freezing but a wetsuit helps and the hectors dolphins are adorable. They are neither fed nor otherwise encouraged to approach boats and yet they do and in large numbers. They love to play and they come really close.

Hey, can you add that into the NZ section somewhere. I reckon I will get to NZ in the next few years and that'd be great to do.

Re your comments on the tigers - I am still very much not convinced. I wouldn't believe the "reliable" documentaries. In fact i wouldn't believe anything on the idiot box - it is usually paid for by someone. The monks building a fenced in whatever - hmmm, perhaps they should check out the concepts of national parks. Anyway. Gota go - hope you are well.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Feb 12 2008, 07:58 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 124

QUOTE(katieontherun @ Feb 1 2008, 07:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Paul @ Jan 1 2008, 04:13 PM) *

If you got to swim with dolphins in a natural place or were lucky to be swimming when some came and they decided to swim with you, I reckon that'd be fantastic. but I am not sure what other options are available and what they are like.

I know dolphins at Monkey Mia in WA come to get fed. Sounds wonderful, but yeah, is it really yucky???

Hi Paul, you can swim with dolphins in Akaroa, New Zealand, near Christchurch (South Island), as much as you like. The water is freezing but a wetsuit helps and the hectors dolphins are adorable. They are neither fed nor otherwise encouraged to approach boats and yet they do and in large numbers. They love to play and they come really close.
Kaikoura is another hot-spot for dolphin swimming as is whale-watching. It's about an hour and a half north of Christchurch and definitely worth it. Swimming with them, in their territory, on their terms is just out of this world..

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 10:43 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in New Zealand

Akaroa Hotels
Arrowtown Hotels
Auckland Hotels
Blenheim Hotels
Christchurch Hotels
Coromandel Hotels
Dunedin Hotels
Fox Glacier Hotels
Franz Josef Hotels
Gisborne Hotels
Greymouth Hotels
Hamilton Hotels
Hanmer Springs Hotels
Hastings Hotels
Hokitika Hotels
Invercargill Hotels
Kaikoura Hotels
Kerikeri Hotels
Lake Tekapo Hotels
Mangere Hotels
Napier Hotels
Nelson Hotels
New Plymouth Hotels
Oamaru Hotels
Paihia Hotels
Palmerston North Hotels
Picton Hotels
Queenstown Hotels
Rotorua Hotels
Russell Hotels
Taupo Hotels
Tauranga Hotels
Te Anau Hotels
Timaru Hotels
Waiheke Island Hotels
Wanaka Hotels
Wanganui Hotels
Wellington Hotels
Whangarei Hotels
Whitianga Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.