Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> border crossing
benjaminsa
post Jan 14 2010, 06:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 659081
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi,

I am flying into Caracas on the second of April and want to go straight to Colombia pretty much, but there is alot of talk that this is impossible because of border conflict and guerilla activity!? Can anyone say what the situation is like there, and maybe what it may be like come april!? It would be very much appreciated!

cheers

ben
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sanchobea
post Mar 25 2010, 08:49 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 620091
Nominate me as a Local Expert

QUOTE(benjaminsa @ Jan 14 2010, 06:40 PM) *

Hi,

I am flying into Caracas on the second of April and want to go straight to Colombia pretty much, but there is alot of talk that this is impossible because of border conflict and guerilla activity!? Can anyone say what the situation is like there, and maybe what it may be like come april!? It would be very much appreciated!

cheers

ben

It all depends on current events.

I am in Colombia currently (Cartagena). We flew from Quito to Cali to Bogota to Cartagena to avoid crossing the southern border by bus because FARC (though beaten back) is still active in the southern regions.

Perhaps a bit excessive (but I'm traveling with my girlfriend and we are at the end of a long journey..so we are playing it extra safe), but there was a bombing in the southwest yesterday..sooooo..

A general rule for Peru, Ecuador, Colombia (and I'd assume Venezuela) is to travel by day and to take the top line buses. This ensures that you get professional drivers that won't fall asleep-pass on a blind curve and that the odds of the bus being stopped by guerillas or theives are lessened.

That being said, I have a friend that lived in Medellin for a while and he took a bus from Caracas to Colombia with no problems.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 11:25 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Colombia

Armenia Hotels
Barranquilla Hotels
Boca Grande Hotels
Bogota Hotels
Bosa Hotels
Boyaca Hotels
Bucaramanga Hotels
Buenaventura Hotels
Cali Hotels
Capurgana Hotels
Cartagena Hotels
Chia Hotels
Cota Hotels
Covenas Hotels
Cucuta Hotels
Girardot Hotels
Guatape Hotels
Ibague Hotels
Islas de Rosario Hotels
Leticia Hotels
Manizales Hotels
Medellin Hotels
Melgar Hotels
Mompos Hotels
Monteria Hotels
Nuqui Hotels
Paipa Hotels
Pasto Hotels
Pereira Hotels
Popayan Hotels
Rionegro Hotels
San Agustin Hotels
Santa Fe de Antioquia Hotels
Santa Marta Hotels
Silvia Hotels
Taganga Hotels
Tobia Hotels
Ubate Hotels
Villa de Leyva Hotels
Villavicencio Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.